I need help deciding on an Amp for my les paul

iamesperambient

Reaction score
So i was rocking out today with my epi les paul playing though my friends orange crush using various effects. It sounded good but i feel like the balance in tone is slightly 'off' i was looking up uke amps again and found this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

for 65 bucks do you think its worth it? i mean its an amp designed for electric uke playing.....

now the next choice is a little mini honey tone which seems fun but they seem to be designed for guitar...although ive seen many people playing their electric ukes though it. My cap is 70 bucks to spend on this, the wife won't allow anything more than that lol so i need some help choosing here.

Do you want the option of a rock sound from your amp or do you want a clean sound only? That Belcat or any other ukulele amp would be clean sound only. The Orange is a Rock and Roll sound only. It doesn't do clean.

I'd suggest a digital modeling amp such as a Fender Mustang for variety. A Roland street cube/cube for a variety of sounds or a Roland AC-33 for a quality clean sound only.

Anthony

If you are trying to stay under a hundred, you may be happier with one of the Pignose amps. Many good reviews. If not, you'll get many good recommendations here. Some folks have liked these so well that they use them as a pre-amp when they get a bigger one.

http://www.amazon.com/Pignose-7-100-Legendary-portable-amplifier/dp/B0002D0JZ6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4f76ng49wA
Oh heck, here's the rest of them: http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....7j1.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.pXz-P8IuVC8

Last edited:
Keeping it in your price range, there's also the Vox AC1RV. I have no experience with it, but I see that it has a clean or overdrive setting, plus "drum machine" and 1/8" input for an MP3 player (as well as the 1/4" for the uke). It's only 1 watt. But then it's only $59.99. The one set of reviews I found were very positive.

Keeping it in your price range, there's also the Vox AC1RV. I have no experience with it, but I see that it has a clean or overdrive setting, plus "drum machine" and 1/8" input for an MP3 player (as well as the 1/4" for the uke). It's only 1 watt. But then it's only $59.99. The one set of reviews I found were very positive.

I have a Vox AC1Rhythm Bass. It works well both for my U-Bass and for my Risa "stick". With the Risa it has a good clean sound and the drive knob doesn't really do much but if I want an overdrive sound, I use a multi FX pedal which gives much more variety of tones. I don't have much use for the drum machine which I find a bit "tinny" but each to their own. I can imagine others finding it useful and it does have quite a range of patterns and the tempo is adjustable over a wide range. Overall it's good value for money and I am pleased with mine.

If you want more of a rock sound, the Marshall MS2/MS4 are worth a look. Quite a good overdrive sound. I've used the MS2 clipped to my belt in a singaround and it worked well. Plenty of volume for an otherwise acoustic event, in fact I have to work at projecting my voice over it.

I recently purchased an Epiphone Acoustic 15C amp from a guy on Craigslist for 25 bucks! It's pretty good acoustically and also when I turn on the effects on it or when I use an effects pedal. It's pretty hard to locate one though. One good thing about it also is that it has an XLR input for a mic :)

I have a Roland Micro Cube, which works great for a clean acoustic sound (and allows you to mess around with all those electric guitar effects too), and it can be had used (older model) for around your budget. I also would like to sing the praises of the honey tone, however. For a tiny belt-clip amp, it actually puts out a pretty big sound, and even though it's meant for electric guitar, it has a very good clean tone too. And it's really cheap! Buy 2, in different colors!

Can't go wrong with a Roland Cube (of various types) or a Vox with built-in effects.

The "tone" sounding a bit "off" when you plugged your Epiphone Les Paul uke into the amp may not necessarily be the amp's fault.
While it's a great value-for-money uke, it's not the best electric uke in the world either. In fact, it's not really an electric ukulele, but an acoustic-electric, which makes it better suited to playing plugged into an acoustic amp with a natural tone.

It IS lots of fun no matter how you use it though!

I use the Vox Mini3 battery-powered amp. I like the uke either with the line-in setting for a clean sound, or the AC15 modelling for a guitar amp sound, with a little compression and reverb. Hope you can find a used one in your range.

Last edited:
I have a Roland Micro Cube, which works great for a clean acoustic sound (and allows you to mess around with all those electric guitar effects too), and it can be had used (older model) for around your budget. I also would like to sing the praises of the honey tone, however. For a tiny belt-clip amp, it actually puts out a pretty big sound, and even though it's meant for electric guitar, it has a very good clean tone too. And it's really cheap! Buy 2, in different colors!

Yep it is its an electric acoustic and its really only able to sound alright clean.
So im just trying to go for an amp for acoustic uke clean tone for more volume
and save up for a solid body electric.

I think im gonna get the luna suit case or the belcat uke amp. If i decide i want to use
effects what i will do is run my uke into my guitar usb interface open garage band
and plug the uke amp into my mac mini and open a new project under vocal (to avoid
the amp modeling) and than throw on some reverbs or effects that way and it should
work out well for jamming out in my room.

Top Bottom