NUD! 60-70 years in the making.

prairieschooner

Reaction score
I just received my New Ukulele toDay! It is a 40's to 50's Martin Tenor and in wonderful condition. I bought it from Tigeralum2001 and it was a very easy transaction, maybe even better than he stated.
I put the original Tuners back on it and Martin 620 Strings for now. Soon Worth Brown LowG strings, maybe.
I gave it the best seat in the house, mine.
IMG_5535.JPGIMG_5533.JPGIMG_5532.JPGIMG_5536.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats on the score fro CJ...it is in pretty mint condition...fo sure...happy strummings..

Very nice! I love these old Martin tenors. Congratulations!

What a beauty! I'd have to learn to play better if I had one of those. Congratulations

Congrats on the score fro CJ...it is in pretty mint condition...fo sure...happy strummings..

Yes it is "minty" and I am STOKED! The hardest part of the sale was prying it out of CJ's possession! but that was understandable after I
received it.

Last edited:
I hope you love that uke as much as I have! It is in wonderful shape and sounds spectacular. It was very hard to let it go, but seeing how excited you are, I know I made the right decision. Enjoy it, my friend!

For future reference, Steve (Prarieschooner) is awesome to do business with. He is extremely honest and the transaction couldn't have gone smoother!

I hope you love that uke as much as I have! It is in wonderful shape and sounds spectacular. It was very hard to let it go, but seeing how excited you are, I know I made the right decision. Enjoy it, my friend!

For future reference, Steve (Prarieschooner) is awesome to do business with. He is extremely honest and the transaction couldn't have gone smoother!

Thanks CJ,
A good transaction is one where both parties are happy, this one was a Great Transaction!
And when Tigeralum2001 decides to sell the other Ukes (Soprano and Baritone) jump on them!

Win-win from two respected UU members brings joy to everyone.

I got my from UU brother PDXUke.

My Martin tenor is almost exactly the same for condition and seemingly year, at least with the tuners, as yours Steve. So, those came in 1946 and the fourteen frets came in 1960 (mine has 12, I think yours, too?). So, yep, ours is '46-59 per Walsh/King. The reason my strings are long is bc I restrung it with Fremont Blacklines (which I adore for all my Martins).
MARTINTEMP 001.jpgMARTINTEMP 003.jpg

What's the ticket with the tuners, Steve? Did it not have original tuners initially (and they were just included)?

Last edited:
What's the ticket with the tuners, Steve? Did it not have original tuners initially (and they were just included)?
Yes. One of the buttons cracked along the seam. They are Grover tuners and the model is still made. So I bought some to replace the cracked button. Although they have the same external measurements, the button is really a post and the internal parts are not interchangeable. So I replaced the tuners with the modern version (no adjustment to the uke needed since the external measurements are identical). I did this in March of this year. Anyhow, I sent the originals with the uke. Steve put them back on and put the cracked button on a lower tension string... Maybe I should have just done that!

I see, CJ. You just helped me. How? I had no idea these buttons could crack along the seam. I have at least two, and maybe more, ukes with those vintage buttons. I tend to tighten my frictions quite strongly. You just reminded me, or taught me, that the weak part is the vintage plastic buttons! Important point. Thanks. -- Steve.

Win-win from two respected UU members brings joy to everyone.

So, yep, ours is '46-59 per Walsh/King. The reason my strings are long is bc I restrung it with Fremont Blacklines (which I adore for all my Martins).

The original tuners were included and since the Uke was in such wonderful condition it demanded that the originals get put back on (I actually heard it!). There are what I would call "Friction Washers" between the tuner and the headstock, I made sure that all of these washers were installed with the best side towards the wood and maybe this helped.
Now I am on a hunt for some new Buttons but for now may try to repair the cracked one.
I used Martin 620 Strings when I re-installed the original Tuners since I was very happy with the sound of them on the Favilla Soprano, not the same on the Martin Tenor. I'll have to see about Fremont Blacklines, high or low G?

I see, CJ. You just helped me. How? I had no idea these buttons could crack along the seam. I have at least two, and maybe more, ukes with those vintage buttons. I tend to tighten my frictions quite strongly. You just reminded me, or taught me, that the weak part is the vintage plastic buttons! Important point. Thanks. -- Steve.
It is hard to tell from this picture, but the knob on the top left is splitting along the seam. I am told this is common as the plastic turns very brittle after many years; so be mindful of that... the hazards of vintage gear, I guess. At least the tuners are still manufactured.

IMG_1224.jpg

What a beautiful instrument and I feel the UU Kumbaya with the win/win transaction. I would love to try to find something vintage, but don't trust my own search skills. I always love the vintage posts y'all make, though.

What a beautiful instrument and I feel the UU Kumbaya with the win/win transaction. I would love to try to find something vintage, but don't trust my own search skills. I always love the vintage posts y'all make, though.
My humble advice would be to PM Tigeralum2001 to see if you could make a deal with him.............Kumbaya! This is no rehearsal!

Top Bottom