Buying Online instead of Stores

Lugnut

Reaction score
Well I just bought a Acoustic/Electric Lanikai LU-21Te Ukulele for 160 at a store in southern arizona. And I'm looking at all theese online ukulele stores selling it for 130-150. Is that pretty normal, or was I ripped off? Do you suggest buying ukes from the internet?

It depends. From a reputable source like MGM (who has AMAZING customer service!) I would be fine buying online. If, however, you are having to pay a lot for shipping, then you are better off in store if you are lucky to live in a place where they sell the uke you want in retail. One other factor, if the grain of the wood matters to you, perhaps you are better off in store because then you can see the actual ukulele you will be getting.

When I bought my Kanile'a there were two of the same model, but I didn't like the grain of the wood on the other. If I had bought it online, I would not have necessarily seen the exact ukulele I was getting, and I wouldn't have liked it with the blonde streak down the middle.

nothing beats trying the uke first.
MGM will work with you but it still requires some hefty time and money shipping back and forth.
it's a labor of love.

Only if from me. Ha! One may get a better price on line compared to a large retail chain. Just think high overhead and franchise fees = higher prices. On line stores care about their reputation more than a min. wage worker in a large machine corp. operated retail store. That sounded angry, some people in the large stores do care. I just care a lot more!

IMO, I'm quite certain if ordered from online vendors from this forum, they'll back their product to ensure you'll be quite satisfied with your purchase.

Last edited:
I wish I could buy ukuleles in stores. Unfortunately there's not that much of a choice other than a few Mahalos in music shops here.

Musicguymic has a great service but the last time I bought something from him I got taxed the hell out of me, and I know it's not his fault but it was an extra £40 on a £160 ukulele which ticked me off and made me more wary of buying ukuleles online in general.

I try my best to support local stores! Like many these days... we are losing the idea of good people making ends meet. Sometimes the extra dollars to helping out the mom/pop stores supports the ukulele or any interests extend to the neighborhood business. Of course sometimes we can't help but buy a deal of a lifetime! But if I were to just save 10-20... I would put that money to local business. The best part is making friends, and enjoying your ukulele with other people locally!

There will be pros and cons regarding online shopping more so for the overseas customers because of taxes, customs and higher shipping fees.The internet is also a convenient way to acquire a product for those who do not have the resources to buy locally. I believe in supporting local businesses, but in the case of a ukulele, and depending on your locale, your choices are minimal if any.

Very true Kamaka916... there are always great reasons for both. To be honest~ I just purchased one through our buy/sell thread. Would that be considered a local purchase? It is within our fellow UU members:)

Oh I would definetly say local to our community. I think the Marketplace provides our members with the opportunity to sell, trade and acquire a quality instrument. If you look at what's been posted, you see a number of brand names in different cost ranges like Kamaka, Kanile'a, Island Uke, Compass Rose, Kala, Flukes. I also haven't seen any transactions going sour.

Top Bottom