In My Life

Ukulele_Junkie

Reaction score
Thought I'd take a crack at this one. Any constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Maybe if you can give me advice on how to do that one part where i try to pick at 2:01 more smoother, not really liking that part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMYQgCYBDJg

Last edited:
Great job man. I thought you did great through the whole thing, that part your worried about is just super tricky, I would say just practice it a bunch a guess. Sorry i couldn't be more help:eek:. Keep up the awesome work!:D

i thought it was great :p keep it up

When I transcribed this song the part you speak of at 2:01 in your video never did seem quite natural. I could play it and make it work smoothly but I thought there should be a better way. The movement with the index finger from fretted to the open string didn't seem right even though the notes were correct. I messed with it a bit and didn't come up with anything different.

However, after watching your video I did a search and found a newer version of Jake playing it on Youtube. Then the light bulb turned on inside my pea brain of a mind. What he's doing makes the picking somewhat easier and more fluid but he adds another element of difficulty for the person with limited stretching ability up the neck.

The Bb noted on the 1st fret of the A string in my original tab is played on the 6th fret of the 2nd E string. I fret that with my pinky and the Eb on the 3rd C string 3rd fret with my index finger. Then the next part is the stretch. You drop the index finger down to the 2nd fret and the pinky goes up to the 7the fret. So the two chords would look like this in the order of GCEA:
0360 and 0270.

Here is what it looks like as ASCII tab:

Code:
                                   IN MY LIFE

Words and Music by John Lennon, Paul McCartney
Transcribed by Dominator                        Tune Ukulele GCEA

Section B4
|-2---(2)-----2----|-2--0-----------|------------0--(0)--------------0--(0)---------|
|------------------|---------0------|----6--(6)--------------6--(6)----------6--(6)-|
|-4----4--3--(3)---|-1-(1)----------|-3-(3)--------------3--(3)---------------------|
|----------------0-|-------0-----0--|--------0--(0)--0--(0)------0--(0)--0--(0)--0--|

|------------0--(0)--------------0--(0)----------|
|----7--(7)--------------7--(7)----------7--(7)--|
|-2-(2)--------------2--(2)----------------------|
|--------0--(0)--0--(0)------0--(0)--0--(0)--0---|

|------------0--(0)--------------0--(0)---------|-----------0---------|
|----6--(6)--------------6--(6)----------6--(6)-|----7--(7)-----7-----|
|-3-(3)--------------3--(3)---------------------|-2-(2)-----2--(2)----|
|--------0--(0)--0--(0)------0--(0)--0--(0)--0--|--------0----------0-|

Intro 3
|----10------------9-|--(9)--------|----10------------9-|--(9)-5h7--5----------|
|----10--------10-10-|-(10)--------|----10--------10-10-|-(10)--------7\----0--|
|-2s=11--11-12-----9-|--(9)--------|-2s=11--11-12-----9-|--(9)-----------2-----|
|--------------------|-------------|--------------------|----------------------|

Try this out and see if it helps. It definately helped me smooth it out.

There are some other sections that changed as well including Sections A1 and A2. They are also played out of the 7th fret position and it makes much more sense this way. I've also uploaded an updated version of the tab to my site. The original tab is also included as an alternate version for those that might not have the ability to make the stretches. Some of the chord voices are slightly different between the two versions but either will sound good.

Top Bottom