PDA

View Full Version : The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

decaturcomp
08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Should there be a place for posts that fall outside of the rules for a particular season? Multitrack haven? Limitless posts?

Well, the above was the question I asked when I started this place and posted the first song, which I wrote for the occasion of not wanting to be limited to the caprices of a particular season but not wanting to be dickish to our lovely hosts. Now, I guess the Island has become part of the Seasonistas' way of doing business. Thanks for being part of it.

Now, our brother RedPaul101 has started a playlist of the Island of Misfit Seasonistas which is already up to a volume 2. He reasons, rightly, that we should have an unlisted playlist (you need the link, no one will stumble upon our little thing) to listen to without repeats and so on. So, here thanks to Paul is

The Misfit Playlist Vol. 1 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=edit_ok&list=PLo6LNdV3F-sE75qheFYtfrvABl32djwcY) roughly through the end of November 2013
and
Misfit Playlist Vol. 2 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo6LNdV3F-sG3xWhSQ3A_une_PvBTLccN) the road goes ever on...
Thanks everyone who has posted or watched here and especial thanks to Paul for being our historian.
Party on.

Misfit Playlist Vol. 3 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGBBBsLi6MEVfOTtwSdNR03FfnFXbk5Ij) Thanks AGAIN to new volunteer BigDaddyUker/BigRockPapa for picking up the ball and running with the Playlist idea begun by RedPaul! You guys are both awesome. This dates to early October 2014

Misfit Playlist Vol. 4 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGBBBsLi6MEWNsEld0e_6TGTNU3scbtYB) Beginning with Jan 2015, thanks Big Daddy Uker!

I have an idea that, at sometime inthe future folks will come to these playlists and let them roll through to see what was REALLY on our minds while we were thinking about the assignments we got from our awesome hosts each week.

decaturcomp
08-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Sometimes I'm a bad Seasonista. I get wrapped up in a season and post more than the maximum number of posts. It's not that I don't respect the hosts; I do. It's just that I am too enthusiastic about a season and I suppose I tend to "stand in the doorway and block up the halls". I'm sometimes sad when I see that folks can't do multittacking for a particular season, not that I'm anyone who does that anyway but I really love some of the things that other folks do.

ANYway...should there be a place like this for a shadow season where folks can post things that aren't bound by the rubrics of the current season but are still part of that information that wants to be free?

If not, I respect that, too. I don't really want to provide a solution without a problem.

xoxo,
alan

decaturcomp
08-31-2013, 12:29 PM
A note from Ukuleledaddy:
"First of all, I love your enthusiasm for the Seasons. Secondly, I thought the idea during Ska week to cover the entire The Harder They Come album was a ton of fun. Maybe there could be a Seasons supplement forum where each week/every other week/every month/whatever somebody can choose an album and anyone who wanted to contribute their take of a song from that album could drop it there. The album could be related to the week's theme or just some random great album. The thread for each album could be open for the length of the week or be always open so people could submit their cover whenever the mood strikes. So, there's one idea."

pabrizzer
08-31-2013, 12:33 PM
I think its a pretty good idea. Not many seasonistas will need to use it though but I am one who gets a little too enthusiastic sometimes too. I reckon there would be 4 or 5 seasonistas who would sometimes post should it be done.
I actually liked the ONE official entry and then the rest were bonus vids.
I know it can sometimes be hard for the host to keep on top of all the entries so an extra thread where they don't have to come is a good plan imho.
Your idea your job to start the thread though.:)

myrnaukelele
08-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Your idea your job to start the thread though.:)

Maybe this is it???

pabrizzer
08-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Maybe this is it???
I think his plan is to have one for each season??
Or just this one for the overflow posts??

GinnyT11
08-31-2013, 12:50 PM
It's a good idea, Alan, to have a place for general conversation that relates to the Seasons without being about a particular Season.

Most Seasons accept endless bonuses, but some hosts limit the number to make it easier to manage the week's comments. Seems like those Seasonistas who want to post more than the limit would be glad to find a place to do so. It could be a place to announce a separate thread for Sean's idea of highlighting a particular album (e.g., "Hey, Seasonistas, join me over at __ thread to make covers of every song on Dark Side of the Moon.")

Don't make a new thread each week: Let it be like the "seasonal anticipation" thread, where it's activated when someone has a thought.
I think the thread should be very general and not be a "shadow season" that distracts from the active Season or takes away from that host's fun. Maybe let it be an appendix to a Season that follows it after it's closed.

UncleMoon
08-31-2013, 12:59 PM
I think his plan is to have one for each season??
Or just this one for the overflow posts??

I suggest one for each season so the theme doesn't get lost. Call it The Other Season 80 (or whatever number).

uke4ia
08-31-2013, 01:14 PM
To me, this is an argument for having Bonus Track playlists. Weekly hosts may have to point out that they do not promise to make time to watch/comment on every Bonus Track. But it provides a good place to exhibit tracks from the "overzealous", and videos someone made previously that fit the current theme.

Barbablanca
08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
As the nervous host of week 81 (asking myself already what I have let myself in for :rolleyes:) I second this idea. :o

pabrizzer
08-31-2013, 01:26 PM
I suggest one for each season so the theme doesn't get lost. Call it The Other Season 80 (or whatever number).
That makes most sense to me but we already have a "Don't
It would rarely be needed as most times (or it used to be the way) you are able to post as many bonus vids as you are inspired to do.
It is just my opinion but I don't like seeing videos from previous seasons reposted in a new season as a bonus but that is only because I have already seen them.
Having this extra thread when needed could mean the host can concentrate on the official entries without a lot of the extra banter that sometimes goes on.

pabrizzer
08-31-2013, 01:36 PM
To me, this is an argument for having Bonus Track playlists. Weekly hosts may have to point out that they do not promise to make time to watch/comment on every Bonus Track. But it provides a good place to exhibit tracks from the "overzealous", and videos someone made previously that fit the current theme.

Just pointing out that .......
The host does have to create that playlist and watch at least part of the bonus video to place it in the playlist because it can only be done in YouTube. In a busy season keeping track of all the entries and bonus vids does take time.
It is what hosting is about and I enjoyed doing it on the seasons I hosted so it is not a complaint from me just a clarification.

decaturcomp
08-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks pals.

All good thoughts.

I tend to agree that an entire thread within this topic or elsewhere might be overkill. Maybe, when we read the rules and there is a rubric we want to respect but don't want to interrupt the flow of the host's season, we can start a new thread here. Season 100 Unbound or something. After all, it is sort of an homage to the host's brilliant theme but i don't want to make the job any harder than it has to be for anyone.

We haven't had seasons with the limitation on bonuses much until lately so this might not happen often. As I mentioned, though, it might be nice to have a place where multitrackers can let their creative impulses run wild. It seems to me that the initial thought on banning multitrack might have been that it's sort of a different playing field, not just music but also technology and mad skills that not everyone has. That makes sense, too. But when I think of the amazing multitrack stuff that comes out of the seasons where it's allowed, I wonder what the harm would be of having an additional venue for that creativity.

and (just because I'm a self-identifying jerk) when hosts say something like "The week is Car Songs but NO Beachboys!" Folks can come here and display their 'she's real fine, my 409' chops.

UncleMoon
08-31-2013, 01:42 PM
It's a good idea, Alan, to have a place for general conversation that relates to the Seasons without being about a particular Season.

Most Seasons accept endless bonuses, but some hosts limit the number to make it easier to manage the week's comments. Seems like those Seasonistas who want to post more than the limit would be glad to find a place to do so. It could be a place to announce a separate thread for Sean's idea of highlighting a particular album (e.g., "Hey, Seasonistas, join me over at __ thread to make covers of every song on Dark Side of the Moon.")

Don't make a new thread each week: Let it be like the "seasonal anticipation" thread, where it's activated when someone has a thought.
I think the thread should be very general and not be a "shadow season" that distracts from the active Season or takes away from that host's fun. Maybe let it be an appendix to a Season that follows it after it's closed.

I like this idea. I think there's a place for a thread like this too.

lakesideglenn
08-31-2013, 04:49 PM
I think that whatever you have in mind should in no way be connected to the Seasons because it would only detract from the Seasons.
Why not just start a thread called "Alan's Playhouse" or "Alan's Backyard" for the handful of you who need to post infinite numbers of songs on any topic?
No offense intended amigo...just saying the Seasons are fine the way they are and the number of entries and rules should be set by the host each week and adhered to!

decaturcomp
08-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Duly noted.

I think that whatever you have in mind should in no way be connected to the Seasons because it would only detract from the Seasons.
Why not just start a thread called "Alan's Playhouse" or "Alan's Backyard" for the handful of you who need to post infinite numbers of songs on any topic?
No offense intended amigo...just saying the Seasons are fine the way they are and the number of entries and rules should be set by the host each week and adhered to!

TCK
08-31-2013, 06:25 PM
A place for us to be excited to the point of obnoxious and not piss anyone off? This is the Big Rock Candy Mountain Alan- A great idea. Part of me had always hoped the train songs thread would serve this purpose... but yeah. This is solid gold brain work right here.

uke4ia
08-31-2013, 06:53 PM
I agree with lakesideglenn that if you're going to do it, it's better to have a single thread like this one rather than making a new thread for each season. You don't want it to be a remora clinging to the underside of the Season. (Wild-ass visual metaphor completed) This thread can be a virtual front porch to sit back on and kick some songs around.

decaturcomp
08-31-2013, 08:26 PM
With or without multitracking but with love and respect for our hosts.
Or, if you have a problem with this...don't.
xoxox,
alan

decaturcomp
09-01-2013, 02:55 AM
I started this out of a sense of guilt for overtopping the restrictions. I was self-deprecating and explained all that. I seem to have forgotten that most folks only skim the Cliff Notes at best.

Also, I suppose I took to heart the disengagement from the Seasons that made a couple of folks Calvinistically uncomfortable. So I just moved from under the Seasons umbrella and stayed under "Contests". That's probably wrong, too but I think it is certainly an extension of the Seasons and not any sort of red headed step child (although I'd take that description).

Anyway, it did lead me to a pastiche-ish mission statement yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGfyRHYDTw

Just Do it Your Own Way
Based on "I Threw It All Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLwhDb7J7TY)" By Bob Dylan

Once I had rulebooks
commin' out of my ass
thought i was happier that way

But now I'm certain
It was me that I was hurtin'
I couldn't live that way
I couldn't live that way

Rules are important
Well, at least as a rule
People love you til' you disobey

But I felt cramped
With my actions being clamped
I couldn't live that way
I couldn't live that way

Rules are often good
The trains all run on time
If you're lost in the woods
They say, "Go this waaaaaaay!"

But some day you'll find out
There's only so much you can grind out
If you always live that way
If you always live that way

Now, I'm a rule maker
but I'm pretty lax
I guess there's not much more to say

But unless you're frightened
That someone else's needs are slightened
Just do it your own way
Come on do it your own way

peewee
09-01-2013, 06:18 AM
As long as I can continue to do car songs, I'm all for it

decaturcomp
09-01-2013, 09:36 AM
You're the man.

As long as I can continue to do car songs, I'm all for it

austin1
09-03-2013, 08:57 PM
is this like a PoHo thread for the seasons, or is it just seasons-related things?

If the former, holy crap, field research is hard yo. Plus side, we got invited over to a Nahuatl-speaking household the other day and I fed the cow in the front yard. Also, a researcher we were talking to today told us we need to hide our lesbianism in more conservative areas. We were not aware that we were lesbians. Also, we may or may not have office space in a haunted palace that used to be the headquarters for the inquisition in mexico.

If the latter, ignore all this. Go seasons, yay!

decaturcomp
09-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Lets go with the poho thing.

Imagine de noive of dat guy outing you to yourselves!

Field woik! Could be for the boids of a feather?

is this like a PoHo thread for the seasons, or is it just seasons-related things?

If the former, holy crap, field research is hard yo. Plus side, we got invited over to a Nahuatl-speaking household the other day and I fed the cow in the front yard. Also, a researcher we were talking to today told us we need to hide our lesbianism in more conservative areas. We were not aware that we were lesbians. Also, we may or may not have office space in a haunted palace that used to be the headquarters for the inquisition in mexico.

