new Makapili tenor has arrived !

Doc_J

Reaction score
It's been a little over 3 months since I asked Thomas if he would build a new Makapili tenor for me. My new Makapili tenor has arrived today, and it is wonderful.

Here’s the specs: Port Orford Cedar top and neck with a Spanish style heel, curly Claro walnut back, sides and headplate, rosewood fretboard and bridge, ebony sapwood markers. 13-frets to the body, 17 overall, black Gotoh UPT tuners.

Although it is not a fancy design, the result is stunning! All the elements work so well together. POC for the top and neck was the perfect visual complement to the beautiful dark curly Claro walnut body. The ebony sapwood looks great on the rosewood finger board. The uke is so light weight. The only 'imperfection' on the uke is nature, in the form of 2 tiny worm holes on the back. I think they look cool, and add character.

It is currently in B tuning and sounds awesome, very loud, very resonant. It has exceptional clarity and note definition, some of the best I have ever heard on a tenor, with very uniform volume and tone quality across the strings. Bass, treble, mid frequencies are all there. Each note sounds like it should. Many tenors have some sound element missing or off in re-entrant tuning, not this uke. And this is the first day, it will only sound better with time!

The fit and finish are smooth as silk. I prefer this thin semi-gloss oil finish to the thick glossy types. You can tell the uke is made of wood with this finish. The action and playability are just right for me.

Here’s a sound sample from day 1 in B tuning.
https://app.box.com/s/2bdtkum3fhiivdy9ovsm

More info on Makapili ukes at http://makapilimusic.com/

And here are some fresh pics of my beauty!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Beautiful uke!

I'm a little confused by B tuning, though. D'you mean D tuning - A D F# B?

Congratulations!

I own two Makapilis ... but I must say I'm quite jelous about this one. It's a real beauty.
Maybe it's time to sell some of my other instruments and order a third Makapili ... :)

Hodge,

A truly distinctive uke! I too like the ebony sapwood markers, never seen anything quite like them in design. It's doubly interesting without any top or bottom binding and no rosette. That's your selection, right?

Does Thomas normally do a 13 fret to body, or was that a choice you made? The grain of the walnut is quite special, I like it a lot.

I assume it is 1 3/8 at nut? The Gotohs in black are perfect; I have heard people rave about them, very accurate.

That is a wonderfully full sound. Congratulations on one excellent uke.

Beautiful...

Hodge,

A truly distinctive uke! I too like the ebony sapwood markers, never seen anything quite like them in design. It's doubly interesting without any top or bottom binding and no rosette. That's your selection, right?

Does Thomas normally do a 13 fret to body, or was that a choice you made? The grain of the walnut is quite special, I like it a lot.

I assume it is 1 3/8 at nut? The Gotohs in black are perfect; I have heard people rave about them, very accurate.

That is a wonderfully full sound. Congratulations on one excellent uke.

Thanks, Craig. Yes, it is a 1-3/8 nut. Thomas doesn't offer binding and rosettes. But, the simplicity and clean lines really are beautiful without the extra adornment. The wood stripe markers are now options on the Makapili ukes. I think they are a "must have" on the Makapili ukes. I believe that they were on all his older ukes (at least on the one I had). I wanted to try Gotoh UPTs, so Thomas used them.

12-fret and 14-fret necks are typical on Makapili ukes. 13 frets on the neck was what Thomas and I agreed was a good compromise. With a 12-fret neck the bridge is closer to the sweet spot on the lower bout. Most folks prefer 14 frets above the neck, with slightly less optimal sound. Collings also uses 13-frets on the neck, so I figure I was in good company.

This Claro was an upgraded wood set, I don't know if "master grade" is the correct term, but I can't imagine a prettier Claro set.

Great sounding uke Hodge!! It has the nice warm tone you would expect from POC & Walnut. I like the UPT as it's light and keeps the uke nicely balanced.

Man, that's one beautiful uke. Great aesthetic, and great tone, too.

Congrats.

Wow Hodge,
It looks great and I heard all good things about them....We hope to hear a sound byte and video of it soon...congrats and happy strummings..

Wow Hodge,
It looks great but I never about them....We hope to hear a sound byte and video of it soon...my mya moe has a wicked similar walnut back...congrats and happy strummings..

851Back.jpg

That's a beauty, Hodge! I love the no-frills-look. Just beautiful materials used in a beautiful way. Congrats!

Very nice looking and sounding uke Hodge. I am a big fan of the Claro Walnut as well. How's that PO cedar smell? Aromatic and sweet?

You continue to amass an amazing collection of tenors.

Very nice looking and sounding uke Hodge. I am a big fan of the Claro Walnut as well. How's that PO cedar smell? Aromatic and sweet?

You continue to amass an amazing collection of tenors.

Thanks, Dana.

BTW You've got an awesome group of tenors!

With the side port I get the that nice PO cedar smell while I play. Another plus for side ports. :)

Hi Doc,

Beautiful instrument! The most stunning use of walnut I think I have ever seen !! Thanks for posting all the great pics -

Was just up to see Thomas today, and checked out the parlor guitars he did. Also very nice-

Ed G

Top Bottom