Buying Uke strings in the UK

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I want to buy some strings for my 4 Ukes (the ones in my sig), but I'm not keep on the choices from either SUS or Eagle Music. Any suggestions ?

The only ones that have caught my eye are the Worth strings at SUS, but I'd like to try some Ko'olau Golds or something else that's a "bit different" to all the usual suspects such as D'Addario and Aquilla.

I'd also like to add that Ken Livingstone's website is spooky. Just to get an idea on price, I selected Tenor High G, and it automatically added 2 sets to my cart, exactly what I was going to do!

I want to buy some strings for my 4 Ukes (the ones in my sig), but I'm not keep on the choices from either SUS or Eagle Music. Any suggestions ?

The only ones that have caught my eye are the Worth strings at SUS, but I'd like to try some Ko'olau Golds or something else that's a "bit different" to all the usual suspects such as D'Addario and Aquilla.

What about Ken Middleton's Living Water Strings? Ken is based here in the UK. I really like his strings & I use them on most of my ukes.

Last edited:
Try the French shops. Exquisite.fr sells the KoOlau strings I think.

Living Waters!!

I've got a Low G set on my Tenor (to replace stock Aquilas) and just fitted a re-entrant set to my Les Paul (to replace stock nasty black things) - and to my newbie ear, they're utterly fantastic!

Really nice to play, fixed a bunch of intonation issues with the tenor - and the Les Paul? Well, it's just night and day!

Will be ordering another set of Low G for my other concert ASAP!

:D

Maybe I'll wait until Ken has the Low G's back in stock, I want to put some on my Fender. I think I also need to replace the tuners on my Luna Soprano, the stock ones are stiff as hell, and don't tune too accurately.

Grover 2B are the standard tuners for Flea/Fluke ukuleles and I find them very good. Don't think you'll go too far wrong with them.

I didn't think we were that bad but I put in a UK address for a set of strings...$50!! These guys suck!! Is what I would be thinking. But I messed with all the shipping configurations and the lowest I got was $23. Still ridiculous. So... we don't make much on strings but it's also not the work that ukes are, so I figured 5 or more sets will get you free shipping anywhere. Will take me about a day to implement but here's an example. (if 5 sets is just as ridiculous, sorry, best we can do)
string_order.jpg

Would you be making enough that you wouldn't lose money shipping 5 sets to the UK for free ? I forgot about Aaron's strings, I'd quite like to try some of those too.

Nice of you to care. It may be a bit of a lost leader. I just can't stand crazy shipping quotes. It's just automated stupidity from USPS, but to a customer it borders on disrespectful, in my eyes.

edit- Sorry to derail though. As far as I've seen Southern Ukulele has represented UK pretty well in the last few years. Good array and it's always cool to support locals.

As far as your keys, I would suggest not changing to either. Your vantage would show the open holes in the back of the headstock and tuning will be more challenging.

Last edited:
@Andrew - wow - what a fantastic offer! :D

I've been wanting to get a set of Golds for my soprano and my Aria, so I might just take advantage of that next time I order strings, just to see what a few different sets sound like....

Top Bottom