If the latter, ignore all this. Go seasons, yay!

Stephen Reed
09-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes, Alan. I think there should be such a non-season.

decaturcomp
09-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks Steve. Click my signature below to go to a link to post any video any time. If the season is limited, no multitracking, only 1 or 2 entries, and you want to post something else and not break the rules, you can put it there. If you just want to post a random video, that's fine, too. If it turns out not to be useful to anyone, that's okay...it'll fade away.

wee_ginga_yin
09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
"Smile" is a song, originally used as an instrumental theme in the soundtrack for the 1936
Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times. Chaplin composed the music. While some believe the
words were written by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons.

Many people have sung this song but I have always wondered what it would have sounded
like it Nol Coward had sung it.

It has a delightful melody but I am not so sure of the advice contained in the song.
Hiding every trace of sadness to my mind would be a decidedly unhealthy thing to do.
Emotions need to be expressed not repressed.

Do things really get better if you smile? The unemployed get a job, the dying make a recovery,
the bankrupt become financially secure... just because they smile. Don't think so.

Perhaps it is just hinting that we should have a positive outlook on life, but at the same time
I can't help wondering if we followed the advice of the song we would be masking our true emotions.
Remember in "Strictly Ballroom" Scott's mother even though in torment always had to have on her "happy face"

Anyways I can imagine Noel in the cocktail lounge tinkling the ivories of his piano and crooning
away to the troops going off to fight against Hitler.

Smile boys.. war REALLY isn't SO bad.

I tried to do this song straight with my normal voice by just could not do it because of the discongruity
between the words of the song and the human experience, but I could sing it as Nol Coward because
he personifies the British stiff upper lip mentality... and i get to give a wry little smile at the end
THis is a FAIL for the heartbroken season because of the multi tracking, the false voice,
the straw hat, the waistcoat and some seriously tampered with ukulele which has a
perverse reverse loop running through it in the background and some overlaid twiddly bits,
and besides it is OLD... but I like it cos it is inventive, and because of the delicious
absurdity of some of the comments.

Very interesting and it half confirms a theory I have had for a long time
namely the weather is controlled by the facial expressions of the masses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-AkNgUhw9U

TCK
09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Gotta say- I am not really worried about what the host does in a season, but playing over at season 82 feels like someone asked you to play a song and then left the room. I suppose I am used to at least the host being my captive audience, and then having to say something my mom would say- gratifying if not all together far from genuine.
Myrna called for Hank- I figured the house over here will at least watch me suck, and I could not resist.
Officially planting my pigs head on a stick in your white sandy beach Alan. I have come to make bad music. Lots of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVXOfGIR1s&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaddy
09-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Gotta say- I am not really worried about what the host does in a season, but playing over at season 82 feels like someone asked you to play a song and then left the room. I suppose I am used to at least the host being my captive audience, and then having to say something my mom would say- gratifying if not all together far from genuine.
Myrna called for Hank- I figured the house over here will at least watch me suck, and I could not resist.
Officially planting my pigs head on a stick in your white sandy beach Alan. I have come to make bad music. Lots of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WVXOfGIR1s&feature=youtu.be
Super nice Dave. I'm not familiar with this song but I dig it. The sort of tune I would imagine to be played late in the evening by a dying campfire.

TCK
09-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I can almost see the embers...
Super nice Dave. I'm not familiar with this song but I dig it. The sort of tune I would imagine to be played late in the evening by a dying campfire.

librainian
09-15-2013, 07:33 PM

As Ukedaddy sez, I've got that virtual campfire song swapping feeling around here. Cheers mate!

we tigers
09-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I like this island. I don't have any videos to post (yet?), but it'sa good place to hang out and read and listen a little!

Shady Wilbury
09-16-2013, 04:44 AM
I recorded this during a marathon session where I was trying to get a song down for Season 83. I didn't get the Season 83 track down, but here's my version of 'Steel Rail Blues' by Gordon Lightfoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJwrzSyvKn8

xommen
09-18-2013, 07:37 AM
After seeing Brian do this in Season 83, I like it a lot so i decided to also record it, I guess here is as good a place as any. Luka Bloom - I am not at war with anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moR0O6DyT4I

GinnyT11
09-20-2013, 07:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uk6vn8jIFc

I "pastiched" this song into something we can sing here on Alan's Island of Seasonista Misfits.

decaturcomp
09-20-2013, 01:38 PM
An extra for the emotional rescue season of the ukeulele this week. We were allowed 3 and I have 2 in and one I want to try as a duet with Terri, so here's my throwaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiPurYmfI

Hippie Dribble
09-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Hey Alan, just moving onto the seasons board...

redpaul1
09-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Hah! Knew that 'Al' had to be short for something!

http://youtu.be/G29DXfcdhBg

decaturcomp
09-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks pal. Most kind of you.

uke4ia
09-21-2013, 06:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuCFXClp9g

I did four songs for Season 83 and still had this Richard Thompson cover left over. I started playing it in Season 82, and just couldn't let it go.

ukuLily Mars
09-21-2013, 04:38 PM
I "pastiched" this song into something we can sing here on Alan's Island of Seasonista Misfits.

This is adorable! Thanks, Ginny!

decaturcomp
09-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Oh, gosh. I never knew you folks had been posting here already. Thank you! What a lot of fun. I'm off to listen!!

uke4ia
09-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh, gosh. I never knew you folks had been posting here already. Thank you! What a lot of fun. I'm off to listen!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nMuCFXClp9g

Are we supposed to post on this thread? Oh. I posted this on the "Post Your Videos on any Theme in any number" thread last week.

UkeyDave
09-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Can I ask a question? I like the idea of"Islands of misfits" but it has me ever so slightly confused. Can anyone explain how this thread differs from the links and videos thread. I hope you don't mind me asking that question as I'd like to make sure I fully understand the idea behind it folks. I think I'd like to post here but wanted to be sure I was doing it in the right thread. Thanks - Dave.

Tootler
09-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Can I ask a question? I like the idea of"Islands of misfits" but it has me ever so slightly confused. Can anyone explain how this thread differs from the links and videos thread. I hope you don't mind me asking that question as I'd like to make sure I fully understand the idea behind it folks. I think I'd like to post here but wanted to be sure I was doing it in the right thread. Thanks - Dave.

As I understand it, this thread is for those videos you would have posted if the current week's host hadn't ignored your advice and written the rules you asked him/her to write. :)

The links and videos is for any video & a few seasonistas post their current entries there as well.

peewee
09-25-2013, 07:37 PM
This may or may not be my best foot, it's hard to tell, but they're having a Beatles vs. Stones month over at Ukulele.fr so I had to come down on the Stones side, Here's Dear Doctor from Beggar's Banquet just for laffs

http://youtu.be/FO5RErL25RY

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 02:07 AM
I think this would be a great entry.

I tried it once and it came out sounding like bad Monty Python....

Good lead lines, too.

This may or may not be my best foot, it's hard to tell, but they're having a Beatles vs. Stones month over at Ukulele.fr so I had to come down on the Stones side, Here's Dear Doctor from Beggar's Banquet just for laffs

http://youtu.be/FO5RErL25RY

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Hi Guys,

Here's my story on this. I started this one for a place to add bonuses that weren't allowed in the actual contest in order to stay out of the way of the host of any particular season just because these themes won't leave me alone sometimes.

Someone, I forget who, indicated that this would besmirch the virginal purity of the seasons and that I should take my impertinance elsewhere. So I did and started the 'do what you want, post what you want' thing under contests. I didn't see any way to remove this forum so I thought it would just die a dead death and sink to oblivion at the bottom of the list of other misfit forums.

Imagine my surprise when Ginny told me that folks had continued to post here, so I think this is the happy place to stay if you all agree and the other one can either be deleted (okay eugeneukulele? I don't know if I have the authority to do so but maybe you can?) and we can stay here and grow and prosper and have some fun or not as the spirit moves us,

Sound good?

As I understand it, this thread is for those videos you would have posted if the current week's host hadn't ignored your advice and written the rules you asked him/her to write. :)

The links and videos is for any video & a few seasonistas post their current entries there as well.

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 02:19 AM
Ginny!!
Thank you, thank you!
This is lovely. I grinned, I cried....
Just exactly perfect.
and, thank you again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uk6vn8jIFc

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Beautiful, Rob. You may not believe it but the Sun shone out from behind yon clouds as I played this on a rainy night in Georgia. Also, my hibiscus bloomed at night for the first time ever!! Gasp!!!

"Smile" is a song, originally used as an instrumental theme in the soundtrack for the 1936
Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times. Chaplin composed the music. While some believe the
words were written by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons.

Many people have sung this song but I have always wondered what it would have sounded
like it Nol Coward had sung it.

It has a delightful melody but I am not so sure of the advice contained in the song.
Hiding every trace of sadness to my mind would be a decidedly unhealthy thing to do.
Emotions need to be expressed not repressed.

Do things really get better if you smile? The unemployed get a job, the dying make a recovery,
the bankrupt become financially secure... just because they smile. Don't think so.

Perhaps it is just hinting that we should have a positive outlook on life, but at the same time
I can't help wondering if we followed the advice of the song we would be masking our true emotions.
Remember in "Strictly Ballroom" Scott's mother even though in torment always had to have on her "happy face"

Anyways I can imagine Noel in the cocktail lounge tinkling the ivories of his piano and crooning
away to the troops going off to fight against Hitler.

Smile boys.. war REALLY isn't SO bad.

I tried to do this song straight with my normal voice by just could not do it because of the discongruity
between the words of the song and the human experience, but I could sing it as Nol Coward because
he personifies the British stiff upper lip mentality... and i get to give a wry little smile at the end
THis is a FAIL for the heartbroken season because of the multi tracking, the false voice,
the straw hat, the waistcoat and some seriously tampered with ukulele which has a
perverse reverse loop running through it in the background and some overlaid twiddly bits,
and besides it is OLD... but I like it cos it is inventive, and because of the delicious
absurdity of some of the comments.

Very interesting and it half confirms a theory I have had for a long time
namely the weather is controlled by the facial expressions of the masses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-AkNgUhw9U

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Hi Folks,

Why don't we ditch this forum for Island of Misfit Seasonistas (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas). I only started it because of one comment indicating that I shouldn't associate any such twaddle with the Seasons but, after some thought, this one just adds to confusion and, I don't really mind being criticized so. I'll see you here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas).

Thanks for your help and comradeships!

UkeyDave
09-26-2013, 02:51 AM

Thanks Geoff (and Alan)

Tootler
09-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Hi Guys,

Here's my story on this. I started this one for a place to add bonuses that weren't allowed in the actual contest in order to stay out of the way of the host of any particular season just because these themes won't leave me alone sometimes.

Someone, I forget who, indicated that this would besmirch the virginal purity of the seasons and that I should take my impertinance elsewhere. So I did and started the 'do what you want, post what you want' thing under contests. I didn't see any way to remove this forum so I thought it would just die a dead death and sink to oblivion at the bottom of the list of other misfit forums.

Imagine my surprise when Ginny told me that folks had continued to post here, so I think this is the happy place to stay if you all agree and the other one can either be deleted (okay eugeneukulele? I don't know if I have the authority to do so but maybe you can?) and we can stay here and grow and prosper and have some fun or not as the spirit moves us,

Sound good?

Alan,

Why not PM Jon & see if he'll combine two threads?

If seen it done on other forums I belong to when two closely threads are running.

UkeyDave
09-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Here's one that fits the bill for this thread then. I was going to enter it in Season 84 and then re-read the rules and realised its one entry each. So with best foot in mind I decided to look at my youtube viewings. This one is number two in my viewed entries by quite some way but on closer inspection of the data I realised its actually the ONLY song where the minutes watched exceeds the number of views so in effect this would make it the most popular one wouldn't it? Anyway, here is a remake with a percussionist whose fee was most agreeable ;-) I've tried it in a different key that is slightly better suited and less straining to my voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XFeG--FF8

UncleMoon
09-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Ginny told me that folks had continued to post here, so I think this is the happy place to stay if you all agree and the other one can either be deleted (okay eugeneukulele? I don't know if I have the authority to do so but maybe you can?) and we can stay here and grow and prosper and have some fun or not as the spirit moves us,

Sound good?

a) sounds good; and
b) i think you can lock the other thread yourself so nobody can post to it and it dies that death you spoke of.

