ukes on wall (humidity concerns)

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
I live in San Jose CA and want to hang my ukes on the wall rather than leaving them in cases all the time. But I have several questions.

1. Is the humidity high enough in San Jose for leaving ukes unhumidified on a wall?

2. I'd like to track humidity but don't want to spend a fortune. What's the best option for a 'good enough' hygrometer?

3. I think I'll probably do something similar to this (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/06/uke-minutes-50-diy-cheap-ukulele-wall-hanger/) but if anyone has strong opinions otherwise or advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much. I always learn a ton from UU.

most of the year it is fine to hang ukes in San Jose. A cheap hygrometer works well, I have several brands cheap to expensive and they are all within 2% of each other. 2% shouldn't harm a uke. Winter is a little dry, especially when you run your heat. Summer is a problem only if you run AC. If you use a room humidifier you should be fine, just keep an eye on the gauge. I feel comfortable leaving ukes out in 40-50% humidity and I never have had a crack, even with 70 year old vintage ukes.

Top Bottom