Online class vs. Live class with a guitarist - your thoughts?

revdj

Reaction score
I have been teaching myself for three months, and had one lesson when I was traveling, from a Uke player. In my town, and larger area, there is no ukulele player giving lessons. The local music stores do give lessons, but the teachers are clearly guitarists (from their resumes). The other alternative - on cruising around the internet there are companies that do online lessons, via skype and so forth.

I learned QUITE a lot with youtube videos! And thank you to all the people on this forum who make them! But I'm at the point now where I am having some difficulties and would like a teacher, and am also afraid that I may be developing bad habits.

What do you think is best among those two options?

If there is absolutely no way to get one on one with a good teacher, then online seems like a viable option. If I had a choice, though, I would prefer to be face to face. Looking outside the box to continue growing as a musician is worth it.

It depends if the live non-'ukulele teacher is knowledgeable in teaching MUSIC. A lot of guys can only (and are only willing to) teach you an instrument (which is a shame). That's not going to be very useful if said person is a guitarist and you want to learn uke. If you are a beginner it might be really good to learn just how to play your instrument for now and you need to find an 'ukulele instructor. But if the music store guitarist is a good musician with an open mind he might teach you more than an 'ukulele instructor. In general, I'd say there are probably more great guitarists teaching in music stores around the world than 'ukulele players. But there are also more hack players too... I would talk to the teacher about your predicament and see what kind of vibe you get. It's worth a shot. You should be able to tell if he's against it or doesn't know what he's talking about fairly quickly.

Top Bottom