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 01:52 PM
This is a great one. I'd have had a hard time choosing, too.
Good deal on the percussionist. He could have charged a lot more, I'm sure!

Here's one that fits the bill for this thread then. I was going to enter it in Season 84 and then re-read the rules and realised its one entry each. So with best foot in mind I decided to look at my youtube viewings. This one is number two in my viewed entries by quite some way but on closer inspection of the data I realised its actually the ONLY song where the minutes watched exceeds the number of views so in effect this would make it the most popular one wouldn't it? Anyway, here is a remake with a percussionist whose fee was most agreeable ;-) I've tried it in a different key that is slightly better suited and less straining to my voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XFeG--FF8

TCK
09-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Seems we have two threads to do this in now...I like the title of this one better so here we go.
Billy Joe Shaver, again.
The hell with Bill and his one video limit ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZzZg9j4bE&feature=youtu.be

decaturcomp
09-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah, we're keepin' this one. I asked eugene to ditch the other un when he has a minute since i has no contol over, well, just about anydamnthing.

Now you know you love Bill like we all doo. I love all hosts because hosting is a thankless job. I respek that they don't have all the time in the world to listen to my diarreahic output, so a clubhouse, yes? Mostly for me and you and like minded souls to keep from affronting other more delicate folks' sensibilities to the rule of law. Love and kisses to all especially hosts!!

smooch,

alan

ps speakin of rules breakers....here be jerry lee's version of the lyrics to sing out brothers and sisters!

Bottom dollar, it looks like the end
Oh, how I hate to see you go
Oh, bottom dollar we've been the best of friends
I guess I counted on you a hundred times or more
Oh my, how those eagles fly
Goodbye, bottom dollar, goodbye
Give it to me, boys
Oh bottom dollar
Well, all your friends are gone
They've been blown
On the dancehall girls and wine
Oh, bottom dollar
Well, now if the truth was known
You've been the best friend the killer's ever known
(Think about that, darlin')
Oh, my how those eagles fly
Goodbye, bottom dollar, goodbye
(Let's get it, get it, get it)

Seems we have two threads to do this in now...I like the title of this one better so here we go.
Billy Joe Shaver, again.
The hell with Bill and his one video limit ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZzZg9j4bE&feature=youtu.be

decaturcomp
09-28-2013, 08:41 PM
family funtime along with skidoo who's kiddos are around somewhere but not in this tune
part of an all night sing and supper on the ground when our kids and grandpunks were here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00MjEzyISL8

Shady Wilbury
09-28-2013, 11:11 PM
This is what music is all about...thanks to both of you for sharing. Brilliant Carter Family style ending.

TCK
09-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Now you know you love Bill like we all doo. I love all hosts because hosting is a thankless job. I respek that they don't have all the time in the world to listen to my diarreahic output, so a clubhouse, yes? Hahaha- Well of course I do! He knew one song would be a kick in the gut for some of us ;)
thanks for the sing-a-long!

23skidoo
09-29-2013, 06:16 AM
hehehe.... I love you guys and your innumerable video shenanigans. Thanks for playing along with my 'focus on one tune' theme this week - Alan knows, I can be a bit OCD about working on a particular tune and I was trying to inflict my neurosis on the Seasonista community at large. Believe me though, Dave, that Shaver tune tempts me to bend the rules a bit....

ukuLily Mars
09-29-2013, 03:46 PM
hehehe.... I love you guys and your innumerable video shenanigans. Thanks for playing along with my 'focus on one tune' theme this week - Alan knows, I can be a bit OCD about working on a particular tune and I was trying to inflict my neurosis on the Seasonista community at large. Believe me though, Dave, that Shaver tune tempts me to bend the rules a bit....
Bill, I understand. Some maniac posted 16 videos during my Season.* (And by some strange coincidence, did you know there was a racehorse named Shenanigans?)

*Okay, this was actually awesome.

TCK
09-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Now you are just egging me on Lily...
Please don't feed the animals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r8oRYDvsso&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
10-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Is this the Killers or did I KILL it? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIXw-nUbqU

decaturcomp
10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Splendid, Son, one of your best!!
Bring me more songs, please.
I'm too wrapped up with rehearsal/performances this week to even get on video done so far and it's Thursday!
but it's been blissful. I'll tell you all about it under the Joshua Tree infinitly starred sky one day.

Now you are just egging me on Lily...
Please don't feed the animals

decaturcomp
10-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Didn't know this one before somehow but it's just my kind of song.
Thanks for bringing it and if not killing it certainly breathing great life into my day.
Love yer singin' here, brother.

frisbee fred
10-03-2013, 08:16 AM
I just saw where TCK is doing Season 87 and was going to do Motown. We should help him with a theme. I thinkin' the Best of Bobby Sherman?

decaturcomp
10-03-2013, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxGTU9wmlbQ
I love this song.

frisbee fred
10-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I love this song.

Beautiful song, Alan. I had not heard that one before. You play and sing it really well.

decaturcomp
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Songs from the Buddah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddah_Records) label

I just saw where TCK is doing Season 87 and was going to do Motown. We should help him with a theme. I thinkin' the Best of Bobby Sherman?

decaturcomp
10-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks Fred. I just wanted to get it down. It's not for any other reason but that I dig the writing. It's by Robert Smith (Cure).

Beautiful song, Alan. I had not heard that one before. You play and sing it really well.

TCK
10-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Haha- Ummm, I am not certain what to do with such a breadth of musical greatness...but rest easy and enjoy the happy hour, a new theme has been selected.

TCK
10-03-2013, 03:48 PM
This is a GREAT song Davey, and the original...well I ain't never heard it. I think I will leave it that way. This is gold mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIXw-nUbqU

TCK
10-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Alan- If I could include yours here I would...but the powers that run our forum will not let me.
If I have told this story before, try and stop me...
When I was a kid, I was kind of portly (crap- I still am, but I could care less now). I was the overweight GATE kid with "HUSKY" written across the rear end of his rockin' corduroy pants, and not exactly a hit with the ladies.
In 7th Grade, I fell for the cutest girl I had ever seen. She was abnormally tall (and I abnormally short), quiet, alarmingly skinny, gap in her front teeth you could floss with a beach towel, and to me, she was a goddess. She was also very strange...see, she had older siblings and they had turned her on to a band called the "Cure" that none of us had ever heard of, and they were pretty much all she ever talked about.
I decided that was my "in"- go seek out this "Cure"...might just be the cure for geek I was looking for, so I started listening to college radio (thank god). I saved every penny I could for what seemed like an eternity to go buy some vinyl, and it was hard earned. I got a penny for every two snails I eradicated in my dad's garden so I was the bringer of death for Helix aspera daily, for months, rain or shine, until I had the $9.99.
Off to Tower Records we went in August of 1985, and I picked up "Head On The Door". My little sister was in tow, telling me I could never listen to her records again (what, Debbie Gibson?) if I bought it, but I did not care. This purchase was for love dammit, and it was going to happen.
Being the first kid in 7th grade with the record made me no more cool (however, the Red Hot Chili Peppers record did increase my standing..and the Dead Kennedys, well...), but I found solace in it, as I played it over and over again lamenting the fact that I was not even going to get to dance with this girl at the dance (testosterone is a hell of a mind trip when it first kicks in). I wish I could report that the girl was instantly smitten, but no, she simply asked for a tape...though she did agree to be my friend and at least talk to me, a social sacrifice in itself.
By the end of the year, I was on to bigger and better things, like driving the adults in my life insane (thank you college radio-punk rock was my redeemer). I had a new found status among everyone at my school because not giving a toss about anything really seems to reel them in (like a car crash)... Somewhere out there there is an old tape of "Bay Area Backroads" where yours truly, complete with Robert Smith hair and make-up is talking about a Goya he painted on the wall of his school at the end of that 7th grade year.
Oh yes- and I love this record. I love it like I love breathing. thank you Alan for the trip down memory lane...and right back attcha.
TCK rule employed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7r07UULAv8&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaddy
10-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Alan- If I could include yours here I would...but the powers that run our forum will not let me.
When I was a kid, I was kind of portly (crap- I still am, but I could care less now). I was the overweight GATE kid with "HUSKY" written across the rear end of his rockin' corduroy pants, and not exactly a hit with the ladies.
In 7th Grade, I fell for the cutest girl I had ever seen. She was abnormally tall (and I abnormally short), quiet, alarmingly skinny, gap in her front teeth you could floss with a beach towel, and to me, she was a goddess. She was also very strange...see, she had older siblings and they had turned her on to a band called the "Cure" that none of us had ever heard of, and they were pretty much all she ever talked about.
I decided that was my "in"- go seek out this "Cure"...might just be the cure for geek I was looking for, so I started listening to college radio (thank god). I saved every penny I could for what seemed like an eternity to go buy some vinyl, and it was hard earned. I got a penny for every two snails I eradicated in my dad's garden so I was the bringer of death for Helix aspera daily, for months, rain or shine, until I had the $9.99.
Off to Tower Records we went in August of 1985, and I picked up "Head On The Door". My little sister was in tow, telling me I could never listen to her records again (what, Debbie Gibson?) if I bought it, but I did not care. This purchase was for love dammit, and it was going to happen.
Being the first kid in 7th grade with the record made me no more cool (however, the Red Hot Chili Peppers record did increase my standing..and the Dead Kennedys, well...), but I found solace in it, as I played it over and over again lamenting the fact that I was not even going to get to dance with this girl at the dance (testosterone is a hell of a mind trip when it first kicks in). I wish I could report that the girl was instantly smitten, but no, she simply asked for a tape...though she did agree to be my friend and at least talk to me, a social sacrifice in itself.
By the end of the year, I was on to bigger and better things, like driving the adults in my life insane (thank you college radio-punk rock was my redeemer). I had a new found status among everyone at my school because not giving a toss about anything really seems to reel them in (like a car crash)... Somewhere out there there is an old tape of "Bay Area Backroads" where yours truly, complete with Robert Smith hair and make-up is talking about a Goya he painted on the wall of his school at the end of that 7th grade year.
Oh yes- and I love this record. I love it like I love breathing. thank you Alan for the trip down memory lane...and right back attcha.
TCK rule employed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7r07UULAv8&feature=youtu.be

I'm not a huge Cure fan but that's my favorite of theirs. Excellent cover Dave. Loved the story. Even loved Bay Area Back Roads. I'll have to track down that episode.

TCK
10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
It is ridiculous, but man was I cute ;) I was also on Home Turf...I figure the only Skinhead (a bit later) they ever interviewed (but being a traditional- I was boring...NEXT).
I'm not a huge Cure fan but that's my favorite of theirs. Excellent cover Dave. Loved the story. Even loved Bay Area Back Roads. I'll have to track down that episode.

we tigers
10-04-2013, 04:04 AM
I'm a bit disappointed that we're not able to get a song done this week. Too much work and other things...
I did however record a Motown song back in March. I just listened to it again and was still quite pleased with the recording. I don't want to pollute the Season85 thread with something old, but I reckon there's a little spot on this island for a tune like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbOCCcQXiLo&feature=share&list=UUB3-3J6EjfJg9hKPxCIPtTQ

mattydee
10-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Here's my late entry to Season 84.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thkO2CLeDu0

UkeyDave
10-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Didn't know this one before somehow but it's just my kind of song.
Thanks for bringing it and if not killing it certainly breathing great life into my day.
Love yer singin' here, brother.

This is a GREAT song Davey, and the original...well I ain't never heard it. I think I will leave it that way. This is gold mate.

