Does Koalana still exist?

Sylvan

Reaction score
I am researching ukes and from what I have read, Koalana made some nice ukes. Does anyone sell these anymore? Does Koalana still produce ukes?

I am researching ukes and from what I have read, Koalana made some nice ukes. Does anyone sell these anymore? Does Koalana still produce ukes?

KoAlana is the import brand of KoAloha. I have a KoAlana concert from last year's run. KoAloha is working hard to get this brand right. I love mine. My favorite uke. Don't get put off by the KoAloha website. Their pix haven't been updated in a few years. Everything on there pertaining to KoAlana is out of date.

KoAloha set up a factory in Thailand using machines to duplicate those of the KoAloha shop in Honolulu. It is a work in progress. but if they get it completely straightened out the result will be wonderful.

Thanks for the update. I guess we'll all just have to patiently wait until they reappear. Hopefully when that happens they will have perfected their uke makin process!

The Koalana model that was released last year had some problems, as the wood was made in humid conditions and the wood was separating/cracking in dry conditions. From what I have heard, they have adjusted their assembly process to fix the problem and are going to be releasing an "Opio" line under the Koalana name in the near future.

I hope they do the concert neck soprano pineapple

Pippin's thread with issue 30 of his uke magazine has an interview with Paul Okami and it discusses KoAlana and the issues they've had with humid climate build and then import to dry USA. ( they don't say the issues, but those of us on UU know them from 2012 threads re lifting woods, etc.). They are on hold now, but being tweaked. Pippin's thread is frm last week with the link

Wait here. Click issue 30

http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

Last edited:
I looked a long time at KoAlana before going with a straight-up KoAloha. But I can see rounding out my stable with a KoAlana or two.

I know when I spoke with Pat Okami last time, she said they would probably be released with under Koaloha something. Price will be higher as they are really well made.

Top Bottom