In case you were wondering

I pronounce it you-kah-lay-lee. I'm not a resident or native of Hawaii so I'd feel like an idiot and couldn't pull off pronouncing it oo-koo-lay-lay. The latter pronunciation is just not in me but as for others, YMMV.

Last edited:
Yes, I use it interchangeably with "ookulele". Depends who you're talking with. You say "ook" to people that aren't within our tight little circle of ukedom and they look at you like you're crazy unless to amend your statement with "youkulele". It doesn't really matter as long as you play the thing!

OF COURSE I DON'T SAY IT LIKE THAT!!! My deep Southern accent adds several syllables. :nana:

Let's just keep that with Turmeric, mascarpone, and a whole host of things that many people choose to pronounce creatively.

I say in the Hawaii's way "oo-koo-le-le" at all time. I tell everyone the word in Hawaii means "jumping flea". I feel they should know the background of what they see and play. Instead of a meaningless name.:)

I've gotten used to pronouncing it as 'ookulele'. Though, I sometimes mumble when I'm talking so either way, they wouldn't know what I'm saying.

really, it depends on who I am speaking with. I tend to pick up on the speech patterns of those around me, and some stay, some don't.

But I'm with Chuck - Just play the thing!

You say poTAY toe, I say poTAH toe,
You say to MAY toe, I say to MAH toe.
To May to, to mah toe, po tay toe, po tah toe...
Let's call the whole thing off!

-Kurt​

You say poTAY toe, I say poTAH toe,
You say to MAY toe, I say to MAH toe.
To May to, to mah toe, po tay toe, po tah toe...
Let's call the whole thing off!

-Kurt​
Like that!! :D

Actually I say "Oo-koo-le-le", people around me say "Yukulili". I don't see them crazy, they don't hear the different.

Last edited:
Yes, I use it interchangeably with "ookulele". Depends who you're talking with. You say "ook" to people that aren't within our tight little circle of ukedom and they look at you like you're crazy unless to amend your statement with "youkulele". It doesn't really matter as long as you play the thing!

Could not have said it better.

Scooter

Yes, this.

Top Bottom