No Dave you must NOT leave it that way. Here is a video of them singing it live and someone you know singing and clapping along. ;-)

https://vimeo.com/53918225

wee_ginga_yin
10-04-2013, 12:14 PM
We had LWIII but not a Tom Waits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbNg5_Jtd8k) week, but I teleported into the future and this will be the song I sing when there is a TW week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4z0zxnhh5c

Shady Wilbury
10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
YES! This is priceless, Dave. :) Thanks for sharing.

UkeyDave
10-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Here's one that is definitely a seasons misfit. ;-)
Playalong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTCnEzlH1Rw

we tigers
10-05-2013, 10:09 AM
So no tigers entry this week, but I did manage to make a quick recording with my ipad during rehearsal with my ukulele band (BUG - Brabants Ukulele Genootschap) today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UT1ruk0uw&feature=share&list=UUB3-3J6EjfJg9hKPxCIPtTQ

GinnyT11
10-05-2013, 10:18 AM
UkeyDave, I see that you have your Louisiana hot sauce from Dave-Wave's week on view there. I keep mine in the frame when I record too.

UkeyDave
10-05-2013, 10:18 AM
So no tigers entry this week, but I did manage to make a quick recording with my ipad during rehearsal with my ukulele band (BUG - Brabants Ukulele Genootschap) today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UT1ruk0uw&feature=share&list=UUB3-3J6EjfJg9hKPxCIPtTQ

Here I am just sat here noodling Fly Me to the Moon on my Uke and this pops up on You Tube. How wierd. Great job. Loved this made even more special by the fact I was sat here playing it in the same key.

UkeyDave
10-05-2013, 10:20 AM
UkeyDave, I see that you have your Louisiana hot sauce from Dave-Wave's week on view there. I keep mine in the frame when I record too.
Yes indeed Ginny. Well spotted. I will have to inspect your videos again now to spot yours. ;-)

ukuleledaddy
10-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Hello Misfits. I had so much fun playing with Ralf yesterday. I can't believe we don't do that more often. We teamed up way back in Season 10. Thought I'd share it here in case anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbVl5okWUM&list=PLDD5B6434C0B26F39&index=9

GinnyT11
10-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Ralf and Sean, you absolute MUST record together again! I think it's great to See various Seasonistas playing together, like Berni with Alan and Bill, or with FFred.
I'm going to get to play with with a couple Seasonista buddies next summer.

decaturcomp
10-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Damn straight, Son. Flippin' eck wot a spliffing performance of a great tune from a world changing record.

Respek.

TCK rule employed.

decaturcomp
10-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Most beautiful. I am in awe of your skill and tone and feeling here. Much respect.

I'm a bit disappointed that we're not able to get a song done this week. Too much work and other things...
I did however record a Motown song back in March. I just listened to it again and was still quite pleased with the recording. I don't want to pollute the Season85 thread with something old, but I reckon there's a little spot on this island for a tune like this.

decaturcomp
10-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Love the ending, Starring the shaker egg!!
Beautifully done and I sang along with gusto.

A story if you don't mind. Short one. Woven Pines was playing a show for a group of developmentally challenged adults last Thursday. They were a wonderful group. Sang, danced, smiled, applauded. One woman signed for her deaf friend who danced to his favorite song, "I'll Fly Away" I think it was.

When we finished, one of the group leaders said they wanted to sing "Amazing Grace" because that is the way they end each meeting. I hit an F and they sang along. The other guys played too and we all sang together. It was a great night.

Here's one that is definitely a seasons misfit. ;-)
Playalong.

decaturcomp
10-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Spectacular as always Matty. I love this. You'are a supastah!

ukuleledaddy
10-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Ralf and Sean, you absolute MUST record together again! I think it's great to See various Seasonistas playing together, like Berni with Alan and Bill, or with FFred.

It's SO MUCH FUN! I don't know if you saw a recent post I made in Season 85 Ginny, but I floated the idea of having a week called "Team Up" where seasonistas would get together with other seasonistas and post videos for the week. Seasonistas in England could gather, those here on the West Coast of the USA, those in Australia, etc. If any seasonistas couldn't get together they could via the internet and enter a collaborative effort. Would that not be fun? Of course it would! That week would have to be announced well in advance so people could make travel plans if they want. I think I'll sprinkle this idea around the seasons threads and see if people are game. I know there's a few seasonistas here on the west coast who would love to get together!

TCK
10-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Well, I have not really been all to thrilled with anything I have done lately (except Bottom Dollar- that was OK) so I conjured up old William Elliot Whitmore and played a song tonight. Sometimes you gotta get away from the season and play what you need to get out. If I was to do it all over, I think I would post this on Season 84, as I figure it is what I do.
I dare say it turned out a lot better than the train wrecks I threw at season 85. Just had no Motown in me this week (it will likely return next week...sigh). Where was I? Oh yeah- this I am thrilled with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJPqNZqgXs&feature=youtu.be

wee_ginga_yin
10-06-2013, 12:52 AM
This is my second entry for the Tom Waits season of the future. I must say I was influence by the documentary on Tom Waits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6pql7wJw2k) which explained how he went from lush and lyrical to junkyard minimalism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Ee28LyGSU

decaturcomp
10-06-2013, 04:35 AM
This sounds great! I'll certainly look forward to their first US tour supporting We Tigers!

decaturcomp
10-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Speaking from experience, I'd like to say that I'd love playing with any Seasonista who approaches the ATL area. Steve Reed and Michael McDonald are my homies as well as Skidoo of course. Getting to this section of the globe could pretty much find one of us available for a jam, I'll bet.

Let me add that ATL is the largest airport in the US so you can pretty much get here almost by mistake if you're travelling on this continent. I'd be willing to meet someone with a layover here with a couple of ukes if they want to record in a noisy airport terminal.

Additionally, anyone with video editing skills who would like to ping me with a song title and key could have a base track video from me via internets to do with as they see fit.

How's that for a start?

It's SO MUCH FUN! I don't know if you saw a recent post I made in Season 85 Ginny, but I floated the idea of having a week called "Team Up" where seasonistas would get together with other seasonistas and post videos for the week. Seasonistas in England could gather, those here on the West Coast of the USA, those in Australia, etc. If any seasonistas couldn't get together they could via the internet and enter a collaborative effort. Would that not be fun? Of course it would! That week would have to be announced well in advance so people could make travel plans if they want. I think I'll sprinkle this idea around the seasons threads and see if people are game. I know there's a few seasonistas here on the west coast who would love to get together!

decaturcomp
10-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Well done, Son. I agree that there are times that songs want to cooperate and songs that they don't and times when they cry like a wounded catbird to be set free. I don't know this songwriter but will need to investigate.
You're tone here is really real and present. So, thanks.

...and, for what it's worth, I've been feeling what you've recorded lately.

Appropos of very little, I managed to record a Stax tune without even thinking about it after you'd said you had Stax o' plenty but little Motown to burn. Vulcan mind meld....or something closely akin, I s'pose.

Well, I have not really been all to thrilled with anything I have done lately (except Bottom Dollar- that was OK) so I conjured up old William Elliot Whitmore and played a song tonight. Sometimes you gotta get away from the season and play what you need to get out. If I was to do it all over, I think I would post this on Season 84, as I figure it is what I do.
I dare say it turned out a lot better than the train wrecks I threw at season 85. Just had no Motown in me this week (it will likely return next week...sigh). Where was I? Oh yeah- this I am thrilled with.

decaturcomp
10-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Hey, Ginny. I'd love to be one of those folks who records with you (two?) sometime. I'm sure it could happen although the meetup gods haven't been helping us to align so far.

myrnaukelele
10-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Sean - that would be tons of fun! Our daughter lives in Portland and we're coming to visit the first weekend in January. Any fun uke stuff you know will be happening that weekend? myrna

ukuleledaddy
10-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Sean - that would be tons of fun! Our daughter lives in Portland and we're coming to visit the first weekend in January. Any fun uke stuff you know will be happening that weekend? myrna

Really!? Myrna, we should get together and do a song. We can see if Ralf is available. That would be amazing!

GinnyT11
10-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Myrna, a Portland get-together might attract a couple other Seasonistas too, like Hochapeafarm in Washington.

frisbee fred
10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
{sigh} Are there any Seasonistas near Vermont?

myrnaukelele
10-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Just got back from seeing Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks at the coffeehouse (my town is so small there's only one coffeehouse lol!). Great music- I've always loved Dan Hicks and have all his albums (all of which he signed the last time I saw him live in the 1990s). Thought I'd post this vid again - it was my first entry into the 2nd Season of the Ukulele. It didn't count- after I posted it I realized one of the rules was it had to have a negative in the title (don't/won't/never etc). So I had to post another song. There were NO bonus songs back then. It wasn't until about week 17 when wee_ginga_yin posted a bonus song with footage of his grandkids that we first started seeing bonus vids. By week 19 they were being encouraged and you know the rest of the story. Anyway - the band actually did this song tonight. It was a fun show.

http://youtu.be/S8W7ovg7tvc

ukuleledaddy
10-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Nobody did this for Motown week, my favorite Motown song. I did this back in Season 31. Thought I'd drop it here for any Misfits who might want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjZrborvgA

decaturcomp
10-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Terrific!!
I love them, too. Saw Dan at the Keystone once with a prerecorded backing 'group'. He was opening for Cheech and Chong. He's much better with the various groups and "lickettes". We've worked up "Presently in the Past" with my little bride Terri on vocals for Woven Pines. I love that one.

Saw him with the group recently and I liked the pre-break announcement, "Well, me and the band are gonna step out back and smoke a marijuana cigarette and we'll see you in about 15 minutes."

Just got back from seeing Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks at the coffeehouse (my town is so small there's only one coffeehouse lol!). Great music- I've always loved Dan Hicks and have all his albums (all of which he signed the last time I saw him live in the 1990s). Thought I'd post this vid again - it was my first entry into the 2nd Season of the Ukulele. It didn't count- after I posted it I realized one of the rules was it had to have a negative in the title (don't/won't/never etc). So I had to post another song. There were NO bonus songs back then. It wasn't until about week 17 when wee_ginga_yin posted a bonus song with footage of his grandkids that we first started seeing bonus vids. By week 19 they were being encouraged and you know the rest of the story. Anyway - the band actually did this song tonight. It was a fun show.

decaturcomp
10-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I love them both but this would be my first choice for TWSOTF
Have you read Barney Hoskins' recent biography "Low Side of the Road"? I liked it pretty well. I've seen around the net a magazine from Option (I wrote for their predecessor, OP in the 80s) wherein Elvis Costello and Waits interview each other. At the time it appeared, it was like a dream come true for me....but I digress.

This is my second entry for the Tom Waits season of the future. I must say I was influence by the documentary on Tom Waits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6pql7wJw2k) which explained how he went from lush and lyrical to junkyard minimalism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Ee28LyGSU

myrnaukelele
10-07-2013, 03:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thkO2CLeDu0

Mattydee - this is great! You should simply rerecord this to say Season 86 and put it in Tina's opera category. This song was written for the opera Porgy and Bess.

redpaul1
10-10-2013, 07:25 PM
I wanted to do something for austin1's Season 86, but time & germs were against me. So I did this instead. Hope you'll indulge my self-indulgence:

http://youtu.be/Pd87sxTF5go.

we tigers
10-11-2013, 04:40 AM
I had a good time going on this walk with you Paul. Thanks for the sightseeing!

myrnaukelele
10-12-2013, 04:09 PM
It's Songs about Alcohol week over on the Season 87 thread. No old songs allowed. So here's one that I did for DK Toller's home brew contest. I won some bottles of excellent homebrew and shared them with friends at UWC. It's a Todd Snyder song.

http://youtu.be/71qYUlVA4l4

TCK
10-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Haha- AWESOME Myrna! Time for a beer run ;) I have no idea how you kept all that straight- impressed

It's Songs about Alcohol week over on the Season 87 thread. No old songs allowed. So here's one that I did for DK Toller's home brew contest. I won some bottles of excellent homebrew and shared them with friends at UWC. It's a Todd Snyder song.

