Finally taking the plunge

Ukejenny

Reaction score
...into finger picking. Ken Middleton's tabs (www.kenmiddleton.com) have been my inspiration. I'm going to start learning some patterns and have picked out a couple of Ken's easier arrangements. It is literally all thumbs right now, but I'm having fun.

Good luck with your studies! It took me three different instruments to start getting finger picking down, but its a worthwhile playing method to nail and a lot of fun once you start gaining some speed.

...into finger picking. Ken Middleton's tabs (www.kenmiddleton.com) have been my inspiration. I'm going to start learning some patterns and have picked out a couple of Ken's easier arrangements. It is literally all thumbs right now, but I'm having fun.

One of my favorite arrangements by Ken Middleton is "Over the Waterfall". I was so happy when I finally got it down - it took me longer than I thought it would but it was great when I finally got it. Good luck and have fun!

OH HAVE FUN!!!! Ken's work is amazing!!
Fingerpicking tunes is what I most enjoy about the ukulele (cause I can't sing!!!!). I am going to pass along some things that have helped me:
1. Strive to practice slowly and accurately. Speed will come... Even Jake says this!
2. My 'go -to' finger picking book is " Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele' by Mark Kailana Nelson. There is a range of difficulty that has kept me interested for three years. The book also comes with a CD of the songs which is tremendously helpful. See point #3
3. I bought an app called 'Anytune Pro'. It allows me to play any song in my music library at any speed without changing the pitch. You can slow a song down to 20% if you like and still play along. This was a big help in improving my timing.
4. The second app I bought is a metronome 'Frozen Ape'. Craig Brandau suggested this and I really didn't see why until I got it -It is like playing with a perfectionist band - there is no room for error!!! Again, you can set the temp to really really slow when you start to play a song and speed up as you become more proficient.
5. When I pick a song to learn, in addition to looking at the TAB I make a chord diagram under the notes. This helps with learning my hand positions and helps me 'see' smoother hand transitions.
6. John King's Classical Uke book is also marvelous and something I think I will learn from for years. He makes a lot of notations about finger positions for each song that are very helpful and taught me some discipline about fingering.
7. Finally, I would recommend Pekelo's Hawaiian Ukulele Method Books 1 and 2. It is a very well organized self- teaching ste-by-step music course that combines fingerpicking with learning music theory, has CDs to play along with. For me it was great as I had no music background when I started playing ukulele. He sells it off his website.
Good luck on your fingerpicking path!!!
ME

OH HAVE FUN!!!! Ken's work is amazing!!
Fingerpicking tunes is what I most enjoy about the ukulele (cause I can't sing!!!!). I am going to pass along some things that have helped me:
1. Strive to practice slowly and accurately. Speed will come... Even Jake says this!
2. My 'go -to' finger picking book is " Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele' by Mark Kailana Nelson. There is a range of difficulty that has kept me interested for three years. The book also comes with a CD of the songs which is tremendously helpful. See point #3
3. I bought an app called 'Anytune Pro'. It allows me to play any song in my music library at any speed without changing the pitch. You can slow a song down to 20% if you like and still play along. This was a big help in improving my timing.
4. The second app I bought is a metronome 'Frozen Ape'. Craig Brandau suggested this and I really didn't see why until I got it -It is like playing with a perfectionist band - there is no room for error!!! Again, you can set the temp to really really slow when you start to play a song and speed up as you become more proficient.
5. When I pick a song to learn, in addition to looking at the TAB I make a chord diagram under the notes. This helps with learning my hand positions and helps me 'see' smoother hand transitions.
6. John King's Classical Uke book is also marvelous and something I think I will learn from for years. He makes a lot of notations about finger positions for each song that are very helpful and taught me some discipline about fingering.
7. Finally, I would recommend Pekelo's Hawaiian Ukulele Method Books 1 and 2. It is a very well organized self- teaching ste-by-step music course that combines fingerpicking with learning music theory, has CDs to play along with. For me it was great as I had no music background when I started playing ukulele. He sells it off his website.
Good luck on your fingerpicking path!!!
ME

I agree. Also remember that you may sometimes find the finger positions a bit strange and uncomfortable, just try to find what is comfortable and works for you, there is no wrong way to do it. Its like trying to play some chords on the ukulele when your fingers just don't want to cooperate. lol

I do this too and just wanted to emphasize how much it helps when learning a piece. Takes some extra time, but is really worth it.

Ukejenny, you are not alone. I just took the leap into finger picking too. My hands are cramped from too much practicing and my fingers hurt but I am enjoying it. Dogstayplay's info is very helpful. I'm definitely gonna check those resources out. I just started with trying to fingerpick a simple 12 bars blues prog w/ turnaround riff..fun, fun, fun, and I don't get tired of practicing it. It's like practicing the stairway to h. riff, just one of those things you gotta do.

Top Bottom