PDA

View Full Version : NUD - David Newton Dreadnought ukulele

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I just had to share a few photo's from a very special ukulele I received this week. It has been 5 months in the making, and David has done an outstanding job. This is a brand new "vintage" mahogany Style 3 soprano dreadnought ukulele :)

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Following are some more close up details of the appointments
(Yes the ladybug likes them too)

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 03:00 PM
David applied a beautiful french polish finish to wonderful mahogany

Newportlocal
09-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Congratulations in your new uke day! It's a beauty. May you have many days of happy strumming together.

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I requested wood friction tuning pegs on this uke, and I just noticed today that David marked them on the buttons after he must have seated them. Great detailed work!

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Congratulations in your new uke day! It's a beauty. May you have many days of happy strumming together.

Thank you greatly

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Here is a picture with my other vintage dreadnought ukes, and another photo with the style 3's together

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
David put his brand on the back of the headstock, in the soudhole, and on the neck block along with a date. I could not be more proud. This ukulele is light as a feather, and extremely responsive. It has lot's of volume even when strummed very lightly. Thanks David for building this wonderful instrument for me!

rem50
09-08-2013, 03:14 PM
very nice! Really like the collection too!

Newportlocal
09-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Here is a picture with my other vintage dreadnought ukes, and another photo with the style 3's together

Nice collection of ukes. The extra details on your new one are nice too.

lakesideglenn
09-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Looks great...how about a video so we can see and hear it?

coolkayaker1
09-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Rick...wow! Just wow! David...wow! Just wow!

(He faints on the davenport in the parlor under a bamboo ceiling fan).

PhilUSAFRet
09-08-2013, 11:05 PM
That's a beauty. That looks like a nice, wide neck too.

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Looks great...how about a video so we can see and hear it?

Thank you. I will be making one soon.

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Rick...wow! Just wow! David...wow! Just wow!

(He faints on the davenport in the parlor under a bamboo ceiling fan).

Heehee :), it is a beauty!

rpfrogner
09-08-2013, 11:46 PM
That's a beauty. That looks like a nice, wide neck too.

Yes, it is 1.5" at the nut and it very comfortable.

mm stan
09-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Contrats...beautiful uke...I am an owner of one of his too...,and they are light and responsive...clear and on the bright scale tone I love...great price from a great luthier..
welcome to the family...:)

dkcrown
09-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Congrats on a real beauty. I love a good moustache.

Ukejenny
09-09-2013, 03:21 AM
Well, okay, I am in love. That is a beautiful uke and I can't wait to hear a sound sample. I think I know where my money is going to go once I save enough for a custom soprano. The dreadnought is downright sexy and I love the appointments you chose. Elegant and beautiful.

jwieties
09-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Man that is a cool uke. I bet Dave was thrilled that you wanted wood pegs. I know he loves them.

coolkayaker1
09-09-2013, 05:04 AM
The uke is amazing, Rick. No question about that. A real testament to David's meticulous attention to detail can even be seen in the case, which he has artistically and eloquently distressed, just like a vintage Martin case. Who would even think of this. Amazing work all around.

rpfrogner
09-09-2013, 04:35 PM
The uke is amazing, Rick. No question about that. A real testament to David's meticulous attention to detail can even be seen in the case, which he has artistically and eloquently distressed, just like a vintage Martin case. Who would even think of this. Amazing work all around.

Heehee.......he is good! Wish he could do the vintage case as I would get a few more done :)

coolkayaker1
09-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Heehee.......he is good! Wish he could do the vintage case as I would get a few more done :)

LOL:D:rolleyes::cool:

rpfrogner
09-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Man that is a cool uke. I bet Dave was thrilled that you wanted wood pegs. I know he loves them.

There was some correspondence about possibly using the new Waverly pegs as well (great look), but along with David I really am a wood friction peg fan. I really like the balance of a uke with wooden pegs better....to me they are less top heavy.

rpfrogner
09-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Contrats...beautiful uke...I am an owner of one of his too...,and they are light and responsive...clear and on the bright scale tone I love...great price from a great luthier..
welcome to the family...:)
Thank you Stan. My take is the same on this wonderful uke.

coolkayaker1
09-09-2013, 05:15 PM
There was some correspondence about possibly using the new Waverly pegs as well (great look), but along with David I really am a wood friction peg fan. I really like the balance of a uke with wooden pegs better....to me they are less top heavy.

I'll be honest, I'm afraid of wooden friction pegs. I'm wondering if they can really stay in tune with modern, higher tension strings. They're just so--I don;t know--primitive. LOL

PS I bought a Gibson Uke-3 while you were fishing, so I didn't have you as a sounding board. Except for Chris's review video, I had nothing. He's busy for emails so I didn't bug him again. I probably got reamed on that one, too. But, it's hanging on the wall now. lol

mm stan
09-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Thank you Stan. My take is the same on this wonderful uke.