I did this because I can't enter my own week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8snxFVe8paQ&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaddy
10-12-2013, 09:59 PM

http://youtu.be/71qYUlVA4l4
Fantastic Myrna! I love Todd Snider. That's one I was thinking about for sure. I did a Todd Snider song for a season 29Moons did a while back. Thanks for posting this!

UkeyDave
10-13-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm guessing Decaturcomp (aka Alan) didn't pay due attention to this video. Tut tut. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4remfdaTgo

ukuleledaddy
10-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Haha- AWESOME Myrna! Time for a beer run ;) I have no idea how you kept all that straight- impressed

I did this because I can't enter my own week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8snxFVe8paQ&feature=youtu.be

Stupendous birthday boy. I love this song and so glad it got the TCK treatment.

TCK
10-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha- I see what you did there Davey- HILARIOUS
I'm guessing Decaturcomp (aka Alan) didn't pay due attention to this video. Tut tut. ;-)

decaturcomp
10-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Oh, yes he did!!
In fact, Dave's house is like mine and has NO side door so I had to climb in through the bathroom window.
Great ending, too!!

decaturcomp
10-14-2013, 02:45 AM
A serious drinking song from Kurt's Tom Paxton week. This was written by one of his collaborators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3InaWWcTk

decaturcomp
10-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Another song from more than a year ago. For some reason this has more views than most of my other videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGwl2w5GWEw
It's riddled with mistakes but I like it.
It was written by Dick Feller who wrote a few songs that Jerry Reed recorded like "Lord Mr. Ford" and some of the comic songs like "Eastbound and Down" from "Smokey and the Bandit". He also wrote one of my favorite songs called "Texas Katy" which I recommend to you.

Terri interviewed him once when she was in college and he was on tour. He said he wanted to get back home in a hurry because he had just bought a new garden tractor.

UkeyDave
10-14-2013, 08:10 AM
I can GUARANTEE that this is a misfit.
Gaga.;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF7MrvzH7CI

pabrizzer
10-14-2013, 08:21 AM
An old roughie involving alcohol - Tom Paxton's My Pony Knows the Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln-1NYbb4yg

TCK
10-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Coming over to have a cocktail on this side...nice stuff you boys are laying down

ukuleledaddy
10-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Since we're putting up older vids, here's Tequila (a spirit I can no longer touch with a ten foot pole) and a little peak behind the curtain at one of the biggest shows I did with Fruitloops. Party! I'm the one in the Flash underpants and pink wig.
Go to 3:50 for the song if you'd like to skip all the random pre-song stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZzqkgsSkB0

Joko
10-16-2013, 07:01 AM
One of your Seasonista friends is going to be on national television playing ukulele!!

Okay, so it won't be until Nov 2nd, but it's been filmed, and the nationwide is going to be the nation of Thailand.

A friend of mine who writes the script for the Thai PBS program 'English Breakfast', an educational program which mixes Thai and English, wrote a script where every Thai school had to have a Native English Speaker as a member of its faculty. 'Bro' and 'Dude' head out to Kao San Road, Bangkok's tourist street, to find a farang (foreigner) teacher. They have no luck. Fortunately, Bro's dad (me), shows up, ukulele in hand, and is drafted into being an English teacher.

Foreigner in Thailand teaching English by a weird set of circumstances, oh yeah, a really hard acting job for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNLcKgGdYg

decaturcomp
10-16-2013, 07:35 AM
That's terrific, Joko. Maybe there's a slot for a late night english speaking talk show uker, a' la Arturo Godfrey!

One of your Seasonista friends is going to be on national television playing ukulele!!

Okay, so it won't be until Nov 2nd, but it's been filmed, and the nationwide is going to be the nation of Thailand.

A friend of mine who writes the script for the Thai PBS program 'English Breakfast', an educational program which mixes Thai and English, wrote a script where every Thai school had to have a Native English Speaker as a member of its faculty. 'Bro' and 'Dude' head out to Kao San Road, Bangkok's tourist street, to find a farang (foreigner) teacher. They have no luck. Fortunately, Bro's dad (me), shows up, ukulele in hand, and is drafted into being an English teacher.

Foreigner in Thailand teaching English by a weird set of circumstances, oh yeah, a really hard acting job for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNLcKgGdYg

decaturcomp
10-16-2013, 10:10 AM
I sang one of Mike Cross' humorous songs for the current season and was compelled to find the lyrics to another one of his I've always liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWcDCW3cDeQ

decaturcomp
10-17-2013, 02:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCkYln9sgxY
Woven Pines from a little while ago.
Respect to the Happy Hour Season.

pabrizzer
10-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Dave doesn't want recycled stuff so I'll put it here.
Goin' Up The Country complete with washer woman head ware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2S4m2sv2qM

FiL
10-21-2013, 03:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCkYln9sgxY

Alan, this was one of several songs I wanted to do for Happy Hour Season, but didn't have time to do. Although I love the Avetts it was the Woven Pines version that made me seek out the chords top try to learn it. Lovely to hear it again!

- FiL

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Alan, this was one of several songs I wanted to do for Happy Hour Season, but didn't have time to do. Although I love the Avetts it was the Woven Pines version that made me seek out the chords top try to learn it. Lovely to hear it again!

- FiL

Poor FiL hasn't gotten to do a single song of his own since he teamed up with me. :-(

FiL
10-21-2013, 04:15 AM
I think this is my first Misfit video.

As some of you know, my Dad passed away at the end of August.

As I was working on his eulogy, this song popped out. At the end of the day after the funeral, the repast, and the cleanup, my family was all gathered at my mom's house sitting around sharing memories about my dad and I played them this song. They all got a kick out of it--it was good medicine on an otherwise very heavy day.

A few weeks ago I played it during a workshop at a little folk festival, and I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear strangers laugh in all the same spots my family did (and to hear people playing and singing along). Fortunately, someone captured the audio and sent it to me. I added some family pictures to turn it into a video.

The song is called "That's the Kinda Thing (They Do in Heaven)". Feel free to sing along.

http://youtu.be/HmmsEcaw5gk

- FiL

librainian
10-21-2013, 06:03 AM

As I was working on his eulogy, this song popped out. At the end of the day after the funeral, the repast, and the cleanup, my family was all gathered at my mom's house sitting around sharing memories about my dad and I played them this song. They all got a kick out of it--it was good medicine on an otherwise very heavy day.

A few weeks ago I played it during a workshop at a little folk festival, and I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear strangers laugh in all the same spots my family did (and to hear people playing and singing along). Fortunately, someone captured the audio and sent it to me. I added some family pictures to turn it into a video.

The song is called "That's the Kinda Thing (They Do in Heaven)". Feel free to sing along.

- FiL

This is great FiL. I love it. Super fun lyrics and a great story to boot! Thanks for sharing it.

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Poor FiL hasn't gotten to do a single song of his own since he teamed up with me. :-(

And now he has (yay!). I already loved the song, so glad you are putting it out there. The video just makes it come alive. The specifics might belong to you and your family, but we all have a dad song in us, written or waiting to be. This makes me feel like I know your family, while bringing me closer to mine all at the same time.

- Wendy

- FiL

decaturcomp
10-21-2013, 12:27 PM
FiL, I just LOVE this. Good for you for bringing up the stuff your Dad loved about living here when he was with us.
I'd love to see the lyrics if you don't mind. I feel like I missed some of the good stuff because of all the folks laughing along (although that's a good thing).
I'll bet he would have loved this, too.

Welcome from your fellow Misfits!

- FiL

decaturcomp
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
In case someone thinks this forum needs a theme song...
This is one by the Misfits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsU6DOO3LOw

FiL
10-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. Alan, here are the lyrics. I've added them to the video description on YouTube, too.

"That's the Kinda Thing (They Do in Heaven)"

Hey there son, it's your old man
I'm up here in Heaven, gettin' a tan
You wouldn't believe what things are like, around here
I'll give you the scoop, I'll give you the story
Jackie Gleason is here in all his glory
And everyone drinks Schaeffer and Ballentine beer

I don't have to mow, I don't have to weed
The cars that drive by my house don't speed
I got a phone with a dial and a pope for a neighbor
I know how to work my own TV
Bags of pretzels open easily
And obituaries are on page one of every paper

Chorus 1:
‘Cos that's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's what they do behind that pearly gate
They play Polish polkas 24-7
Rock'n'roll amps go to 2 not 11
When your time comes son, don't be late

The Yankees are on every night of the year
No one beats them, no one even comes near
Except for the Angles, up here that's just how it is
They got Babe and Coombs, Gehrig, DiMaggio
Mantle, Maris, Munson, Rizzuto
But they keep ol' George, pretty well hid

(Repeat Chorus 1)

My garden is bountiful, I don't have to fear
About crows or squirrels or rabbits or deer
We have fresh corn on the cob every Christmas
They got bottomless bowls of every kinda pasta
Eight different types of Polish kielbasa
You can eat all you want and no one ever has gas

(Repeat Chorus 1)

Well I hope you've enjoyed this view from above
Now I'll take to my wings like a Heavenly dove
I got a pinochle date with God and his only son
So keep your nose to the grindstone and be good to your friends
‘Cos the thing about Eternity is, it never ends
And if you’re gonna do something forever, it better be fun

Chorus 2:
‘Cos that's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's what they do behind that pearly gate
They play Polish polkas 24-7
Rock'n'roll amps, well for you they’ll hit 11
When your time comes son I know you won't be late

- FiL

decaturcomp
10-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks FiL, That is completely great. Even better with all the words!!
If you don't mind, I think I'll try to sing it for my Dad on his 86th Birthday this week.
Would that be okay?

decaturcomp
10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-05n2fcI8lU
Sorta like "Forget What You Know" but not really....

TCK
10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Whew...I am bushed. You guys mind if put my feet up over here for a minute and watch a few?
FiL- What signature model was that old Rawlings glove your dad had in the pictures- pretty sure I have the same one mate. What a tribute to him you made there.

redpaul1
10-22-2013, 03:34 AM
I had a good time going on this walk with you Paul. Thanks for the sightseeing!

If you ever find yourself in London, you must come on my famous rock & roll walking tour.

FiL
10-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Thanks FiL, That is completely great. Even better with all the words!!
If you don't mind, I think I'll try to sing it for my Dad on his 86th Birthday this week.
Would that be okay?

More than OK, that would be awesome! I'll send you the chords, though they're pretty easy to figure out.

- FiL

FiL
10-22-2013, 04:00 AM
Whew...I am bushed. You guys mind if put my feet up over here for a minute and watch a few?
FiL- What signature model was that old Rawlings glove your dad had in the pictures- pretty sure I have the same one mate. What a tribute to him you made there.

You know, it's been a long time since I've seen that glove. The next time I'm home, I need to see if it's still around. It's the one thing of my dad's I'd love to have.

TCK
10-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Got that from the picture mate- anyone would like to have that. All the pics were great, but that one really got me. To your da'
You know, it's been a long time since I've seen that glove. The next time I'm home, I need to see if it's still around. It's the one thing of my dad's I'd love to have.

myrnaukelele
10-26-2013, 08:18 PM
This is a fun one someone might want to learn for the 89th Season. It was recorded for Season 34 last Halloween.

http://youtu.be/5yNV3jDN69k

mythinformed
10-27-2013, 12:14 AM
This is a fun one someone might want to learn for the 89th Season. It was recorded for Season 34 last Halloween.

http://youtu.be/5yNV3jDN69k
It always amazes me the props some seasonistas have just 'layin' around' at their disposal !! Lol

Shady Wilbury
10-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Hey, guys.

Firstly I have to apologise to Alan, because this isn't ukulele. It is however quite special to me, and I've had to relegate it to the Guitar Videos forum, where probably very few go.

In honour of a good friend, too soon gone.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?88413-Limelight-Blues&p=1416081#post1416081

Take care,

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Peace, Lou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nee4_DXg6UY

we tigers
10-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Alan. Although he is no more, we'll have his songs.

