PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell cock up's



Timbuck
09-11-2013, 04:36 AM
How about this little beauty...Mrs Timbuck spent hours on the finish..and when I put the strings on I discovered that I'd glued the bridge a mile off, it sounded terribly out of tune :mad:.... I must have set my bridge gauge to the 11th fret instead of the 12th :confused:
..Looks like it needs major surgery now...Well i'm only human!!:o
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0004_zps15b42ee9.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/PICT0004_zps15b42ee9.jpg.html)

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
09-11-2013, 04:39 AM
fired!... ;)

Did that ONCE on a guitar about 5 years ago. I think i check about 4 times now before i scribe around the bridge with an exacto

RPA_Ukuleles
09-11-2013, 04:53 AM
No biggie. I say you install a "zero saddle", kind of like a zero fret for the other end. Who says you can't have a floating bridge and a glued bridge at the same time.?

Egads! I think I just fixed the world's intonation problems!



Oh wait... too short. Sorry, you're on your own.

David Newton
09-11-2013, 05:14 AM
Well, I'm not showing my mess-ups.
I don't want to spoil my customers opinion that I'm perfect.

Ukeplayer2013
09-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Beautiful color!!:love:

Laidback1
09-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Finishing up a OM size guitar. Early on in the build, I executed a beautiful end graft of EI Rosewood and some purfling. As I was admiring my work, noticed something wasn't right. Doh, I put the end graft on the neck end of the sides instead of the tail end.....

dofthesea
09-11-2013, 08:30 PM
The bridge may be out of place , but I love the vintage vibe of this one.

Timbuck
09-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Anybody got a match ?:cheers:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0023_zps87e731c9.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/PICT0023_zps87e731c9.jpg.html)

lauburu
09-11-2013, 11:20 PM
"Alas poor 01110913. I knew him well, Horatio, a soprano of indefinite pitch and fancy excellence..."
Apologies to the Bard
Miguel

orangeena
09-12-2013, 12:23 AM
I would have thought with your consistent neck jointing process that you could have rescued at least the neck. Having had a go on one of your lovely instruments only last night at the Reading Ukulele Group, this picture makes me a bit sad. However quality is everything I suppose.
Max

Timbuck
09-12-2013, 02:23 AM
I intended removing the fretboard and then replacing the top...But! while removing the fretboard the neck slipped in the vice and resulted in a nasty gouge mark in the neck..so I did the kindest thing and killed it..the fretboard is ok and can be reused :)

orangeena
09-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Bet it burnt a treat with all that finish on it! A fitting funeral

Kevin Waldron
09-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Ken,

When I get to situations like this I always want to fix things. I'd probably have removed the neck/fret board and built a neck/fret board that made the bridge correct. Anyone else do things like this....... not just here but in life as well?

Blessings,

Kevin

bbycrts
09-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Anybody got a match ?:cheers:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0023_zps87e731c9.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/PICT0023_zps87e731c9.jpg.html)

I hope Mrs. T charges overtime for its replacement.

finkdaddy
09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I promise you, there is not enough open memory on this server to document all of my stupid mistakes.
If I recorded them all on CD's it would turn out like one of those Time-Life 20 disk music compilations!

tattwo
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Nothing like a nice uke fire on summer evening. ;).

LesterPolfus
09-13-2013, 01:00 AM
I made exactly the same mistake a couple of weeks ago, finishing my first build (from a kit), don't know what happened, but the rush to end my first instrument and listen to its first sound made me glue the bridge wrong and I ended up having the octave at the 11th fret. After some hour of desperation I grabbed the steam iron and unglued it. It was easier than what I expected. The glue was Titebond original and the finish FP, so a little sanding, I did again all the FP of the top and then reglue it at its right position. Good ending story for me. :)