Cedar or Spruce top for Strumming?

Kabog

Reaction score
Which one is a good top wood for strumming or all style of playing? Cedar or Spruce? Thanks for any help.

There are so many variables at play. I find Western Red Cedar to be warmer while spruce a little punchier. The spruce might be a little better for fingerpicking or lead lines while the cedar work better for strumming. That's a massive generalisation though..............

Honestly, I think neither are good for strumming.
Mahogany = Strumming
While the other two might be OK...
...mahogany is as close to a sure thing as you'll get.

Honestly, I think neither are good for strumming.
Mahogany = Strumming
While the other two might be OK...
...mahogany is as close to a sure thing as you'll get.

I agree with Paul...
I think Honduran Mahogany the best top for strumming...more consistent...then the soft woods
I like Cedar and Spruce for fingerstyle....but that only me

my 2 cents

I agree with Paul...
I think Honduran Mahogany the best top for strumming...more consistent...then the soft woods

my 2 cents

Yes. The soft wood tend to be too loud for strumming. Harder wood like mahogany is more mellow.

I agree with Paul...

my 2 cents

Get some of this and you won't be sorry either way. Curly Honduran Mahogany. Incredibly rich, lots of lows and mids, great for strumming but also great for finger style. If you want to go with a brighter sound, you can always change strings as well. I picked this out from Peter Hurney's (Pohaku) stash a few years ago. One of my best sounding ukes (in the top 3).

Rosette_3688_1.jpgIMG_3702_1.jpgIMG_3701_1.jpg

I do have to say my Western Red Cedar top is in my top 3 as well,...a bit snapier than the Mahogany but not by a ton. Still has a nice warm sound to it.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom