Should I learn the ukulele? How?

eslopez

Reaction score
For these past few months I have been seriously considering trying to learn the ukulele. I already play the trumpet, and since my neighbors don't like it, I practice that solely at my cool. For home, I thought I would practice a different instrument to increase my musical ability. This is why I ask if I should pick up the ukulele and learn how to at. I saw a very nice LU-21TE on Craigslist for $100 (that's another question, is it fine that I start on a tenor as opposed to soprano or concert?). My final question is, how should I learn the ukulele (so, how did you learn)? I will be self taught. Should I learn theory for the ukulele or just learn songs? Where would be some good online sites, YouTube channels, or books I can purchase to teach me? Thank you.

If you can hold and try some different ukes, soprano, concert, tenor, you should buy the size that fits best in your hands, sounds most like you'd like it to sound, and one that's fretboard best accommodates the size and length of your fingers when making chords. A great place to start would be Ukulele for Dummies. If you have good "search engine" skills, (youtube, google, etc.) you can find tutorials for everything including how to hold, strum, tune, finger chords, do a set up, etc. Ukulele Bartt has offered a $1 download on his beginners DVD as a Labor Day special this weekend that I encourage you to get right now..... Great chord exercises on Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. You'll get lots of other suggestions here.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...D-Download-for-1-this-weekend&highlight=bartt

Last edited:
Ukulele Underground lessons at UU Plus. Absolutely the place to start for organized lessons starting at square one. No question in my mind...it's what is called a no brainier.

I learned everything I know thru youtube and UU+. My first instrument was Alto Sax. It was a fun move to something that could produce more then one tone at a time. When you pick one up tuck the bottom end right up against the bend in your elbow. When holding it like this you should be strumming over the frets just above the sound hole. If you have freakishly long arms, like I do, just grab a Tenor and call it good :)

There are many youtube tutorials. Any Mike Lynch video is wonderful. There are also some really good beginner song sites such as ukesterbrown.com. druke.com,scorpexuke.com. The only book I found that was helpful is The Daily Ukulele available on amazon. Check out www.meetup.com for ukulele groups in your area. It helps alot to play with other ukers. Good luck.

I can't think of a good reason NOT to learn ukulele...I think everyone should! Ukulele MIke is great, I learned my 1st song from Lil Rev....
joining a club is a great idea, I now have about 10 new friends!

Anywhere I take my ukulele, I make new friends. Never fails. It draws people to you and spreads joy.

My husband is addicted to Ukulele Mike. So many good resources online and here at UU.

Don't buy off Craigslist. Use a reputable dealer with setup. That uke is only 54 bucks at musicians friend, I think. But contact Mim and she will get you the best bang for your buck.

You should definitely learn the Ukulele. The neighbours won't complain when you practice, as they might if they hear the trumpet riff from Tequila 50 times an evening ;).

As you are a trumpeter, check out this thread, your experience might help this guy with his trumpet problem.

All the best and benvinguts (as we'd say here in Catalonia to welcome you).

Berni (Barbablanca)

I wanna thank you all for the support and help. I am happy to report that I now have a Kohala KP-T tenor ukulele and have started using ukulele bootcamp and ukulelehunt.com until I have time to go to a bookstore and buy the book ukulele for dummies. I love the ukulele from the first C chord I have strummed. I thank you all for the help, and am open to anymore suggestions you may have for me.

Top Bottom