Fretboard Inlays

Linho

Reaction score
Edit: See 1st post on 3rd page please. :D

Hey there,

I'm planning about the specifications for a custom ukulele. Overall I'm not the "bling" type, but I'm thinking about a way to make it really "mine". :)

Probably the best way therefore is an inlay of my name on the fretboard, but I can't imagine a way that looks good.

Maybe you have any ideas or pictures about "non bling" custom fretboard inlays? I like Aldrine's sketch on his Kanile'a btw! :cool:

Thanks for any inspiration! ;)

Cheers,
Linho

Last edited:
What tools and methods to do similar inlays on the fretboard?

I was going to have my initials inlaid in the fretboard ala Jake, but I switched to my mon (Japanese family crest) instead. Here's a link to the work: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...781672.-2207520000.1378486330.&type=3&theater

Gary, your's is one of my favorites because it represents your family and heritage. Even if it's passed on to your children or other family member, it will represent them too. Initials typically represent just you unless there is someone else with GY. I'm the only DL in my family so it wouldn't work.

Look at inlaystickers.com for some ideas.

Gary, your's is one of my favorites because it represents your family and heritage. Even if it's passed on to your children or other family member, it will represent them too. Initials typically represent just you unless there is someone else with GY. I'm the only DL in my family so it wouldn't work.

That's why I changed it.

Plus I thought it would be stupid to have LARRY ROBINSON inlay just initials.:)

That's why I changed it.

Plus I thought it would be stupid to have LARRY ROBINSON inlay just initials.:)

I love ur idea! Actually, I am facing the similar problem too as I am ordering a kamaka special now...
At first, I don't have an idea to add an inlay...but after I confirm most of the details...
I doubt myself why don't add sth on this uke to make it unique and represent to me!

I will not use my initial also, maybe add a small symbol or logo on it now....still thinking about this

One thing with your name on the fretboard or elsewhere, it will be hard to sell if you want to ....personalized ukes are a hard sell.

Sell?

Why would I ever do that?

Haha...I don't know what that word(sell) means too....

I hope your son feels the same way you do when you pass it down to him...
he's got a good dad..who is showing him what life/family is about...right?

Last edited:
One thing with your name on the fretboard or elsewhere, it will be hard to sell if you want to ....personalized ukes are a hard sell.

I learned my lesson haha
but if i could get a custom from Chuck...i'll have him inlay my logo on the MB coz i'm pretty sure i'll never sell it.

Last edited:
it would be hard to sell but from my point of view... when you let someone make you a custom ukulele... use it and never sell it... bond with it just like jake and his uke.. but if you really need money you can try selling it and hope that someone has the same name as yours...

I'll sell an organ first! :p

I learned my lesson haha
but if i could get a custom from Chuck...i'll have him inlay my logo on the MB coz i'm pretty sure i'll never sell it.

I hope you get a MBU...with your talent I bet you and Chuck can design a beautiful inlay...I would love to see it...

Thanks for your answers.

Unfortunately I don't have a "mon" or an emblem. :rolleyes:

Jake's JS and Tristan's TC look great. My Initials are BB, I don't know how to make them look good? :(
Hhhmm, could arrange the BB like the KK in the KoAloha-Logo, but it won't be a KoAloha. :p

Hhhmmmm!

Thanks for your answers.

Unfortunately I don't have a "mon" or an emblem. :rolleyes:

Jake's JS and Tristan's TC look great. My Initials are BB, I don't know how to make them look good? :(
Hhhmm, could arrange the BB like the KK in the KoAloha-Logo, but it won't be a KoAloha. :p

Hhhmmmm!

I like Capital B with the stem connected to each other and then it looks like a butterfly.

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know I chose my nick name "Linho" as Inlay rather than my initials "BB". I designed an inlay of the letters in shape of my zodiacal sign, lion. Since I'm very happy with this, I think this will be my custom inlay; about 3,5 x 3,5 cm. :cool:

Right know I'm still thinking about the position -- fret 12-15, or on the overlapping part, fret 15-20? And I'm not sure how it looks if it's separated by the frets, maybe I should position it on fret 15-20 but without fretting this upper end? :confused:

What do you think? :)

Cheers,
Linho

Yes, a name is very individual. But that doesn't have to be bad. I identify with my nickname way more than with my initials.

I did a lot of tries to get a nice "BB" composition, and I realized, I don't want a simple "BB" written (like Kalai has a KG on his Kamaka).
That's the best I drawed so far:
78r58j5j.png

Not satisfying for me.

So I went from "BB" to "Linho". But I don't really like a whole name on the fretboard, too, like e.g. Brittni did on her ukulele. That's why i'm about to design an "emblem" with a lion head consisting of the letters of my nickname. Not obvious at the first look like a normal written name, but very individual for a very special custom instrument...

Top Bottom