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Alan. Although he is no more, we'll have his songs.
"I am sad this morning. Do not reproach me.
I write from a caf near the post office,
Amid the click of billiard balls, the clatter of dishes,
The pounding of my heart. I have been asked to write
A History of Caricature. I have been asked to write
A History of Sculpture. Shall I write a history
Of the caricatures of the sculptures of you in my heart? "
-Delmore Schwartz from "Baudelaire"

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIb8u7e6lVg

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtdvbx51ng8

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt-ELHvmFQY

xommen
10-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Although it does not belong here as it is a real entry to a season, I thought I would also put a link here to Pale Blue Eyes by Lou.
http://youtu.be/4JKP12_fqM8

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Good thinking, thanks.

Although it does not belong here as it is a real entry to a season, I thought I would also put a link here to Pale Blue Eyes by Lou.
http://youtu.be/4JKP12_fqM8

peewee
10-27-2013, 09:35 PM
And here's Andy's Chest
http://youtu.be/sgpDogjWNaI
also a season 89 entry,
here's Who Loves the Sun from way back in Season 9 (sunshine and smiles)!
http://youtu.be/mftgnEDnA4E
and Candy Says from Season 71 (names):
http://youtu.be/1FT6OvCRz-Y
wish I could spend a week just playing Lou Reed tunes..

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 12:39 AM
If there's a rock 'n' roll heaven, you know they're hella confused right now.
-Patton Oswald

wee_ginga_yin
10-28-2013, 02:10 AM
A Begbie train-spotting version... with a mistake and a smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxCqMdxt3OE

The lyrics of this song are a bit controversial and they refer to a series of individuals and their
journeys to New York City, They are the regular "superstars" at Andy Warhol's New York studio,
The Factory, namely Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, Joe Dallesandro, Jackie Curtis and
Joe Campbell (referred to in the song by his nickname Sugar Plum Fairy).

Holly Woodlawn (born October 26, 1946) is a Puerto Rican-born transgendered actress and
former Warhol superstar, who appeared in his movies Trash (1970) and Women in Revolt (1972).

Candy Darling died of leukemia on March 21, 1974, aged 29, at the Columbus Hospital division
of the Cabrini Health Center. In a letter written on her deathbed and intended for Andy Warhol
and his followers, Darling said, "Unfortunately before my death I had no desire left for life . . .
I am just so bored by everything. You might say bored to death.

Joe Dallesandro starred in Flesh as a teenage street hustler. Rolling Stone magazine in 1970
declared Trash the "Best Film of the Year", making him a star of the youth culture, sexual
revolution and subcultural New York art collective of the 1970s. He currently manages a hotel
in the heart of Hollywood, where he lives with his wife and cat Booky.

Jackie Curtis was born in New York City to John Holder, Sr. and Jenevive Uglialoro. He performed
as both a man and a woman throughout his career. While performing in drag, Curtis would typically
wear lipstick, glitter, bright red hair, and ripped and torn dresses and stockings. Curtis pioneered this
unique style, a combination of trash and glamour which has prompted assertions that Curtis inspired
the "Glitter rock" or "Glam Rock" movement of the 1970s.

FiL
10-28-2013, 04:15 AM
My one Velvets cover, "Sunday Morning" for Season 49:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP2c34MzeNY

- FiL

TCK
10-28-2013, 04:30 AM
I leave for one day and this place...
Well, one fine morning I put on the misfit station and couldn't believe what I heard at all-
You know my life was saved by Rock and Roll.

peewee
10-28-2013, 05:10 AM
I forgot one:

http://youtu.be/VE2MxOK-Z7Q

http://youtu.be/VE2MxOK-Z7Q

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Thanks FiL, Rob and Pee (mind if I call you Pee for short?---I'm making things worse, aren't I?)

Thanks for these wonderful posts. I started to mention this one Pee old boy, not just because it was splendid but because I'd tried and failed with it before you posted and never found myself able to come close to this splendor.

FiL another one I love and I remember with happiness when you posted it originally.

Rob, what can I say? I don't know if I've ever used pabrizzerized in my thoughts but I've certainly considered how I might possibly go about weegingayinning a song or two. Luckily for me I have both of you around to listen to and enjoy without the least effort on my part.

I loved those movies like Trash and Heat, btw. Where are they now? The movies that is.

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Not meant to take away from FiL's superior version which I prefer but I just remembered that I had this one in my list, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sjcX1fMtRk
Since we're all just speaking at the wake.

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 05:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUlB5ppfOfM

Thanks for the reminder Rob, I keep forgetting about Lou songs that have shown up for various seasons.

peewee
10-28-2013, 06:05 AM
I leave for one day and this place...
Well, one fine morning I put on the misfit station and couldn't believe what I heard at all-
You know my life was saved by Rock and Roll.

How did that song not make it into Music about Music week? Shame on us!

peewee
10-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Here's a Trainspotting bit for Rob / WGY and all the other late bloomers around here:

http://youtu.be/VnAR2qB24yQ

ukuleledaddy
10-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Wow! Look what all you fine folks did yesterday! Wish I could have joined you (was tending to little ones with fevers). Enjoying each and every one of your fine vids this morning. Will miss Lou. Think I'll watch Blue In The Face tonight.

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Jump in any time UD. Thanks for coming to visit.

We know that most folks prefer to be told what to do. How else does someone explain the rabid adherence to the strictest religions. But those same folks may need a place without structure from time to time. I know I do. And yet, the structure is what brought me here to the Seasons and what keeps me coming back. Think of this as your coffee break space or your place to blow off steam.

But I digress...it is my superpower.

Wow! Look what all you fine folks did yesterday! Wish I could have joined you (was tending to little ones with fevers). Enjoying each and every one of your fine vids this morning. Will miss Lou. Think I'll watch Blue In The Face tonight.

ukuleledaddy
10-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Jump in any time UD. Thanks for coming to visit.

We know that most folks prefer to be told what to do. How else does someone explain the rabid adherence to the strictest religions. But those same folks may need a place without structure from time to time. I know I do. And yet, the structure is what brought me here to the Seasons and what keeps me coming back. Think of this as your coffee break space or your place to blow off steam.

But I digress...it is my superpower.

Thanks Alan. I've been enjoying this lovely island for some time now. It's a lovely place. I even mentioned this place in a vid I did for 88.

I'm a big fan of super powers. My alter ego is Procrastination Man. Someday I'll get around to making my costume.

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 08:50 AM
THIS is most brilliantly done, sir.
You often hear that certain cover versions bring nothing new to the table.
Your interpretation is a new view of something worth the viewing.
Thanks

A Begbie train-spotting version... with a mistake and a smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxCqMdxt3OE

The lyrics of this song are a bit controversial and they refer to a series of individuals and their
journeys to New York City, They are the regular "superstars" at Andy Warhol's New York studio,
The Factory, namely Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, Joe Dallesandro, Jackie Curtis and
Joe Campbell (referred to in the song by his nickname Sugar Plum Fairy).

Holly Woodlawn (born October 26, 1946) is a Puerto Rican-born transgendered actress and
former Warhol superstar, who appeared in his movies Trash (1970) and Women in Revolt (1972).

Candy Darling died of leukemia on March 21, 1974, aged 29, at the Columbus Hospital division
of the Cabrini Health Center. In a letter written on her deathbed and intended for Andy Warhol
and his followers, Darling said, "Unfortunately before my death I had no desire left for life . . .
I am just so bored by everything. You might say bored to death.

Joe Dallesandro starred in Flesh as a teenage street hustler. Rolling Stone magazine in 1970
declared Trash the "Best Film of the Year", making him a star of the youth culture, sexual
revolution and subcultural New York art collective of the 1970s. He currently manages a hotel
in the heart of Hollywood, where he lives with his wife and cat Booky.

Jackie Curtis was born in New York City to John Holder, Sr. and Jenevive Uglialoro. He performed
as both a man and a woman throughout his career. While performing in drag, Curtis would typically
wear lipstick, glitter, bright red hair, and ripped and torn dresses and stockings. Curtis pioneered this
unique style, a combination of trash and glamour which has prompted assertions that Curtis inspired
the "Glitter rock" or "Glam Rock" movement of the 1970s.

redpaul1
10-28-2013, 08:54 AM
I wanted to do this for Laura's Season, but time and time changes got the better of me. So it's washed ashore here, and is seeking asylum

http://youtu.be/wLicl8L94_0

redpaul1
10-28-2013, 09:47 AM
I wanted to get this done for Austin1's Season 86 Third Time A Charm, but time and germs were against me. I finally got a chance to record a version today. Hope you like. Chords included if you want to join in :)

http://youtu.be/ZJSG5h1wKZk

Radio Ga Ga
(Queen)

C Dm7 F Dm7 F C x2

Dm/C C
Rad-i-o

C
I'd sit alone, and watch your light
Dm7
My only friend, through teenage nights
F
And everything, I had to know
Dm7 F C
I heard it on my radi-o.

C
You gave them all, those old time stars
Dm7
Through wars of worlds, invaded by Mars
F
You made 'em laugh, you made 'em cry
Dm7 F C
You made us feel like we could fly
Dm/C C
Rad-i-o.

C
So don't become, some background noise
Cm6/Eb
A backdrop for, the girls and boys
F
Who just don't know, or just don't care
D7/F#
And just complain, when you're not there
Csus4 C Csus4 C
You had your time, you had the power
G7sus4 G7
You've yet to have, your finest hour
F C Dm/C C
Rad-i-o Rad-i-o

C/Bb F C
All we hear is, radio ga ga,
F C F C
Radio goo goo, radio ga ga
Csus4 F C
All we hear is, radio ga ga
F C
Radio blah blah
Bb |F G |
Radio what's new
Am Gsus4 G Gsus2 G C
Radio, some- one still loves you

C
We watch the shows, we watch the stars
Dm7
On videos, for hours and hours
F
We hardly need, to use our ears
Dm7 F C
How music changes through the years

C
Let's hope you never, leave old friend
Cm6/Eb
Like all good things, on you we depend
F
So stick around, cause we might miss you
D7/F#
When we grow tired, of all this visual
Csus4 C Csus4 C
G7sus4 G7
F C Dm C
Rad-i-o Rad-i-o

N.C.
C/Bb F C
All we hear is radio ga ga
F C
Radio blah blah
Bb |F G |
Radio what's new?
Am G Gsus2 G C
Some-one still loves you

C Dm7 F Dm7 F C
C Cm6/D F D7

Csus4 C Csus4 C
G7sus4 G7
F C
Rad-i-o

Bb F G
Radio what's new?
Am Gsus4 G Gsus2 G C
Radio, some- one still loves you

wee_ginga_yin
10-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Pink Anderson song with pitch bending, and an accent with audio and video manipulation to get that old time feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oflZrAs9K0s&lc

UncleMoon
10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks Alan. I've been enjoying this lovely island for some time now. It's a lovely place. I even mentioned this place in a vid I did for 88.

I'm a big fan of super powers. My alter ego is Procrastination Man. Someday I'll get around to making my costume.

I was gonna run for President of the Procrastinator's Union, but I never got the petition signed by anyone.

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Nicely done gents. Lots beginning to happen around the cookfire, here.

Here's something I liked about Lou:
http://gawker.com/a-reason-to-keep-singing-1453294641

TCK
10-28-2013, 05:12 PM
I figured you guys would jump on it like dogs on meat.
Right then- this has always been a special song to me (hmmm- weird), and now you have to listen to me do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfullDeas5g&feature=youtu.be

ksiegel
10-29-2013, 06:23 AM
This is a Misfit. Too late for the Forget What You Know, and in tribute to MGM and Lou Reed.

Try not to turn it off too quickly.

-Kur
http://youtu.be/ASv6abcPRkMt

29moons
10-29-2013, 06:34 AM
It seems that I have joined the Island of Misfits. HURRAY! I'm a misfit.

Thanks to Ginny and Peewee for this weeks inspiration. My humble dedication to Lou Reed, one of my all-time favorites and a heavy influence. The Godfather of punk.

http://youtu.be/gLjfKHZR_-M

peewee
10-29-2013, 08:09 AM

One of us!

That was some great LR style metronomic strumming, and the vocal phrasing is spot on. You have been taking your vitamins!

peewee
10-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Hmmm.. does a "mainline" count as a body part?

