Flying V Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score
13 - 1 (2).jpg

I built this tenor uke for my younger brother. All of the wood is walnut except for the rosewood fretboard and bridge. An ebony knob controls the volume to the endpin jack. The pickup is a undersaddle piezo rod.

This is a blast to play. :)

Demo time:

I've been sketching up something very similar for my first uke build. Not having to worry about bending sides the first time around was very appealing!

Did you do any bracing on the back or soundboard?

.... I once came within a mm of buying one of the Mahalo brand flying Vs but saved myself by trying to play it.

Do they make the Sponge Bob ones? Because the one I picked up in a local shop was unplayable. Sigh... some kid will think that's what Ukuleles sound like and be put off them for years :( - And I speak from experience. My first Uke was a cheap Chinese one in the 1970s that was so bad that I never picked up a Uke again till the Noughties!!!

Cool I had kind of thought there was something about the shape that trapped the sound but I can see a plank of wood or two and a couple of cans of red silver and black spray paint in my garage crying out for rock and roll.

Top Bottom