Pinky mute while chunking?

I don't think there's a particular reason. (and only one person can correct me) I guess it's kinda an impulse, like when I put an extra strum between chords.....

There's really only one person who assuredly knows

very true .it's not OOMPHness, though? instead of UMPHness?

(OMG GRAMMAR FREAK ALERT!)

...Or was that a typo!?

emogrinnojq6.gif

I do it too (not to compare myself to Aldrine by any means). In fact, I see a ton of people do it. The reason for me is that it assures a clean muted percussive sound, whereas sometimes when I chunk without it, my palm/thumb chub(lol) doesnt always catch every string and some nasty sounds happen.

I just tried it and IMO it's a simple difference: if you chunk without the pinky mute you'll hear the chord for a moment (so it's more like a harmonic/percussive sound). while using the PM the chunk will sound just percussive (without any sounding note or chord)...

that's what I'd say.

i've just experimented with both types and i've noticed the chunk with the pinky mute is a bit deeper in sound so its a little more bassy. also when i do a normal one the sound is slightly more separated but its kinda hard to notice unless you're really paying close attention.

Top Bottom