Travel to the islands to buy a nice uke.

srpompon

Reaction score
I need some help to travel to the islands and buy a nice uke.

Aloha,

i needed some assistance from the people of the Islands.

On November 1, I make my first trip to hawaii from Argentina, with my wife and a friend, we have time for 7 nights, I want to know the life of hawaii, try many foods and buy a nice custom uke, my wife wants to see more exotic nature and beaches, which is the best option, Oahu or Maui?

Being 4 nights in Waikiki and 3 in Maui is possible? in my travel agency told me to travel from honolulu to maui is complex and takes many hours, this is real?
I see in some pages about a ferry (3.5 hours honolulu->maui) this is viable? i dont like to much small airplanes.

Probably many people ask this here, if you have a recommended way to do this trip i for sure greatly appreciate the help!

And the biggest, to buy a custom uke whit no much time, stores like PuaPua is te correct way?

Regards,

Ivan

ps: google translate helpme in this one.. for sure some parts are funny :eek:

Last edited:
I don't live there, but have been to visit.

I'd go to Oahu for one trip, and Maui for another. Just relax and enjoy each island for what it is rather than fussing with the time and logistics of inter-island travel, car rentals and returns on each, etc.

Addendum: I just noticed you're there for seven nights. My advice was for someone there for two or more weeks. For seven nights, it becomes a no brainier: one or the other island. Lol. Youll waste a ton of time in seven short days futzing with it, otherwise. Time that you could be touring KoAloha.

You sure have some nice ukuleles. I like Mya Moes, too.

Last edited:
Thanks! and ok, one vote the 1 week in Oahu!

And yes i have some nice ones but the one from Hawaii, in my hands in the islands.... for sure be the best!!!

You sure have some nice ukuleles. I like Mya Moes, too.

Travel between islands is not that big a deal, but will take several hours from beginning to end. However, your travel agency isn't right, it is easy and lots of planes do it all day.

If you go to Oahu, Hawaii Music Supply (HMS) is WONDERFUL. Their staff are regular posters here, and they are all about ukulele. PuaPua has good ukuleles to offer but I preferred HMS. It is on the North Shore of Oahu, and you will love it. Oahu and Maui have different feels to them....I suggest you do some travel research and see what fits best for you and your wife. Both islands have a lot of nature and beaches....

On Oahu, you can visit KoAloha and Kamaka....

Thanks Ryan,

i order my koaloha from HMS but for this trip i want to buy a custom like a Moore Bettah, Chuck say in its web Pua Pua have some customs, but of cours a visit to the fabrics and HMS is a yes!!!!

Oahu is the first point.... my question is whether to go for 2 nights in Maui or keep all the 7 nights in Oahu....

Travel between islands is not that big a deal, but will take several hours from beginning to end. However, your travel agency isn't right, it is easy and lots of planes do it all day.

If you go to Oahu, Hawaii Music Supply (HMS) is WONDERFUL. Their staff are regular posters here, and they are all about ukulele. PuaPua has good ukuleles to offer but I preferred HMS. It is on the North Shore of Oahu, and you will love it. Oahu and Maui have different feels to them....I suggest you do some travel research and see what fits best for you and your wife. Both islands have a lot of nature and beaches....

On Oahu, you can visit KoAloha and Kamaka....

I would stay 2 night on Oahu and the rest in Maui..

I live on Oahu and it is like any other big city like Buenos Aires...but they have nice shopping...since you are a KoAloha fan you can do the tour there at 1000am and the rest of the day check out HMS..

if you are looking for a Real Custom uke...the chances are slim you will find a nice...great sounding one sitting on the racks..unless you are very lucky...No Way are you going to find a Moore Bettah....

you could order one from a builder but it will not be ready by the time you get here...
I would visit some of the builders while you are here to pick your wood for your custom uke...
i.e. Noa at Ko'olau or Rollo from Scheurenbrand Guitars.... when on Maui you can check out Eric Devine too...

spend as much time on Maui it is more relaxing and less people...and more of old Hawaii there...no freeways...haha
Honolulu/Waikiki on Oahu again just like any other large US city...freeways.traffic and tall buildings etc...
oh by the way in live on Oahu...but would love to live on the Big Island of Hawaii

just my 2 cents

Hey, you are going to have a great time either way, OAHU is PUA PUA in Sheridan hotel is the best selection, also in Hilton lobby near Marina. HMS is probably best service & prices UNLESS your beauty is at another store. KoAloha is a great place to visit BUT don't overlook Kanilea uke over the hill, worth the trip. Go to ALL BEFORE you decide & play them. Maui has some nice stores plus MELE ukes , should look there also. I like the BIG ISLAND after I buy in Oahu, BUT there are some great ukes made there. TOO much info I guess, you need to win the lottery for what you find and want to but. Be prepared to come home with more than one. ENJOY Hawaii

I only live on Oahu part time, but really like it, more than Maui. I like Waikiki, despite its crowds, and I think the drive up the windward (east) side of Oahu is one of the prettiest drives in all of the Islands. Puapua is definitely worth a stop, with a slightly better selection at the Sheraton location than the one in the Moana Surfrider shopping area.

You should take a leisurely drive on the windward side up to HMS. If you are like me, you may want to spend more time there than the people you are with. If that is true, send them down to the little Haleiwa shopping village, or, if you want even more time. to Laniakea Beach, about a 10 minute drive where you can see large sea turtles bouncing in the waves and usually on the beach basking too. That will give you plenty of time at HMS - you just might need it.

