Does anyone have both a radiused and flat fretboard?

hammer40

Reaction score
For those that own both, I was wondering if there would be any issues when going back and forth from a radiused fretboard to a flat fretboard? Or is it such a subtle difference that it really doesn't make any difference?

For those that own both, I was wondering if there would be any issues when going back and forth from a radiused fretboard to a flat fretboard? Or is it such a subtle difference that it really doesn't make any difference?

I have several of both. No problem at all.

I have one uke with radius and the others without. It's not a problem. If I've been playing the one with radius for a while and switch, I sometimes don't hit bar chords as cleanly for the first time or two, but adjust after that. It's a bigger adjustment for me to go from one size uke to another.

The latter, hammer.

I believe the width and thickness of the neck has more to do with comfort and playability...the radius is so subtle....

Last edited:
I play a lot of barre chords on my radiused tenor and baritone ukuleles and I've found them a little more comfortable to play, especially after an hour.

We have had customers with arthritis that say it benefited them. Had plenty say it was very subtle as well. I think the same as Stan in general neck relief may be more important and also nut width. Of course playing technique can make a huge difference in comfort of playing.

I'm the odd man out. I had both. Got rid of the radiused fretboard after a couple of years (even though it was my best instrument). I could not get used to reaching around three strings to fret the fourth way too often. And, I had far less success barring with the radius.

My Godin is radiused - super comfortable. I dont have any issue swapping as it is very subtle.

Top Bottom