Building a Kinnard Tenor Ukulele

cigarfan

Reaction score
This summer I was privileged to have the Kinnard Road Trip Uke (RTU) come to my place for a couple weeks. The RTU was topped with Engleman Spruce and EIR back and sides weighing in at just over 18 ounces (super lightweight). It was special in every way. I have been thinking about a Kinnard for myself ever since.

If your are thinking about having a uke made you should check John out on his website.

I have been working with Kevin for the last week or so going over the specs and picking woods. Now it's game time! The build has begun in earnest. Hope you enjoy the journey.

Kinnard Series 3 Tenor Ukulele

Western Red Cedar top
Walnut back, sides and neck
Curly Koa binding (body, neck and headstock)
Ebony fretboard, bridge and headplate
13 frets to the body
Abalone rosette and purfling
Slotted headstock with Gotoh tuners

And today's pics:

The wood (some nice medullary rays in that Walnut)

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

Kevin wrote the build sheet and John is checking it twice

IMG_2483.jpeg

Slicing the top from the Cedar billet. Love those glasses!

IMG_2516.jpeg

More to come. This is going to be fun!

Last edited:
It's gonna be wonderful, Dennis. I'd like to be a fly on the wall, just watching John work on this. You'll love the walnut.

Progress is looking good Dennis. That is a nice looking slab of 8/4 walnut that John is taking the neck from.

Great choices! The cedar top and walnut with a slotted head is an excellent choice. This should sound fantastic.
Thanks for documenting your build. Looking forward to the next update!

Thanks folks! :)

I find a build journey absolutely fascinating. Glad to share it with you!

Some new new pics this week!

That is going to be one gorgeous neck and headstock! (also Walnut)

IMG_2559.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

Thanks folks! :)

I find a build journey absolutely fascinating. Glad to share it with you!

Some new new pics this week!

That is going to be one gorgeous neck and headstock! (also Walnut)

IMG_2559.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

I agree!

Your neck and headstock will look wicked cool with that grain!

Awesome pics for what will no doubt be an awesome uke. Congrats!

Keep those pics comin', please -- love to live vicariously through custom builds.

Moving right along

Here is another pictorial installment in my ukulele build with John Kinnard. A big shout out to Kevin Beddoe of Kinnard Ukes (Kevdog on the UU forum) who is providing the wonderful pictures. Enjoy!

We had a slight postal snafu with the paua abalone which paused the build briefly but we are back on track. The rosette and backstrip need to be in place before the box can be sealed up. Oh, that abalone looks awesome against the cedar and walnut.

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

Here John is finishing the rosette and backstrip installation. Must have been a little warm in the shop that day!

IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

Neck has the truss rod slots cut and headstock ebony faceplate with MOP logo is together. Bracing on the top and back is next and then this box is ready to seal up.

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

Looks like the top and back are braced and John is signing the inside of the top as is the custom of luthiers before they close up the box.

IMG_2595.jpeg

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

The ebony fretboard is bound with the same curly koa used for the body. Here John surveys the base of the fretboard getting ready to position the paua abalone on the top bordering the fretboard. This will tie into the paua purfling around the top.

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

IMG_2615.jpeg

IMG_2617.jpeg

Top Bottom