Is a Ding-Dong covered by a bathing suit?

hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d69mDT11yI

decaturcomp
10-29-2013, 10:03 AM
AND...Is it a real bodypart if you cccccc couldn't hit it sideways??

hmmm

decaturcomp
10-29-2013, 10:06 AM
There was a VU fanzine called What Goes On that used to have auctions for the real shit records "in GLORIOUS MONO!!" on the back pages. Of course they also had a contest to choose songs for a best of VU compilation at the time and wussed out and decided it had to be a 4 record set.

Oh, and welcome Moons and redpaul. Great stuff!

AND...Is it a real bodypart if you cccccc couldn't hit it sideways??

TCK
10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
God love ya moons- you always were! Gooble Gobble We accept you. Nice to see you around these parts again

TCK
10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
The real question is, does any of that matter?
No quarter spared.

hmmm

TCK
10-29-2013, 05:48 PM
So, I can't get it, and therefore I have a request.
White Light needs to make an appearance on the current season and if I could play it, I would have.
Who of you will take this challenge?
I will offer a prize- my next smile will be in your honor.

KoaDependent
10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
This is not a Lou Reed song, but it comes from the same time and place. Greyghost and his son's take on Heart of Glass reminded me that I had a version of that tune already up on the 'Tube. Fits with the current season but as it's old, I can't even throw it in for a bonus. Guess I'll leave it here for you buzzards to pick over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8V_sy2wq4&t=45

The video is almost unwatchably dark for two reasons:
1. It was really dark in the bar - you'll hear me whinge about that very fact unless you fast-forward to about :45, where the music actually starts. I just wanted to include the MC screwing up our name, which amused me.
2. In the video processing, I tried to make it black and white. Instead it turned it black and only slightly less black.

TCK
10-29-2013, 08:08 PM
In spite of the sales pitch here...This is gold! Blondie cover with mouth trumpet? I am not sure it gets better, in spite of the video being black and slightly less black. Fantastic!
This is not a Lou Reed song, but it comes from the same time and place. Greyghost and his son's take on Heart of Glass reminded me that I had a version of that tune already up on the 'Tube. Fits with the current season but as it's old, I can't even throw it in for a bonus. Guess I'll leave it here for you buzzards to pick over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8V_sy2wq4&t=45

The video is almost unwatchably dark for two reasons:
1. It was really dark in the bar - you'll hear me whinge about that very fact unless you fast-forward to about :45, where the music actually starts. I just wanted to include the MC screwing up our name, which amused me.
2. In the video processing, I tried to make it black and white. Instead it turned it black and only slightly less black.

wee_ginga_yin
10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
I first heard a ukulele version "pale blue eyes" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ApASKb7sEg) when listening to a ukulele/Jews harp
version by Russell Kenny. The music was good but the Ken Burns zoom was even better.

Inspired by the Jaw Harp/Jews Harp that Russell used, on the chorus I used a Vietnamese
Dan Moi instead of a Jews Harp. If you do not know what a Dan Moi is check out Samm Bennett (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8BrxEiLJJ0)
who is a master of the instrument.

I am always getting mine stuck in my moustache... that would never happen with a theremin :-)

http://youtu.be/0bzWzLKhjGM

decaturcomp
10-31-2013, 02:44 PM
To our neighbors:
What a beautiful fall! Everything shimmering and golden and all that incredible soft light. Water surrounding us.
Lou and I have spent a lot of time here in the past few years, and even though we’re city people this is our spiritual home.
Last week I promised Lou to get him out of the hospital and come home to Springs. And we made it!
Lou was a tai chi master and spent his last days here being happy and dazzled by the beauty and power and softness of nature. He died on Sunday morning looking at the trees and doing the famous 21 form of tai chi with just his musician hands moving through the air.
Lou was a prince and a fighter and I know his songs of the pain and beauty in the world will fill many people with the incredible joy he felt for life. Long live the beauty that comes down and through and onto all of us.
— Laurie Anderson
his loving wife and eternal friend

decaturcomp
10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFaTN9V833o

ukuleledaddy
10-31-2013, 07:52 PM

This is wonderful.

TCK
10-31-2013, 07:54 PM
One of my friends was at this...green with envy

Tootler
11-01-2013, 02:24 PM
While I was hunting RnR songs for season 89, I was reminded of this. It's as cheesy as hell and only one reference to hair so doesn't really fit season 89, so I have come here with it.

Still it'll be a bit of a change from all that heavy Lou Reed stuff. I was never really into Velvet Underground, but his death means yet another of my generation who has just F-f-f-f-faded away.

http://youtu.be/N66TT8Y77qI

You folks Stateside never really got into Cliff Richard but he was big over here and this song sold over a million in 1959 and had another lease of life in 1986 when it was re-recorded in collaboration with the cast of the Young Ones, a comedy series over here.

myrnaukelele
11-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Songs from the year you turned 18....
A bit disappointed we only get one theme song this week. There are several I'd love to do. Here's one.

http://youtu.be/oKpXp5NCp2Y

TCK
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Seriously? We only get one? Good thing I never read the rules...
Songs from the year you turned 18....
A bit disappointed we only get one theme song this week. There are several I'd love to do. Here's one.

pabrizzer
11-03-2013, 08:34 PM
1972 Neil Young's Harvest was released - one of the best albums of all time IMHO.
Are You Ready For The Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tepCMGJ-rH8

decaturcomp
11-04-2013, 04:59 AM
I respect the host, regardless of how that may seem when I get carried away, but I did consider just posting here all week and then choosing one to port over when it's done.
Also, I guess there's not a limit on Lou songs over there and there are tons of his I'd love to learn especially from the later records.

Seriously? We only get one? Good thing I never read the rules...

decaturcomp
11-04-2013, 05:04 AM
"House Meeting! House Meeting!!"

Lots of us statesiders went out of our way to hear Cliff and the Shadows and to see "Young Ones" but I do recognize that we're in the minority.
This is a terrific one, Geoff!

While I was hunting RnR songs for season 89, I was reminded of this. It's as cheesy as hell and only one reference to hair so doesn't really fit season 89, so I have come here with it.

Still it'll be a bit of a change from all that heavy Lou Reed stuff. I was never really into Velvet Underground, but his death means yet another of my generation who has just F-f-f-f-faded away.

You folks Stateside never really got into Cliff Richard but he was big over here and this song sold over a million in 1959 and had another lease of life in 1986 when it was re-recorded in collaboration with the cast of the Young Ones, a comedy series over here.

decaturcomp
11-04-2013, 05:23 AM
If there was an annual show I could arrange to cross the country for it would be the Bridge Benefit.

One of my friends was at this...green with envy

redpaul1
11-05-2013, 08:46 AM
I had so much fun doing this yesterday, I did it again. This time with a proper electric uke. My only regret is I only thought of the title as I was uploading to YT. If I'd thought of it earlier, I'd have worked it into the lyric

http://youtu.be/rrvQ5wBBpQ0

wee_ginga_yin
11-05-2013, 09:54 AM

I remember the show Juke Box Jury when they played "My generation" by THE WHO.
David Jacobs was the presenter and on the jury was an old guy with a stutter (forget his name)
who went goggle eyed during the song, since he thought they were taking the piss.
Jacobs could hardly contain his glee, as he waited in anticipation for the unfortunate
panelist to give his verdict only to be slightly disappointed when he made a faultless response.

TCK
11-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I hate one song seasons. I am not afraid to say it, and I figure I have been around here long enough to do so. SO, of the 15 songs I have down for season 90, this is the one I was playing tonight.
It is a punk rock song.
I was shocked to learn that my wife knows all the words.
Of course, it is the cocktail hour here, so she knows the words way better than I do.
In fact, I am half in the bag-but, I can say in all honestly, me and Mel have never had more fun making a video.
I totally screwed it up, several times...but this is the island. Here enthusiasm is king.
Here is enthusiasm...coupled with suck. And a guest appearance from a bad dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGm0VfN4brM&feature=youtu.be
Y'all are some old people...

decaturcomp
11-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Sweet. A little SD to lift the happy hour vibe to a peak. How about some Angry Samoans, next, Steak Knife maybe?
Older may mean we're dyin' sooner but it also means we've seen a buttload of weird shit, sonny. We drink napalm and piss enthusiasm.

I loved this man.

I hate one song seasons. I am not afraid to say it, and I figure I have been around here long enough to do so. SO, of the 15 songs I have down for season 90, this is the one I was playing tonight.
It is a punk rock song.
Of course, it is the cocktail hour here, so she knows the words way better than I do.
In fact, I am half in the bag-but, I can say in all honestly, me and Mel have never had more fun making a video.
I totally screwed it up, several times...but this is the island. Here enthusiasm is king.

TCK
11-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Somehow I knew when I was saying that, I would get catch somethin'...Angry Samoans huh? I figure I can do that. Mel, not so much ;)
Sweet. A little SD to lift the happy hour vibe to a peak. How about some Angry Samoans, next, Steak Knife maybe?
Older may mean we're dyin' sooner but it also means we've seen a buttload of weird shit, sonny. We drink napalm and piss enthusiasm.

I loved this man.

we tigers
11-05-2013, 08:14 PM
It is a punk rock song.
This was great fun, Dave. Fantasies about transatlantic uke jams go through my mind, when I watch your videos.
Same with Alan's by the way.

ukuleledaddy
11-05-2013, 09:08 PM
It is a punk rock song.

I just want to throw one back with you and give you both a great big hug.

rem50
11-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Here is my misfit! I was late on the 88 season because it took me longer to get a song I did not know down. Don't mind the computer, I forgot to close it. I had always wanted to learn this one and it was harder than I thought. Dean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NkAdLEXvQ

greenie44
11-06-2013, 10:52 AM
If you ever find yourself in London, you must come on my famous rock & roll walking tour.

Hey Paul -

I am going to be in London in early December. Let me know if tours are available Thursday or Friday, December 5 or 6, through a PM. Thanks in advance!

- greenie44

decaturcomp
11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Nice job. I just never get around to listening to commercial country and I guess that means I miss a nice one like this once in a while. Thanks Dean!

Here is my misfit! I was late on the 88 season because it took me longer to get a song I did not know down. Don't mind the computer, I forgot to close it. I had always wanted to learn this one and it was harder than I thought. Dean

Tootler
11-06-2013, 11:59 AM
"House Meeting! House Meeting!!"

Lots of us statesiders went out of our way to hear Cliff and the Shadows and to see "Young Ones" but I do recognize that we're in the minority.
This is a terrific one, Geoff!

I'm glad to see he did have some fans over the pond. Though he never broke through big time, I think he did have some minor hits.

I was a big fan back in the day. After the Beatles, he became uncool but he's still performing successfully and producing records and his fan base crosses the generations. The media here call him the Peter Pan of pop.

I've come across US Folkies who say that it was Lonnie Donegan who got them into Folk Music. Interesting.

rem50
11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
thanks D. It is a fun song and was challenging for me at least.
Nice job. I just never get around to listening to commercial country and I guess that means I miss a nice one like this once in a while. Thanks Dean!

greenie44
11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Proud to be a misfit.

Lou Reed was a pretty key part of my life when I lived in NYC in the late 70s. He played the Bottom Line every couple of months for a few nights, and I usually caught at least one show. I had a pal from the UK in one Xmas season and we went to see Lou on Christmas night, where he played the entire Berlin album - one of my all time favorites, but depressing as hell. Oh, and he threw in Jingle Bells in the middle and then said "Now back to the topic of the evening, here's a song about suicide".

I went back to this song when thinking about him last week, and it really blew me away what a great tune it is - Lou's admiration for people like Doc Pomus, mixed with his own artistic temperament, shines through big time here. It encompasses so much scope in a couple of verses of plain spoken lyrics. And hearing Lou tell New York City lovers to not be afraid hit me particularly hard after his passing.

So, from what I feel like is a pretty forgettable album, here is Tell It To Your Heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2YImlvJKRM

redpaul1
11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Hey Paul -

I am going to be in London in early December. Let me know if tours are available Thursday or Friday, December 5 or 6, through a PM. Thanks in advance!

