Decided on a Mainland! But what wood?

Ukulele-uk

Reaction score
Hi everybody

Just decided on buying a Mainland Concert for my first Ukulele!

Can anybody help me to understand the differences between the Mahogany, Red Cedar and Mango woods?

Thanks in advance to all posters

Lewis

Hi Lewis. Pippin had a good post about tonewoods a few months back. Here's a link. Me, I love my Red Cedar Mainland, but I haven't tried the others.

Congratulations on your new uke! I hope you stick around on UU.

Thanks for the link teruterubouzu and i will be sticking around for sure, what a site for the budding Uker!

We have 2 mahogany Mainlands in our house. I really like the mahogany but I also like lots of olives on my pizza and nothing that ever swam in the sea. If you can't find a shop in your area that sells Mainlands, maybe you could find one that sells ukes so you can test the sound of different tops.

What size are you thinking? Can't answer the question of wood differences with any authority (or even much experience) but I do have two Mainlands. A red cedar concert and a mango tenor. The cedar is a sweet thing and I really love the tone. The mango and I are still negotiating an understanding. I like it and fully expect to love it one day, but it's taking a courting period. Need to try some new strings. The next purchase down the road will be a Mainland mahogany (or cedar) soprano, most likely. They're great ukes - good choice! You'll probably eventually have more than one flavor. Hope you report back with your pick.

Hi I have the red cedar which I bought from eagle music very nice and easy to play and also loud.
hope this helps a little good luck.

I have a red cedar sound board with rosewood back and sides and it is vibrant without being too bright. My husband's mahogany is really sweet and warm sounding but still with a good projection. For me, mahogany is more for blending in and cedar/rosewood is more for being noticed (timbre-wise, not visually, because any wood you choose with a Mainland will result in a beautiful instrument).

I was lucky enough to visit Mike and family this summer and get to try a range of his Ukes. The Mahogany is mellow and perhaps too like other ukes I already own. The Mango lacked character, IMHO, but was still lovely, I'd have been proud to own one. But number one for me, personally, was the Red Cedar - it really sang and gave me the brightness I was lacking in my arsenal. Whichever one you choose, I reckon you can't got wrong with a Mainland.

I would go with the mahogany, particularly for your first "good" uke. It's a good solid tonewood that's been around a long time for a reason, and I doubt you'd ever regret having a decent mahogany uke around. The softer woods like spruce and cedar definitely affect the sound, and it's nice to experiment and enjoy the different qualities of various woods, but a good mahogany (or koa for that matter) uke is a good solid foundation to start from. Or, if you stick with having only one, it's unlikely that you'd wish you'd chosen a different wood.

I own 2 Red Cedar Tenors one for gigging with a pick up using a low G and the other which is acoustic and I cherish although it gets played these ukes are excellent value for money and they sound fantastic, I too bought mine from Eagle Music great service and after service

I have a red cedar sound board with rosewood back and sides and it is vibrant without being too bright. My husband's mahogany is really sweet and warm sounding but still with a good projection. For me, mahogany is more for blending in and cedar/rosewood is more for being noticed (timbre-wise, not visually, because any wood you choose with a Mainland will result in a beautiful instrument).

Mega dittos! I have the same mainland ukes. Spruce is also a good top but not as good as the others IMO.

Never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone on these forums are, Thanks Everyone!

Ive taken in all your humble opinions and have decided on.....drumroll plz:rolleyes:

The Red Cedar!

I'm sure you will be thrilled with it!

Good choice! My red cedar tenor is my favorite! :)

Never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone on these forums are, Thanks Everyone!

Ive taken in all your humble opinions and have decided on.....drumroll plz:rolleyes:

The Red Cedar!

Yay for you!!! You will be in love instantly.

Top Bottom