To de-tune or not de-tune...that is the question.

bassballz

Reaction score
Having an array of ukes to play, from new to vintage, is it advisable to detune them when not in use?
I'm not speaking of day to day, but as I rotate through them, I may have one that sits a several months in a case or hanging on the wall before I pick it up. My concern especially lies with the older ones and the possibility of bridge glues letting go over time.
My temps/humidity remain fairly constant here in coastal So California since it's part of the equation.
I have numerous guitars and basses as well and they can remain tuned without concern, but I'm not clear on the best thing for my ukes.
Any thoughts?

With newer ones you don't have to really worry but if you know you're not playing it for a while I'd tune it down one step. My old Martin I have no strings on it because its not really in playing condition and I'm worried about the bridge. So if you know you're not going to play your older ones for a long time id just take the strings off but if its only for a couple months I'd just tune it down a step too

Thanks BIGDB. I figured it might be a good idea just on the precautionary side.
To piggyback on my initial question though...does loosening-tightening-loosening etc. affect the strings' lifespan or ability to remain in tune?

Mark1 had a uke that bellied in storage, and likely should have been detuned.

No harm in Detuning, right?

Top Bottom