Which size is the best?

elmapache

Reaction score
Hi there!
I owned one of these 'Hawaii Ukulele Company' Sopranos during my time in Hawaii. But these ones are bullshit and now I am looking for a new one, cause my skills are improving with the time.
So I am unsure which one would be the best for me!
The 'KA-MT' Kala Mango Tenor or a 'KA-MC' Kala Mango Concert are beautiful ones, I think. But I am not sure if a tenor or a concert is the best for me? Is there a big difference between concert an soprano? And are tenor ukuleles much more difficult to play because of their size? And what kind of strings should I buy? i think the ones which are coming with the ukulele are not the best?
I would purchase one from musicguymic via his ebay shop.

Mahalo!
Heiko

i dont think many will reply to this thread because it has been covered SO MANY times over and over again.

But ill go through just a few things first to answer your question.

With most qestions in regards to, ukulele sizes and strings and also different types of woods the most common answer to all this is basically; your own preference.

meaning.. what ever suits you. if you feel comfortable with it then stick with it.

'KA-MT' Kala Mango Tenor or a 'KA-MC' Kala Mango Concert?

Im not sure myself mate. I would go for the tenor. But thats my opinion. Why? Because i've only played a tenor, im used to the size and dont wanna go to a concert.
again: my opinion

The difference in concert and soprano is the most obvisous. the size.

The strings that you buy your ukulele with should be suitable. Although the strings that come with the ukulele may not be the best. i dont recommend changing strings when you first buy your ukulele.

Hope you find the right ukulele for you mate. all the best and keep strummin!

Oh
maybe looking at the lastest ukulele mintues 34 - buying a ukulele.
this video might help you with your purchase.

if you cant find it. i've copied the link and just click here

Some threads to get you started:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8446&highlight=size
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8225&highlight=size

I'm sure there are several more, just use the search function.
As far as my opinion, I prefer Tenor for the more relaxed, mellow sound. If you have big hands like me, a Tenor should be easier to play. As far as strings, MGM sets up all his Kalas with Aquilas, right? Those are definitely great strings from all the reviews I've heard.

Edit: not only did grappler beat me but he typed a hell of a lot more. For shame...

Some threads to get you started:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8446&highlight=size
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8225&highlight=size

I'm sure there are several more, just use the search function.
As far as my opinion, I prefer Tenor for the more relaxed, mellow sound. If you have big hands like me, a Tenor should be easier to play. As far as strings, MGM sets up all his Kalas with Aquilas, right? Those are definitely great strings from all the reviews I've heard.

Edit: not only did grappler beat me but he typed a hell of a lot more. For shame...

great links there. rep points added =]

OK thanks a lot!
My problem is, that there are almost no stores were I can try Concert or tenor and decide what ukulele suits me, so I have to decide by experiences of other players and things I hear and read about.
Maybe I should accept the more pricy german online shops where I can replace the ukulele if it doesn't suit me. musicguymic is the cheaper alternative, but shipping it back to him overseas is mabye difficult and expensive as well.

You could fabricate a cut out of each using posterboard- to try and get an idea of size.

Before I tried out all the different sizes, I was sure I'd want a tenor (I come from playing guitar, I liked the sound in the vids better.) But then I went to a shop, and the concert size just fit me perfectly (The total length is even exactly the same as the length of my arm!) And it was just so comfortable to play that I didn't care that it sounded a bit different from a tenor.

Concerts for life!
~Valerie

Some summary notes on size....

As someone who has dwelled on this topic for a while let me try to summarize what I have learned here at UU.

Yes, it is a matter of personal preference but it is worthwhile to describe why some people prefer one size over another.

Basically the uke sizes differ from each other in several ways on a spectrum:

Instrument size - If you want something easy to move and portable go soprano.

Pitch - Generally if you want a deeper voice go bigger though the right tone-wood can create some interesting exceptions.

String tension - Bigger ukes have higher string tension and are more taxing on the hands. That's all the can be said on this trait w/o trying an actual instrument. (Sorry).

Fretboard size - A soprano fretboard requires more severe finger crunching and precise placing. A tenor requires greater finger spread ability and more hand movement up and down the longer fretboard. No way to tell someone what is 'too small" or 'too big' w/o an actual road test. (Sorry.)

Range of notes- Tenors got more frets and more notes.

Cost- Smaller instruments are cheaper.

Funny / serious looking - Supposedly audiences take the tenor more seriously as an instrument. And I know sopranos make everyone smile.

And what about concerts? They are basically compromises between the two other sizes across all the traits.

Now what's more important, small size or deep tone? A wider range of notes or a slacker string tension? Now that is truly a matter of personal preference.

But with all of the above said, only the soprano is a real ukulele. Tenors are for wannabe guitarists. ;)

@GreyPoupon: Wow, you catched the point! This is what I was searching for! I know, that I hat some problems with playing guitar, because I have quite small hands and the finger stretching was very uncomfortable and painful. So because the deeper sound is not the main advantage for me. A concert ukulele sounds perfect for me, because I am looking for a bigger instrument, which fits the anatomical character of my hands/fingers :> I think I prefer a model where I am not supposed to crick my fingers. :> Mahalo for this great summary.
I totally agree with the point - it is a thing of personal preferences and feelings - but objectively thats it! I was at a very big music instrument store here in my city to try what size fits best, but they only had 2 or 3 sopranos... That's the problem here in Germany/Europe. Ukulele is not a very popular instrument. So I have to draw conclusions by studying the experiences of you all! I can only say which type makes a great visual impact. And i like 'Kala Mangos' very much. Thank you all! You are my connection to the ukulele world and community. From time to time friends are smiling at me, when I tell them about my ukulele practices. But I love it and I will improve my playing! That's for sure! :>

Baritone and sopraninos?

Yes, the soprano comment was in jest.

But, really, it is the one true uke. The others were just made as crutches for weak willed people. :)

All of the above is equally true for Baritones and sopraninons as they simply push the described traits to new extremes....

Yes, the soprano comment was in jest.

But, really, it is the one true uke. The others were just made as crutches for weak willed people. :)

All of the above is equally true for Baritones and sopraninons as they simply push the described traits to new extremes....

So following your logic, the ukulele was created for weak-willed people who couldn't play the cavaquinho.

So I just purchased a KA-MC [kala mango concert] from musicguymic and I can't await palying it! :>
Hopefully the german customs office do not want to have too much for import.
should be 22,2 % on the Euro amount.

...only the soprano is a real ukulele. Tenors are for wannabe guitarists. ;)
Nah: the soprano is for George Formby wannabees and the tenor was the only real ukulele. Wannabee guitarists play the baritone uke...

Top Bottom