Modified Falcate/Kasha Tenor Ukulele

J.F. Custom

Reaction score
Why you might ask?

Well, some background is required. The design criteria was for "something different" in visual design, bracing style and 'hopefully' tone - compared to that already owned. Kasha was put to me as a potential to meet those demands. And so this design started life as a Kasha instrument on paper/computer. However, I had reservations about the Kasha bracing without some modifications or, as Eric Devine does, a bridge doctor in from the start. Though I respect that Eric has far more experience with the design than I, a bridge doctor solution just did not appeal to me, so I played with the bracing.

Long story short, in my mind, Falcate bracing provided the best 'fix' to what I felt were the shortcomings of Kasha, while still meeting the design criteria. So it was that I had the discussion then over Kasha vs Falcate. Falcate was accepted, but not until after the design had been drafted in Kasha style....

Born from that was a hybrid that needed to keep the accepted drafted aesthetic, while encompassing the Falcate bracing system in so much as possible. My solution you'll see below. With the offset soundhole, I opened as much of the soundboard potential vibrating area as I could first, then heavily reinforced the upper bout. Well, if you're still with me, pictures say it best...

Specs as follows :

Soundboard - Sitka Spruce (Purportedly Master)
Back/Sides - Figured Blackwood
Neck - Qld Maple
Fretboard - Bocote
Bridge - Bocote
Binding/Purfling - Blackwood and Maple
Rosette - Amboyna, Ziricote and M.O.P.
Saddle/Nut - Bone
Falcate Bracing - King Billy and Carbon Fiber
Tuners - Waverly with Ebony knobs

falcate_upright.jpg
falcate_reverse_front.jpg
falcate_body_angle.jpg
falcate_back.jpg
falcate_rosette.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Beautiful work! I'd love to hear how it sounds.

Looks good

I was talking to Trevor Gore last week and he got an order for a matching guitar and uke so shall be doing a similar thing.

Cheers Doc and ksquine, appreciated.

Yeah, I too would like a sound clip! Unfortunately I am not proficient enough on ukulele to warrant recording... I also do not know anyone local to me here who is, but I'm working on it. I always tell customers I'd be happy to get a recording/sound clip but obviously this is up to them. If I get one, I'll certainly post it. Until then, guess I better work on my playing skills.

Thanks Beau. It will be interesting to see what Trevor comes up with for his first (?) ukulele build. Of course, he won't have to 'modify' his own design to incorporate an upper bout soundhole like this one required. So perhaps he may opt for only the primary falcate braces and no secondaries or others... Certainly seems possible. We'll see. My primary and secondary falcates were carbon fibre laminated, while the very small side braces were not carbon capped and likely were not required at all. There was no bridge patch used on this build.

Anyway, some more experimenting will be beneficial for all, so I'm happy to see some others trying the style on uke's.

Cheers.

Hey Jeremy. Don't know anything about the design issues, but that's definitely a stunning uke! Beautiful!

very beautiful rosette design. was there a reason to put the soundhole on the left instead on the right side? did you have to decide which side to put the soundhole during the build?
:)

Cheers AKuker, generous comments.

Tangimango - I would have said it was on the upper right bout? At least, looking from the front. But as to why comes back to Kasha. Kasha designs place the soundhole in the upper bout, usually like this one, to incorporate their bracing ideas. To the best of my knowledge (not an expert on the subject!) they were trying to expand the vibrating area while distributing the load more evenly over the whole top. They also believed it beneficial to 'weight' that bracing in terms of bass to treble as such. Hence the standard Kasha bridge style and the non-uniform/symmetrical bracing.

As my design started life as a Kasha, that aspect was somewhat set. I then modified Falcate bracing to accept the upper bout soundhole, including a sloping upper transverse brace, to maximise the vibrating area - at least in my mind.

But you could potentially change which side the soundhole goes on sure. You would have to change the bracing to suit. You could even do something Ken Parker style with an upper left bout soundhole meeting and making part of a side port! Just design carefully and thoughtfully.

Hope this answers your question.

Top Bottom