Soundhole position ?

tangimango

Reaction score
ive noticed that some devine ukuleles soundhole are positioned on the right side of the ukulele and some of Moore bettah ukuleles are on the left side on the ukulele. Just curious on if it makes any sound difference between the left and right position of the soundhole?

since the A string is closer to the right side soundhole and the G string closer to the left side sound hole.

hope in making some sense. im thinking its all cosmetic and dosnt matter left or right side?

what you guys think. all of my ukuleles is the traditional center soundhole position but the ones that are offset to the side looks pretty good. and im not talking about the side side port hole.

Last edited:
Sound hole placement is predicated on the bracing pattern. As in Eric's Kasha braced instruments. I'm not sure what Chuck has done with the bracing on the ones you are referencing, but I would guess that it might have something to do with the bracing pattern..... or perhaps just a design element.

Making a difference to the sound? Personally, I wouldn't be trying to read too much into it's placement over the skill of the builder.

Thank you Allen for always giving me great answers. mahalos

Sound hole placement is predicated on the bracing pattern. As in Eric's Kasha braced instruments. I'm not sure what Chuck has done with the bracing on the ones you are referencing, but I would guess that it might have something to do with the bracing pattern..... or perhaps just a design element.

Making a difference to the sound? Personally, I wouldn't be trying to read too much into it's placement over the skill of the builder.

I'd second Allens comments in general.

Note that I also responded to your similar question in my own Falcate/Kasha thread.

Often it is based around the bracing design. A symmetrical bracing style that simply removed the central soundhole and pushed the upper transverse closer to the neck, could have the soundhole in either the upper left or upper right bout - or both at once.

As to sounding different - not in terms of left or right or centre in my opinion. Potentially more difference with respect to the bracing style behind the choice.

In my experience, sound hole placement definitely affects the sound of the instrument. Since the area south of the lower sound hole brace is most resonant, moving the sound hole out of the way allows you to adjust the bracing to create a larger effective vibrating area. The result naturally is a bigger sound. Of course the bracing needs to be beefed up to allow for the greater resonating real estate. I see no practicality in a right hand sound hole.. While playing your fingers will sometime get caught in the hole and it makes fret board configuration awkward. To take this subject to the extreme, maybe you don't even need a sound hole in the top. Side sound ports offer all kinds of possibilities. Don't be afraid to play around with the arrangement. Don't do something just because someone else is doing it. Find out for yourself what works best.
Speaking about bracing in general, I pay no attention to specific bracing patterns (or any bracing at all) as long as the top is supported the way I want and the sound board moves the way I want it to. Within that criteria you can do anything you want.
Just my one penny's worth.

Last edited:
It's most enlightening to read other people's experience/opinions. The LHS vs RHS soundhole is a question I've pondered a few times as well. The LHS soundhole seems to make more sense to me as my fingers wouldn't get tangled when I'm playing and it would still allow scope for a cutaway. I look forward to the day when I have the time to experiment with all these ideas.
Miguel

thank you Chuck, great advice. if i had to choose soundhole placement, it would be on the left side or high side of the ukulele when playing just like some of your models. i like the offset look of the soundhole. what type of bracing pattern could you recommend if i place it on the left side? of course i will experiment.

In my experience, sound hole placement definitely affects the sound of the instrument. Since the area south of the lower sound hole brace is most resonant, moving the sound hole out of the way allows you to adjust the bracing to create a larger effective vibrating area. The result naturally is a bigger sound. Of course the bracing needs to be beefed up to allow for the greater resonating real estate. I see no practicality in a right hand sound hole.. While playing your fingers will sometime get caught in the hole and it makes fret board configuration awkward. To take this subject to the extreme, maybe you don't even need a sound hole in the top. Side sound ports offer all kinds of possibilities. Don't be afraid to play around with the arrangement. Don't do something just because someone else is doing it. Find out for yourself what works best.
Speaking about bracing in general, I pay no attention to specific bracing patterns (or any bracing at all) as long as the top is supported the way I want and the sound board moves the way I want it to. Within that criteria you can do anything you want.
Just my one penny's worth.

i agree with you there. if the soundhole was on the RHS i woulnt be able to do some picking styles because there would be no surpost area for my fingers because of hole. also when holding the ukulele, your hand will cover the RHS soundhole(just a cosmetic thing) so it looks like there is no soundhole.:) either way i like all styles, RHS, LHS and Double puka soundhole.

It's most enlightening to read other people's experience/opinions. The LHS vs RHS soundhole is a question I've pondered a few times as well. The LHS soundhole seems to make more sense to me as my fingers wouldn't get tangled when I'm playing and it would still allow scope for a cutaway. I look forward to the day when I have the time to experiment with all these ideas.
Miguel

When I'm setting the neck angle, and trying to make sure that the centre line of the neck runs in line with the dovetail, soundhole, and the butt seam....I sometimes wish that the soundhole was way off centre like that:).....Life would be easier;)

Chuck mentioned building with no sound hole at all...there is a local builder (Portland, OR), Mark Roberts, who often builds with no sound hole on the top - just side. His work is beautiful; I've had the opportunity to play with a couple of his at a show and they really are fantastic. I follow his stuff on Facebook - I think Beau might as well.

In ukulele building there are a few scant rules that should be followed. But there are many more traditions and myths that never seem to be challenged by many. Once you have an understanding of the functions of the sound chamber, the sound hole, what the function of bracing is, etc, then you can confidently mess around with things. Otherwise you're just chasing rabbits. Don't blindly follow without understanding.
Next week's question: Do you really need a bridge patch?
I'm just saying...........

In terms of tone I doubt much of a difference in which side of the fretboard the sound hole is on, assuming all else is equal. No difference in effective vibrating area, little difference in tone. However I will not play a uke with a sound hole on the treble side of the fretboard for the reason Chuck suggested; being as I play with classical nails, I tear up the edges of the sound hole in one sitting.

Chuck mentioned building with no sound hole at all...there is a local builder (Portland, OR), Mark Roberts, who often builds with no sound hole on the top - just side.
https://www.roberts-guitars.com/design-matters is an interesting read. I'm intrigued to know whether a conventional front-face sound hole has any active function on the wood around it, accepting that it's not in the primary resonating area.

Jim - does... it have... a 'ole?
JZ Hole.jpg

JZ back.jpg

It has a sound port and a pickup if I want to perfrom with it, but, surprisingly, it sounds great acoustically.
It was made by Joe Zier - Joe Zier's Facebook Page
It's Madagascar rosewood sides back and board, curly koa binding, mahogany/maple neck with lattice bracing on the cedar soundboard.

Top Bottom