Thinning the herd

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
After much deliberation, I have decided to thin my collection quite a bit. I have been blessed with some really great ukes, but I have attachment issues to all that I own. The hardest to let go was my vintage Martin tenor. It is a magnificent uke, but got so little playing time. At the end of the day, if I am not playing them then I don't need them. Especially when there are good homes out there that will love them.

Out of my 3 vintage Martins, the tenor was the best, it is in near mint shape. The good thing about selling the best of the bunch is it means the others will be easier to let go. I'm not sure where I will sell them. I hate selling vintage ukes online as I think it is best to inspect them and play them before buying.

My ultimate goal is to get down to 4-5 ukes. That is a significant decrease from where I am now. It may not be a cure for UAS (is there such a thing?), but not a bad first attempt at downsizing... :) Although, I will freely admit there are 2 ukes out there that I have my eye on... It's always something, isn't it?

It is. Always something, that is. I agree, CJ.

After much deliberation, I have decided to thin my collection quite a bit. I have been blessed with some really great ukes, but I have attachment issues to all that I own. The hardest to let go was my vintage Martin tenor. It is a magnificent uke, but got so little playing time. At the end of the day, if I am not playing them then I don't need them. Especially when there are good homes out there that will love them.

Out of my 3 vintage Martins, the tenor was the best, it is in near mint shape. The good thing about selling the best of the bunch is it means the others will be easier to let go. I'm not sure where I will sell them. I hate selling vintage ukes online as I think it is best to inspect them and play them before buying.

My ultimate goal is to get down to 4-5 ukes. That is a significant decrease from where I am now. It may not be a cure for UAS (is there such a thing?), but not a bad first attempt at downsizing... :) Although, I will freely admit there are 2 ukes out there that I have my eye on... It's always something, isn't it?

Are you going to Napa? They have a consignment table there.

That's like my KoAloha soprano.

I never play it, but I just can't part with it, because it was my first uke. And I bought it on the big island during the greatest vacation of my life. Way too many memories attached to it.

Are you going to Napa? They have a consignment table there.
Unfortunately, no. Want to take some ukes to sell? ;) j/k
That's like my KoAloha soprano.

I never play it, but I just can't part with it, because it was my first uke. And I bought it on the big island during the greatest vacation of my life. Way too many memories attached to it.
Exactly. Perhaps I get too attached to things because my story is not as good as yours. I had just bought a Pineapple Sunday- my dream uke at the time and sold my first uke (lanikai). I was at a guitar show with some friends and was looking for a uke. This was in early 2010 and I hadn't been playing long. I saw a few crappy, really overpriced Martins, but nothing nice. I ran into a friend at a booth and he asked if I had found anything I liked, I said "no, but I'm not sure I'll find a nice Martin uke at a guitar show." The dealer said "What- you want a uke?" He went into a box and pulled out this 1940s tenor Martin in its original case. It was in near mint shape. He said he took it on trade for a guitar and couldn't sell it and he just happened to have it in a container that they took to the show. He gave me a reasonable deal on it. I really didn't have the cash, but if there is one thing I have learned from American Pickers, it is that the time to buy something rare is when you have the chance. A friend at the show leant me the difference and I paid for it. I think it still had the original strings on it, because those things were OLD and ugly. I restrung it and it sung. I have loved it since. However, as I have matured as a player and found new "dream" ukes, the Martins fell out of the weekly, then monthly rotation. Might as well find loving homes for them. The Martins I own are all nice, but the tenor was just extra special.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no. Want to take some ukes to sell? ;) j/k

Exactly. Perhaps I get too attached to things because my story is not as good as yours. I had just bought a Pineapple Sunday- my dream uke at the time and sold my first uke (lanikai). I was at a guitar show with some friends and was looking for a uke. This was in early 2010 and I hadn't been playing long. I saw a few crappy, really overpriced Martins, but nothing nice. I ran into a friend at a booth and he asked if I had found anything I liked, I said "no, but I'm not sure I'll find a nice Martin uke at a guitar show." The dealer said "What- you want a uke?" He went into a box and pulled out this 1940s tenor Martin in its original case. It was in near mint shape. He said he took it on trade for a guitar and couldn't sell it and he just happened to have it in a container that they took to the show. He gave me a reasonable deal on it. I really didn't have the cash, but if there is one thing I have learned from American Pickers, it is that the time to buy something rare is when you have the chance. A friend at the show leant me the difference and I paid for it. I think it still had the original strings on it, because those things were OLD and ugly. I restrung it and it sung. I have loved it since. However, as I have matured as a player and found new "dream" ukes, the Martins fell out of the weekly, then monthly rotation. Might as well find loving homes for them. The Martins I own are all nice, but the tenor was just extra special.