- greenie44

PM sent. Look forward to catching up!

myrnaukelele
11-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Me too! Especially for a theme like this where everyone must have loads of favorite songs from their 18th year.
Here's another John Prine song:

http://youtu.be/OjOndQP2RsA
I wore out my copy of Bonnie Raitt's Streetlights album - this song is on it.

TCK
11-06-2013, 06:26 PM
So, I kind of had this idea that Ukuleledaddy would show up first, and we would light the fire. Standing around it we would start playing as our friends came along and helped us out.
Alan, Kurt and Micheal could take turns filling in the leads.
Saskia could do the bass line on the Glock...
Paul would jump off the roof and give us the tempo.
Ralph harmonizing the highs and librarian hitting the lows...
Myrna filling in the background vocals with Lily,
Jon and John on mouth trumpet and megaphone...
all the rest in rank and file taking things up where they were needed...
and Melissa just laughing.
That is how things were playing out in my head, and of course, none of it happened.
So I was forced to record this alone.
I love the island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVhUlikRdsE&feature=youtu.be

peewee
11-06-2013, 08:53 PM
So, I kind of had this idea that Ukuleledaddy would show up first, and we would light the fire. Standing around it we would start playing as our friends came along and helped us out.
That is how things were playing out in my head, and of course, none of it happened.
I love the island.

Oh man, now I want to do No Parking on the Dance Floor. You all had better hope my brutal work week continues..

ukuleledaddy
11-07-2013, 08:05 AM
I love the island.

First of all, Dave get out of my head. I have constant fantasies of such a gathering.
Secondly, I wish I had this version to spin back in my wedding/ice rink DJ days. I had once thought that you'd have to put a gun to my head to listen to this song again, now I can't stop listening. Look what you've done.

decaturcomp
11-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Very nice. Got the soul of this one, didn't you? But then you normally do.

Me too! Especially for a theme like this where everyone must have loads of favorite songs from their 18th year.
Here's another John Prine song:
I wore out my copy of Bonnie Raitt's Streetlights album - this song is on it.

Tootler
11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Like TCK & Myrna said, pity this is a one entry season. Maybe I don't have 15 potential entries and, anyway I won't have time to record them. Here is a new recording of Blowin' in the Wind, though - with harmonica this time.

http://youtu.be/qfrItSu9RQo

pabrizzer
11-07-2013, 11:18 PM
It doesn't fit anywhere else. I was 2x18 when it was in the charts in Australia.
When the River Runs Dry by the Hunter and Collectors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-58aVlPYk)
When the River Runs Dry by Mark Seymour who was their lead singer and who wrote it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1sou1dO5k)
And by pabrizzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOocglBteAE

pabrizzer
11-08-2013, 07:27 PM
OK
I'm in G
It was released as a single in 1968 but was on Rock of Ages - a live in concert album in 1972.
A song I've always liked but have never done - so if I've mistimed the lyrics that's why - but join in anyway please -
The Weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4i9oWN2Eeg

decaturcomp
11-09-2013, 05:17 AM
Hey Rob and all, I started a community called Ukulele Underground on G+ if anyone wants to join up. I stated that we weren't the folks who own the site just members who love the place. If you join it will show up in your feed.

Search communities and you're there.

I have a circle called SEUKERS that I put all of my uker pals (SEUKERS, UWC folks, TBUGgers (that didn't come out right...) the professor and MaryAnne.)

If'n you can't beat 'em out number 'em.

Joko
11-09-2013, 06:57 AM
The most important video I've ever made was about a song that came out in 1988. when I was 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEp4DUqaCc

decaturcomp
11-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Sorry to get in the way of Joko's VERY important video (don't miss it!)
But this is an idea I had at Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway last week and Julie Austin and I were talking about adding a play without reading the music segment to our SEUKER jams even for new folks. Here's the second try at getting that idea started, albeit with some errors. Ideas? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evzCKz_8rOw

KoaDependent
11-09-2013, 01:25 PM
They Might Be Giants released their debut album in 1986, a few months after I turned 18. They've been a constant presence in my life since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkyzmcAwEKA

KoaDependent
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
My 18th birthday was the day I moved into my college dormitory. With the information that we received was a flyer for the Columbia House music club - buy 12 cassettes (yes, cassettes) for a penny. What a bargain! You were supposed to buy a certain number more at full price each year, which of course I didn't, but the tapes I got were the bedrock of my freshman year soundtrack. Among them was "The Queen Is Dead" by the Smiths. Here's one track off that, dedicated to Senator Rand Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NLPlCHf7NQ

we tigers
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
When I saw the theme I had to think of Flim by Aphex Twin. But I found out it was from 97 instead of 95...
But we recorded it anyway!

http://youtu.be/lLGQ-VgvIKo

pabrizzer
11-09-2013, 09:29 PM
When I saw the theme I had to think of Flim by Aphex Twin. But I found out it was from 97 instead of 95...

And it was terrific!

we tigers
11-09-2013, 10:22 PM
And it was terrific!

Thanks, my friend!

decaturcomp
11-10-2013, 02:49 AM
There is almost no way to describe how much I love this. I encourage all misfits to join me in declaring We Tigers the first ever winnners (without portfolio) of this week's Misfits Shadow Season. That was just wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

decaturcomp
11-10-2013, 02:58 AM
This is just Terrific, Koa. Be sure you enter the actual season with your choice, too if you haven't. If your prize is just to be the pride of at least one of your fellow ukers, you've already won however. I've always loved this song, too.

My 18th birthday was the day I moved into my college dormitory. With the information that we received was a flyer for the Columbia House music club - buy 12 cassettes (yes, cassettes) for a penny. What a bargain! You were supposed to buy a certain number more at full price each year, which of course I didn't, but the tapes I got were the bedrock of my freshman year soundtrack. Among them was "The Queen Is Dead" by the Sm

decaturcomp
11-10-2013, 03:01 AM
Gasp!

It's hard to believe this is by the same fellah who killed with the Smiths. You are one talented folkie, my friend!

They Might Be Giants released their debut album in 1986, a few months after I turned 18. They've been a constant presence in my life since.

Raygf
11-10-2013, 02:55 PM
High time I joined in on the misfits thread and contribute. I must say I enjoy one entry seasons and I also enjoy the fact that this season left me with many choices. I worked on this one the most, but went with Neil Young for my entry. 1977's Natural Mystic from the album Exodus. The epitome of reggae for me. Nothing else even gets close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TLU63yamw

myrnaukelele
11-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Here's a song by Warren Zevon. My voice is still not up to snuff so I'm waiting till later in the week to film my entries to Season 91. So this is a Season 91 bonus.

http://youtu.be/nGxnY9nGRRw

KoaDependent
11-11-2013, 05:42 PM
There is almost no way to describe how much I love this. I encourage all misfits to join me in declaring We Tigers the first ever winnners (without portfolio) of this week's Misfits Shadow Season. That was just wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
I'll second that motion, Mr. Chairman! Ambient uke, who'da thunk it?

This is just Terrific, Koa. Be sure you enter the actual season with your choice, too if you haven't. If your prize is just to be the pride of at least one of your fellow ukers, you've already won however. I've always loved this song, too.
Your kind words are greatly appreciated. I liked the Smiths tune too, but had even more fun with the Prince tune I dropped into the Season itself.

High time I joined in on the misfits thread and contribute. I must say I enjoy one entry seasons and I also enjoy the fact that this season left me with many choices. I worked on this one the most, but went with Neil Young for my entry. 1977's Natural Mystic from the album Exodus. The epitome of reggae for me. Nothing else even gets close.

I know I say it after every video you post, but I can't get enough of that cool, calming, effortless style.

librainian
11-12-2013, 10:26 AM
** WARNING ** the following content contains angry uke'ing related to google+ youtube comments and may not be appropriate for children, small furry animals and those easily offended by the work f**k. You have been warned.

I am linking to this simply because I found it amusing and is not a reflection of my current opinion about the new google+ requirement on youtube comments. I have not yet formed an opinion on this but I do agree that it was done in a very draconian way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTq8TrA3hb4

Tootler
11-12-2013, 10:46 AM
** WARNING ** the following content contains angry uke'ing related to google+ youtube comments and may not be appropriate for children, small furry animals and those easily offended by the work f**k. You have been warned.

I am linking to this simply because I found it amusing and is not a reflection of my current opinion about the new google+ requirement on youtube comments. I have not yet formed an opinion on this but I do agree that it was done in a very draconian way.

She's well on the way to one million hits. She'll be on Breakfast TV next.

Tootler
11-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I had hoped to get this uploaded yesterday but it was not to be. I've been at a mini folk festival all weekend so I did not get to record it until yesterday morning but I felt I had to record this song from Freewheelin', especially as yesterday was remembrance day.

Bob Dylans outburst about warmongers.

http://youtu.be/b0k0nT_rZ9g

pabrizzer
11-12-2013, 11:37 AM

I clicked LIKE.

YouTube is running along well so they hitch the poorly performing Google+ on behind.

wee_ginga_yin
11-12-2013, 11:08 PM
A quick rendition of a DIVINE MS M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49wLAmd2INs) song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LLvaGV1M5w

CHORDS USED IN THIS SONG
Bb

G7

Eb

Edim

D7

Cmin7

F7

Ebmin
http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/images/blank.gif
"On a Slow Boat to China" by Frank Loesser
Verse 1:
[Bb]I'd love to [G7]get you
On a [Eb]slow boat to[Edim]China,
[Bb]All to my[D7]self a[Eb]lone. [G7]
[Eb]Get you to[Edim]keep you in my[Bb]arms ever[G7]more,
[C7]Leave all your lovers
[Cm7]Weeping on the faraway [F7]shore.
Verse 2:
[Bb]Out on the[G7]briny
With the [Eb]moon big and [Edim]shiny,
[Bb]Melting your[D7]heart of [Eb]stone.[G7]
[Eb]I'd love to [Ebm]get you
On a [Bb]slow boat to[G7]China,
[C7]All to my[F7]self a[Bb]lone.

UkeyDave
11-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I clicked LIKE.

YouTube is running along well so they hitch the poorly performing Google+ on behind.
Love it. Liked it. ;-)

decaturcomp
11-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Shadow Season (Isn't it too early in the week to use a last entry?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_kXet7okHM

decaturcomp
11-14-2013, 07:10 PM
http://vimeo.com/79460872

ukuleledaddy
11-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I've done my three vids for 91. I still have a half bottle of Makers and three days until my wife comes home. Tonight, Blondie. Tomorrow night, disco. You've been warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk0pnSsjB7A

Rustyy
11-15-2013, 01:19 AM
This is the first time I have exceeded my quota for the weekly season, so thought I'd drop one in here.
Silver Threads and Golden Needles, originally by The Springfields, Dusty's group before forging her solo career.

whoops wrong video, back later

decaturcomp
11-15-2013, 02:28 AM
Anxious to hear your take on this Rustyy. I think Wanda Jackson recorded it first, fwiw.

This is the first time I have exceeded my quota for the weekly season, so thought I'd drop one in here.
Silver Threads and Golden Needles, originally by The Springfields, Dusty's group before forging her solo career.

whoops wrong video, back later

decaturcomp
11-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Most of you have seen this so...my apologies.
But it may be my favorite video I've ever been in and involves 3 seasonista amigos singing a Gillian Welch tune and she's coming to town next week and two of the three of us are going to hear her. The guy who isn't going may show up if the lottery ticket comes through for a plane ticket from Cataluna...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw-JtJHWI7o

bonesigh
11-15-2013, 03:40 AM
No bonuses for week 91 and I wanted to share this one. Why in the heck is it my 2nd most popular video....I don't know. Perhaps it's because I made a FOOL of myself (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPM6_VGdktk

decaturcomp
11-15-2013, 08:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F92mxHMCNcc
I hadn't thought about this in a long time and now I'm a little obsessed with it.
The vocal range isn't quite right here I guess or it's just me, but...

xommen
11-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I always liked this song but I already did three songs this season, so here it is for the misfits: Lisa Hannigan - Safe travels don't die.

http://youtu.be/KAblfSv3UgI