Hot Rod Steel Resonator Ukes?

BigMamaJ40

Reaction score
I just received Del Ray's instructional DVD "Blue Uke". The songs are a bit over my head right now, but her chrome resonator uke with MOT headstock and fretboard is the bomb!

Now, I can't afford the same uke Del plays, but I did find a less-costly alternative: Hot Rod Steel ukes on eBay. They look like modified Recording King concert resonator ukes. Any opinions on/experience with Hot Rod Steel?

Also, any general opinions on metal resonator ukes vs. wooden resonator ukes?

Vintage Nationals sell them. They know there stuff and do great set ups. Never played one, but have talked to Lenny about guitars a few times. Great guy and knows all there is to know about resonators. If you were interested, I'd give him a call and ask any questions. Also see if he will cut a deal.
http://www.nationalguitar.com/hot-rod-steel/Ukulele-RAT-ROD

I have a National Triolian and love it. Fun instrument that plays like a dream.
I also have Del Ray's DVD and it is excellent. I play Run and Tell Your Daddy every night.

Last edited:
I covet a Vintage National maple concert

I spoke with Del a couple months ago and her advice concerning resonators was to "get a good one"
Those Hot Rods don't impress me in the videos.

Mya Moe makes their resonators with solid woods, and National uses plywood laminates. Both around the same price. (MM uses national resonator cones.)

Been thinking about one myself

Last edited:
Top Bottom