And if you drive up to the North Shore, a big recommendation to stop at Tita's Grill in Kahuku. Although it's at an intersection, you could miss it if you aren't paying attention. And it is killer - garlic shrimp, loco moco and the best dang tuna fish sandwich I ever ate in my life. (If you are lucky, Uncle will have made chocolate cake that day, also the best I ever ate.)

And there is a jam session behind the police station on Waikiki every Sunday night at 8 PM. Mostly Hawaiian songs, but fun.

IMHO.

I totally agree with hawaii50. Listen to a local who lives here. Two or three days on Oahu is plenty. I would definitely visit both islands. As much as I love Oahu, travelers who only go there miss out on the diversity of the islands. I have lived on or visited all of the major islands and they are all very different. Make Hawaii Music Supply one of your first stops on Oahu. It's on the North Shore, away from Waikiki where you'll probably be staying. Spend the day seeing the sights and pick up the ukulele of your dreams from the fine folks at HMS. Then spend the rest of your visit in Maui, playing your uke and kicking back. Traveling between islands is extremely easy and efficient. Sure, it'll take a few hours but even being in an airport in Hawaii is pretty cool. While waiting for your flight you can walk around the shops, gawk at the locals and tourists and play your new uke.
Chill, relax & have fun.

thanks all for the info... now i try to add some extra nights to the trip and stay 5 days in each!

thanks friends!!

I cannot offer advice, but congratulate you on your trip and custom ukulele search. I spent my honeymoon on Ohau and Maui and loved it. Hoping you have a safe and wonderful Aloha experience!

I've been to both islands, and I love both but I find Oahu much more special. There is city life in Waikiki, a lot of stuff to do at night, and driving around the island you can find a lot nice little beaches that all offer something different. The beach at the Chinaman's hat (no offense meant here, that's what it's called and I don't know the real name of the beach) is nice, calm, and the water is warm to the touch in the summer time. There's good snorkeling there, too. For even better snorkeling, go to Shark's Cove on the North Shore.

For cheap eats, go to Zippy's and have the chili and rice-it's delicious. For good Asian food go to Lucky Belly in Chinatown, the lamb lumpia is delicious, and the brisket is amazing. Sushi King in Honolulu has great sushi, reasonably priced.

In Maui, be sure to do the road to Hana, in a Jeep, if you can. There's also great snorkeling at a round shallow bay off the map, I think it's Honolua Bay. The car rental maps tell you not to go there. But I found a safe place, and didn't have any problems.

Maui is really the place to relax and do nothing. It seems like everything shuts down at 8pm or something. I found it slightly boring, and it seemed like there weren't that many actual Hawaiians there. Most people mistook for me a Hawaiian! There is a placed to eat called Aloha Mixed Plate that I found had the best food at the best prices.

And definitely do not leave valuables in the car!

Your travel agent is right that it will take several hours from hotel/condo to hotel/condo. However, as mentioned above, there are many air options and they don't need to include small planes. More likely 737, 717 etc. unless you want to, i wouldn't do it by boat. If you want two islands, I would also do Oahu for a few days and Maui for the remainder, unless you are out of Honolulu area on Oahu. Honolulu is just another busy, noisy city. We have a rental condo on Maui so obviously love it there but Oahu has Koaloha, Kamaka, and HMS which is a definite plus. When on Maui, look up 808ukejams.com on Thursday evenings in Kihei for a fun time playing with 30+ others. If you are very lucky your timing will line up with one of their island trips where you play music about the location you are at, get some local culture, hula, food and much aloha. Enjoy!

Been to both. Call me a city kid. Oahu rules. I'm sure Maui is special for those living in congested Oahu. But for a traveler on limited time who wants to eat at world class restaurants, hit surf shops, see a couple of shows, Oahu rules. The variety of Oahu...city, red dirt country, artist's home shops, private gardens, Punch Bowl, Tantalus Rd, Wainae, Temple, quiet north...it's unreplicable.

Maui. Pretty. Real pretty. Windy. That's about it.

Last edited:
Oh, and inter-island travel is not that big a deal. The flight between Maui and Oahu is about 30 minutes, maybe less. You ascend, then almost immediately descend. And it's definitely worth it to see 2 islands.

I agree with the other advice about staying the full 7 nights in Oahu. A common traveler mistake is to try to cram in too much on a visit, and you lose on both counts. Inter-island travel may not be all that complicated, but there's a lot of baggage associated with air travel...getting to and from the airport, car rental or other transportation arrangements, and just familiarizing yourself with the new location after your trip.

If you can extend it to 5 days each and visit both, that may be some better, but remember you really won't have 5 full days in each place. There's plenty on Oahu to more than fill your 6 days and leave you wanting more, but regardless of which you choose, give yourself time to relax and enjoy your visit instead of trying to fit in too much.

Having been to a few of the islands, I agree with Chuck. Go to a factory tour in Oahu, I'd recommend Kamaka, guided by Fred, a part of ukulele history. Pick up a uke from HMS and chill in Maui!

wow.. a lot of fun... !! i really appreciate all comments! tomorrow i call my travel agency and tell here the final schedule.

about the uke buy HSM is for sure the best option, i email today Andrew for HSM about the buy.

thanks!!!

You are going to have a BLAST!

The North Shore where HMS is draws me back like a magnet! The store is great that's where my son and I got started. Have a plan to get your purchases back. I ended up shipping 3 from Home Depot near the airport and would have been better served having HMS just ship them home for me. There are so many beautiful ukuleles in Hawaii it's amazing really. We had a great time but I wish I had planned more carefully to squeeze more into the trip.

Top Bottom