Custom Fretboards, do you play them?

VinnyQH

Reaction score
For anyone that has a custom fretboard, do you play on that uke mostly, or do you play on a different use as to not "scratch" or wear down the design? I've been playing mine and with the black it's starting to show a little bit of scratching so I'm wondering if I should switch back to my pineapple sunday.

Obligatory pic of my fretboard:20130903_214111.jpg

You had the uke made to play it... I would play it. Contact the inlay artist about your concerns. What good is an un-played uke?

wow where does that Karadoo uke come from...I have seen that inlay on some very expensive ukes...
and exactly what is wearing off from the fretboard...

Last edited:
wow where does that Corrado uke come from...I have seen that inlay on some very expensive ukes...
and exactly what is wearing off from the fretboard...

My inlay is up past my skill level:). No chance of harming it. I wouldn't think regular playing would cause damage to the inlay though.

I would keep playing it. Really lovely uke!

–Lori

very interesting...as the UU just had a Taiwan Co. use someone elses inlay and called it their own..
seems to me this Koa inlay was done by Larry Robinson a few times now...

did Karadoo say they designed the inlay just for you?

very interesting...as the UU just had a Taiwan Co. use someone elses inlay and called it their own..
seems to me this Koa inlay was done by Larry Robinson a few times now...

did Karadoo say they designed the inlay just for you?

Is that where I've seen this before? I knew it looked very familiar.

It's jsut a koi inlay, they said they designed it themselves... and with further inspection of Larry Robinson's work, his are much more intricate this what I have on mine. Please provide references before making accusations.

It's jsut a koi inlay, they said they designed it themselves... and with further inspection of Larry Robinson's work, his are much more intricate this what I have on mine. Please provide references before making accusations.

No offense meant here VinnyQH. Just thought it looked familiar . . . and beautiful. I like it! Who did the inlay work on yours?

No offense meant here VinnyQH. Just thought it looked familiar . . . and beautiful. I like it! Who did the inlay work on yours?

None taken, I just re read what I typed, does sound a little harsh. I should have just said if I could see some of his work that looks like mine that would be good.

Sorry..not accusing you of stealing the inlay...but we just went through a long drawn out process with another company that stole someone's artwork...one of the more talked about/debated threads on the UU..
If you want to read the threads search Ayers/Uluru

and the UU is a large family that watches out for each other...as Larry Robinson not a UU member....no harm no foul I guess...

None taken, I just re read what I typed, does sound a little harsh. I should have just said if I could see some of his work that looks like mine that would be good.

but . . but. . . who did the work?

Did you buy it that way or request a koi inlay? I was going to have my initials inlayed on my fretboard and then I found out Larry Robinson was doing the work, so I switched it up and had him do my family crest instead. I thought about koi, but I really wanted something I could hand down to my son someday and that he could use too.

Top Bottom