Hmm...that's a pretty good story in itself.

Just wondering, what is your "dream uke" now?

This I gotta hear:)

(CJ has one of the finest stable of ukes of anyone I've met. . . or heard about for that matter.)

I admit my dream uke is really no surprise. I would love a beautifully inlaid Moore Bettah. I'm not sure it gets better than that- at least for me. My #2 choice would be a DeVine.

Gary is right. I am blessed with better ukes than my skills deserve. I have absolutely no reason to complain and I hope it doesn't come across that way.

Very nice. Today, I just took pictures of some ukes that I'm looking to sell soon too. My goal is to get down to 3-4 esp since I might be relocating eventually. I've sold a lot of ukes before...like a LOT of ukes and guitars, and I've found that I really don't miss any of them too much. Some of them would be nice to still have, but as most were simple production instruments, they're items that I can just go out and easily buy again if I really wanted anyway--as opposed to rarer custom items.

Very nice. Today, I just took pictures of some ukes that I'm looking to sell soon too. My goal is to get down to 3-4 esp since I might be relocating eventually. I've sold a lot of ukes before...like a LOT of ukes and guitars, and I've found that I really don't miss any of them too much. Some of them would be nice to still have, but as most were simple production instruments, they're items that I can just go out and easily buy again if I really wanted anyway--as opposed to rarer custom items.
Seriously, let me know if the Aldrine model is one you are considering selling... :)

I admit my dream uke is really no surprise. I would love a beautifully inlaid Moore Bettah. I'm not sure it gets better than that- at least for me. My #2 choice would be a DeVine.

Gary is right. I am blessed with better ukes than my skills deserve. I have absolutely no reason to complain and I hope it doesn't come across that way.

According to Gary, a CR is a better uke any day of the week.

Doh! Did I just say that out loud??

According to Gary, a CR is a better uke any day of the week.

Doh! Did I just say that out loud??
I have seen a number of custom CRs and they are mighty nice ukes! The customs are a couple notches above the production CRs, IMHO. I love the local sourcing of the wood that Rick does. I don't have much bad to say about them-- I don't like the standard rosette, though. :). To each his own.

I have seen a number of custom CRs and they are mighty nice ukes! The customs are a couple notches above the production CRs, IMHO. I love the local sourcing of the wood that Rick does. I don't have much bad to say about them-- I don't like the standard rosette, though. :). To each his own.

He doesn't like the shape of the peghead either:)

He doesn't like the shape of the peghead either:)
Yes, this is true. Looks out of proportion to me. (Too large) minor complaints, though. I think Rick would let me do a different rosette, but I think I would have to learn to live with the peghead... Should I ever order a custom, that is. He does have (or had) some wood that intrigued me- redwood sources from a Stanford fence.

Yes, this is true. Looks out of proportion to me. (Too large) minor complaints, though. I think Rick would let me do a different rosette, but I think I would have to learn to live with the peghead... Should I ever order a custom, that is. He does have (or had) some wood that intrigued me- redwood sources from a Stanford fence.

The redwood sounds amazing. Who would have thought a fence could sound so good?

are we talking about thinning the heard or trying to convince him to buy a CR?

pm me and I'll name a few more!! :p

Last edited:
are we talking about thinning the heard or trying to convince him to buy a CR?

pm me and I'll name a few more!! :p
As long as the net number of ukes is lower, why can't it be both?!

Do you mean more CR issues or more brands to look into? Lots of great luthiers out there!!!

Sell 'em CJ. I had a KoAloha Pikake concert that I bought from MGM in 2009 that was a magnificent uke. It was truly in mint condition. But long ago I decided to focus my playing on tenors only and it went mostly unplayed in it's case for years. I had planned to give it to my son at some point in the future, but his interest in playing the ukulele has faded. But I couldn't bring myself to sell it as it was such an outstanding uke.

But about six months ago a member posted a WTB thread in the marketplace looking for a K brand concert for his 11 year old daughter. She had recently won a talent show concert with her starter uke and wanted to upgrade. She had saved about $300 on her own and her uncle was going to kick in some money as well. I knew at that point I had found the right person for my KoAloha. I sold it to them for a below market price knowing that she would enjoy that uke for many years to come.

When you get that first inkling to thin the heard, for whatever the reason may be, act on it and don't look back. Let someone else enjoy what you don't play anymore.

Top Bottom