Old silvertone soprano brought back from the dead

dismount

Reaction score
old silvertone soprano brought back from the dead (with pics now)

Well I bought a 1950's silvertone off Ebay and I think I saw it here on the marketplace a few months ago. All quarter sawn front back and sides. Awesome right? No this thing couldnt carry a tune in a bucket. I threw it in the corner but then I decided what the heck, I found the last three frets were were off so I resawd and used guitar frets to cover old slots. Still no intonation. So I cut a strip of ebony put it infront of old saddle and moved it back to lenghten scale on the bridge. No soap. So I cut a splinter of walnut and crammed it in in front of the ebony in front of the old saddle. Oh my, this thing rivals my 40's martin soprano! It was in mint shape for a 50's uke and I see why. No one could play it. Just sharing with all. still trying to get pics up. Happy ending. Phil

Last edited:
Fantastic.........congrats. I love stories like these. Guess it's the "bargain hunter" in me.

Great story Phil. Sorry to hear it was so much work but glad you found the life in the old uke. I recently got a c. 1960 Silvertone baritone and man, it sounds terrific. For cheapo ukes from the Sears catalog, Silvertones really blow away just about everything available on the entry level market today.

004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg001.jpg I think these pics will post will work on video. For cheap ukes they are nice. Susan gillete whose name is inside the case never heard her uke sound so good! Phil

I really had no idea that they could sound that good. But solid mahogany and one peice mahog. neck I figured how bad could they sound???
Great story Phil. Sorry to hear it was so much work but glad you found the life in the old uke. I recently got a c. 1960 Silvertone baritone and man, it sounds terrific. For cheapo ukes from the Sears catalog, Silvertones really blow away just about everything available on the entry level market today.

Top Bottom