Guitar player just starting Ukelele

Lend27

Reaction score
Any advice that might make the transition easier? Any tips, concerns, insights?
My uke arrives on 9/6, already bought a chord book.
How does learning uke chords affect muscle memory on guitar? Any confusion set in?
Thanks!
Len

Hello and welcome to UU! I am not a guitar player, but all the guitar to uke people on here seem to have had a really good experience, so I think you will love adding ukulele to your repertoire of instruments. What kind of ukulele did you purchase? You are going to have a lot of fun.

I think it'll be easy peasy for you.
I'm trying to learn guitar coming from the uke. The guitar is so much more difficult to learn with the extra strings, small spacing between strings on fretboard, certain chords use only some strings, harder to barre and stretch between frets etc.
I bet you'll be playing the uke like a virtuoso in no time.

Shouldn't affect muscle memory at all because the chord shapes are the same, just trasposed. Eg, the shape that would be an open D maj chord on guitar is a G maj chord on 'ukulele. Although they are tuned differently, the intervals between strings are the same on both instruments (top four strings on guitar going by pitch).

Tip: Light touch! Uke strings are easier to bend out of tune with heavy fretting pressure than steel guitar strings.

EDIT TO ADD: It may seem at first that ukes are impossible to tune, to get to stay in tune and to play in tune. There is a certain knack to 'ukulele. once you start to develop that knack they do play in tune, and sound great.

Hello and welcome to UU! I am not a guitar player, but all the guitar to uke people on here seem to have had a really good experience, so I think you will love adding ukulele to your repertoire of instruments. What kind of ukulele did you purchase? You are going to have a lot of fun.

I bought a concert size deluxe with maple binding and bone nut and saddle from Koa Pili Koko (KPK).
It's a beauty :). Heard good things about them also.

Len

Transitioning from guitar to ukulele is straight forward enough. A baritone ukulele is equivalent to a guitar but you don't play the two bass strings. The concert is the same with a capo on fret 5.

Anthony

I bought a concert size deluxe with maple binding and bone nut and saddle from Koa Pili Koko (KPK).
It's a beauty :). Heard good things about them also.

Len

You started with a beauty Len. Best thing you could have down was find a nice uke and KPKs are stellar. I especially like the concert size as well.

I played guitar for sometime before picking up a uke. After a very short time things just clicked. All of a sudden that high g and 4 strings just made sense. All you know about guitar applies and for a little bit you will likely have to think through things, but it doesn't take long and you will have a lot of fun.

I've found it not only easy but so much fun, that I play uke much more than I play guitar, and I've played guitar for years.

As stated before, a D chord is a G chord, the intervals are the same...

E minor was the biggest problem chord for me, but practice makes perfect.

Straps? We don't need no stinking straps!

Even after a couple of years, I still find myself occasionally fingering a G chord on the uke when I see the 'D' on a piece of music (etc.), but not all that often, and it's very minor compared to the advantage you have of already knowing the fingering positions.

The transposition may take a while, and the lack of the lower strings can be a little confusing at times, but you already knowing the fingering patterns for chords will be a really big advantage, and you'll be playing comfortably in no time. Have fun!

Top Bottom