PDA

View Full Version : I'll never buy another vintage banjo uke

Captain Simian
09-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Post Deleted

Dan Uke
09-07-2013, 01:45 PM
That's a good lesson. Unless you know what to look for, don't buy it or pay the premium and get it from a reputable retail store.

PhilUSAFRet
09-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I'd love to have a vintage banjo uke and have seen some great deals on ones that have already been refurbished. Think I'll wait on one of them.

igorthebarbarian
09-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Also, just in case anyone's looking for a good dealer of vintage ones, check out Jake at Antebellum Instruments:
http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com
He does all that complicated setup work for you. He's in Vermont.

mm stan
09-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Unless you know what you're doing..it may cost even more than a luthier to do it...as you now learned...it's a costly lesson...maybe next time do your homework and check on
You tube video how it should be done....or ask here..

coolkayaker1
09-07-2013, 09:50 PM
One of several reasons I dislike banjo ukes. Thx for sharing your misery, Cap. Sorry it turned out that way. What A bad SCORE... and happy strummings

ichadwick
09-08-2013, 02:30 AM
I gave my two vintage banjo ukes away. I prefer modern ones - I have a Goldtone baritone which is nice (I would have made it a 10" pot if I were the manufacturer, but wotthehell).

johnfipps
09-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Once the vellum cures, you can take it off and readjust and rotate the head as needed. It'll still hold its shape. I've put new calfskin hides on 3 vintage banjo uke now. I usually take the banjo fully apart, so I'm just working with the pot. That way I can get all around it and get a good even pull on the excess.

barefootgypsy
09-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Ha-ha, real tinker-toys, aren't they! Are you happy with it now? My first banjo-uke (I only have vintage and would not buy new....) was a real beauty but needed lots of fiddling to get it playable. (Slingerland bird's eye maple...)

Tootler
09-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Sounds like it worked out right in the end and that's what matters.

Put the rest down to experience, a valuable commodity that does not come easily.

hoosierhiver
09-11-2013, 01:37 PM
The trick with vintage banjo-ukes is to buy them by the dozen, then you have enough good parts for one good one.

Ukejenny
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Glad you finally slayed the beast. Perseverance pays off, and putting it down for a few days keeps you from throwing the whole thing in the river.