I'll never buy another vintage banjo uke

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
That's a good lesson. Unless you know what to look for, don't buy it or pay the premium and get it from a reputable retail store.

I'd love to have a vintage banjo uke and have seen some great deals on ones that have already been refurbished. Think I'll wait on one of them.

Also, just in case anyone's looking for a good dealer of vintage ones, check out Jake at Antebellum Instruments:
http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com
He does all that complicated setup work for you. He's in Vermont.

Unless you know what you're doing..it may cost even more than a luthier to do it...as you now learned...it's a costly lesson...maybe next time do your homework and check on
You tube video how it should be done....or ask here..

One of several reasons I dislike banjo ukes. Thx for sharing your misery, Cap. Sorry it turned out that way. What A bad SCORE... and happy strummings

I gave my two vintage banjo ukes away. I prefer modern ones - I have a Goldtone baritone which is nice (I would have made it a 10" pot if I were the manufacturer, but wotthehell).

Once the vellum cures, you can take it off and readjust and rotate the head as needed. It'll still hold its shape. I've put new calfskin hides on 3 vintage banjo uke now. I usually take the banjo fully apart, so I'm just working with the pot. That way I can get all around it and get a good even pull on the excess.

Ha-ha, real tinker-toys, aren't they! Are you happy with it now? My first banjo-uke (I only have vintage and would not buy new....) was a real beauty but needed lots of fiddling to get it playable. (Slingerland bird's eye maple...)

Sounds like it worked out right in the end and that's what matters.

Put the rest down to experience, a valuable commodity that does not come easily.

Glad you finally slayed the beast. Perseverance pays off, and putting it down for a few days keeps you from throwing the whole thing in the river.

Top Bottom