Ever played a Martin 1T IZ Tenor?

cigarfan

Reaction score
Thinking about getting one. I love IZ's music. And Martin has a pretty good rep.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any first hand opinions on playability and tone.

from what i understand the IZ model is a 1T with some bling and quilted mahogany. a 2T is cheaper and possibly better made. if you collect ukes then it might be worthwhile. i'll admit i did think about it for awhile since i liked IZ and wanted a martin tenor, but, for me anyway, i'll get the 2TK.

After a lot of hype, I've never heard of a UU member getting one. Let's see. (Maybe Aaron, pedalfreak?)

Thanks for the replies.

Still contemplating. I am a bit of a collector and I had it in mind to try a Martin uke. We'll see. I'll let you all know if I get one.

Thinking about getting one. I love IZ's music. And Martin has a pretty good rep.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any first hand opinions on playability and tone.

Get one! What are you waiting for? Not sure how many will be made, but once they're gone, they will only appreciate!

Unfortunately I have not played one of these, also do not play tenors. I have a couple of goals set for the next couple of years & not enough money to hit the targets :) but for what it's worth if I somehow get ahead I would like to get one of these IZ ukuleles. Go with your hearts desire, hope that helps.

I appreciate all the advice.

I can see where getting a vintage Martin may have it's advantage and I am not saying I won't pick one up in the future but I do think UkerDan is right, the IZ won't be produced much longer and it will, in it's own right, become a rarity. Besides that, I really like how they sound today.

I ordered one today. Should have it in a couple weeks.

martin-1t-iz-headstock.png

I played one of the prototypes at the factory and I have a special fund set aside (growing slower than I'd like) to get one. It's a great Uke honoring a great musician and I can't wait to add one to my arsenal.

Scooter

Nice, congrats! seeing the headstock up close again is killing me! How many places have them in stock if it's ok to ask?

Nice, congrats! seeing the headstock up close again is killing me! How many places have them in stock if it's ok to ask?

5+ stores checked and all had them on order. Sweetwater had 2 coming in next week so I opted for that. All within $50 of one another. Couldn't find any for sale used.

Wondering if you've gotten your Iz yet? I'm curious about them too. All the sites I've checked say they are on order, none in stock.

Wondering if you've gotten your Iz yet? I'm curious about them too. All the sites I've checked say they are on order, none in stock.

No, haven't received it yet. I did get a call from Sweetwater saying they may have jumped the gun on the schedule. Seems Martin is now quoting Dec for delivery. I'm disappointed. :(

No, haven't received it yet. I did get a call from Sweetwater saying they may have jumped the gun on the schedule. Seems Martin is now quoting Dec for delivery. I'm disappointed. :(

That is disappointing. Hope the wait goes by quickly!

musicians friend says their IZ's will be in sept 30, guitar center also (peas in a pod). i think if they come in for one place they will all get some so maybe the wait won't be so long.

That is disappointing. Hope the wait goes by quickly!

Thanks. I decided to drown my sorrows in a Kamaka HF-4 (baritone) acquired from HMS. Have been thinking about a baritone for some time. It will keep me occupied until the IZ arrives.

musicians friend says their IZ's will be in sept 30, guitar center also (peas in a pod). i think if they come in for one place they will all get some so maybe the wait won't be so long.

I hope you are right about that. Maybe I'll give Sweetwater another call for an update.

Sorry to hear that... Very disappointing. I've seen the estimated 9/30 arrival date for the Iz on a couple of sites too.....seems like the date keeps getting pushed back. Initially, they were supposed to be available at the end of April.

Enjoy your kamaka baritone in the meantime!

I suggest vintage Martin. Same price as Iz model new Martin, but with plenty of upside appreciation potential within your lifetime.
Agreed! Love my Vintage Tenor! although it is much harder to find a good one.

Top Bottom