Should Mi-Si pickup need another preamp ?

Sonic

Reaction score
My ukulele is going to install a mi-si pickup as i see that it's already an active pickup.

Should I still need an external preamp such as K&K pure preamp to amplify the signal with 'Gain' function before it's direct to mixer or speaker ?

Ditto what bunnyf said. MiSi and Roland Street Cube here.

before it's direct to mixer?

Ideally, yes. Before an amp? Beneficial if used well, but not as crucial to having good presence, mainly because of your control over it's preamp volume, gain, eq.

Ideally, yes. Before an amp? Beneficial if used well, but not as crucial to having good presence, mainly because of your control over it's preamp volume, gain, eq.

This.

If your getting the standard MiSi (like I have in my Boat Paddle), it controls the impedance of the signal but it's still just that; a signal. You will want a preamp if you're running direct to mixer for more tonal control. It's not needed if you're running into an amp and then using the direct out, because at that point you're utilizing the preamp of the amplifier.

"Yes and No" I guess.

A Mi-Si's output signal is really strong. You will have no trouble being heard when plugged into an amp or mixer.
The Mi-Si is an active pickup, meaning there is a pre-amp built in (although not one that can adjust tone/volume on its own).

An external pre-amp will give you more options into shaping your tone so it sounds better.

"Yes and No" I guess.

A Mi-Si's output signal is really strong. You will have no trouble being heard when plugged into an amp or mixer.
The Mi-Si is an active pickup, meaning there is a pre-amp built in (although not one that can adjust tone/volume on its own).

An external pre-amp will give you more options into shaping your tone so it sounds better.

Excellent answer.

The Mi-Si has a preamp, albeit one with predetermined and non-adjustable settings. Another preamp is not required. Its preset tone is quite good.

If you are going into a dedicated amplifier, the gain and tone controls on the amp should be all you need.

However, if you prefer having some tone-shaping controls before going into a PA or mixing board, you might look into an outboard preamp.

For excellent tone and low dollars, I recommend the Behringer ADI21. No affiliation, just a good experience with the product. It sounds more expensive than it is, and gives a good natural sounding tone.

Top Bottom