Aloha Rick, can you tell me what materials dave used on the nut and saddle on your uke?

Nickie
09-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow, that's some uke! I love it....now you've gone and made me jealous!

rpfrogner
09-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Aloha Rick, can you tell me what materials dave used on the nut and saddle on your uke?

The saddle is bone, but David also has provided me a second one made of ebony. The nut appears to be a combination of ebony and bone.

rpfrogner
09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
I'll be honest, I'm afraid of wooden friction pegs. I'm wondering if they can really stay in tune with modern, higher tension strings. They're just so--I don;t know--primitive. LOL

PS I bought a Gibson Uke-3 while you were fishing, so I didn't have you as a sounding board. Except for Chris's review video, I had nothing. He's busy for emails so I didn't bug him again. I probably got reamed on that one, too. But, it's hanging on the wall now. lol

I am not certain how they would handle high tension strings, but I really like the look and weight of wood friction pegs. The one to one ratio can be challenging, but with practice is really not a big deal to work with. Of my vintage ukulele's, only 2 have mechanical friction tuners and the rest are wood friction.
I am certain you did well of the Gibson as you have a good eye!

Chris Tarman
09-10-2013, 02:45 PM
That is gorgeous! I love the early Style 3 bling, the shape, and the wood pegs. I've never used them, but would love to have a soprano with them.
Is the koa Style 3 in the pic a Martin or a custom? I don't recall seeing one from that early era with that much figuring!

Chris Tarman
09-10-2013, 02:51 PM

You did what now??? Wow! You're on a spree! I certainly wasn't too busy to answer emails about buying a Gibson! You have it already? How is it? I find that, while mine doesn't sound as good as my Martins, it is my COOLEST ukulele. The other one I played in Denver a few months before I bought mine DID sound as good as my Martins, I think. But it was twice what I paid for mine.
Shoot me an email, Steve!

rpfrogner
09-10-2013, 02:58 PM
That is gorgeous! I love the early Style 3 bling, the shape, and the wood pegs. I've never used them, but would love to have a soprano with them.
Is the koa Style 3 in the pic a Martin or a custom? I don't recall seeing one from that early era with that much figuring!

It is a vintage Martin Style 3 and thank you!

coolkayaker1
09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
I find that, while mine doesn't sound as good as my Martins, it is my COOLEST ukulele.

That is precisely how I find mine--sound is passable, but it is the blingiest thang! It's quieter than the Martins. It's intonation is great--no issues there. I can't tell from the video, but mine is not in as good a condition as yours, Chris. I find it sort of heavier built than the Martins. I think what you said, Chris, in your review is spot on: it's less similar to the Martins than I would have expected.

I shot you that reply email about Pheasant Run a couple weeks ago...the one about each picking a tune for all to practice over the winter, blah blah blah. Reply, no rush, bc I may well be out of town for a couple weeks coming up for travel. Plenty of time, C.:)

I think Rick's dread is drool worthy. It sure is classic in some ways--the Martin 3 style-- and modern in other ways, (the blonde wood, the lusterious gloss polish).

rpfrogner
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
That is precisely how I find mine--sound is passable, but it is the blingiest thang! It's quieter than the Martins. It's intonation is great--no issues there. I can't tell from the video, but mine is not in as good a condition as yours, Chris. I find it sort of heavier built than the Martins. I think what you said, Chris, in your review is spot on: it's less similar to the Martins than I would have expected.

I shot you that reply email about Pheasant Run a couple weeks ago...the one about each picking a tune for all to practice over the winter, blah blah blah. Reply, no rush, bc I may well be out of town for a couple weeks coming up for travel. Plenty of time, C.:)

I think Rick's dread is drool worthy. It sure is classic in some ways--the Martin 3 style-- and modern in other ways, (the blonde wood, the lusterious gloss polish).

I am still drooling myself.......if it does not stop I will dehydrate :)

Chris Tarman
09-10-2013, 06:00 PM

That's it exactly. The Gibson feels great and is much more luxurious than even my Martin Style 3. It definitely came from the same factory (and has similar style) as the really great old Gibson mandolins like the F4. It's just really classy and a joy to play. If only it sang a little more. It does seem to be more heavily built than the Martins.
I did get THAT email, Steve, but I've been busy... BUT, had you mentioned that you were thinking of buying a Uke 3, I'd have dropped everything to reply!
And yes, I agree with all of your proposed ideas for May. It's gonna be so cool!

hmgberg
09-11-2013, 01:32 AM
That's a wonderful ukulele. D-shape with early Style3 appointments... Could be my favorite...so elegant. Many congratulations to you and to David.

rpfrogner
09-11-2013, 02:58 PM
That's a wonderful ukulele. D-shape with early Style3 appointments... Could be my favorite...so elegant. Many congratulations to you and to David.
Thank you very much.