Satin vs Gloss Affecting Humiidification

ALing

Reaction score
I have read many posts on this forum and others regarding humidity but haven't really seen this aspect directly addressed.

I have a satin finished solid concert uke and a gloss finished solid tenor uke. I use Oasis Humidifiers in the sound hole. I find that I need to replenish the one in the concert uke more often.

I know there are probably too many variables for me to truly make the distinction based on the finish but I do wonder if the type of finish would affect the amount of humidification needed.

Since the entire insides are completely unfinished, I don't think the external finish makes much difference. Just a guess. Plus, just as a gloss might hold in the moisture, it might equally hold out the moisture, too. So, net even, I think.

And, irrefutable is the fact that the fretboard is untreated, and needs humidification either way to prevent loads of issues (lifting frets, sharp fret ends, etc.), so that has to be humidified either way (including on laminates, if one cares much about the laminate uke).

Just a guess, as stated.

I don't know how finish affects humidity retention, so I'm no help there, but if you want to investigate further, you could eliminate one variable by checking to see if both humidifiers contain the same amount of water-absorbing crystals.

According to this link, it's easy to lose some crystals from the humidifier if you aren't careful.

Are both ukuleles made of the same kind of wood? I think the different sizes would also affect the loss of moisture. I would like more information on different finishes and how they affect moisture, tone, sustain and other things. I know my gloss concert gets smudgy looking a lot quicker than my KPK with the open pore/matte (what kind of finish is it??) finish.

You are right about the number of variables. If the brand of the satin and gloss finishes are the same and were applied exactly the same, I would think the sealing of the wood pores would be the same. The application of the finish is a whole nuther subject. If your ukes are in cases, that could be another variable. Sorry, I'm not much help here.

Most finishes used on ukes are quite moisture permeable, and the satin vs. gloss issue is...not the issue! Nor is the brand of finish...for instance, Cardinal makes nitro laquer, catalyzed polyurethane, catalyzed polyester, and UV cured of both poly formulas. It's chemistry that counts, not brand name. The thickness of the finish can slow down moisture migration, but it won't stop it, and not all satin finishes are the same in this regard. You can to a very thin satin, or you can do a thicker one. Sometimes pores are left relatively unfilled, sometimes they're filled. These factors don't even begin to address the unfinished insides of most ukes, guitars, violins, etc. The most moisture resistant finish would start with using an epoxy sealer on the wood. You just cannot make generalizations about finishes; it's too complicated for that. BTW, I recently calculated that I've sprayed finish on well over 3,000 instruments now. Yeah, I do this stuff for a living.

BTW, I recently calculated that I've sprayed finish on well over 3,000 instruments now. Yeah, I do this stuff for a living.

And most of us here are honored that you share the wealth of experience of what you've learn from those 3000. I look forward to learning what you share from your next 3000. Thank you, Mahalo, Merci beaucoup!

Yes, thank you for the scientific explanation and thank you for everyone's thoughts on the question. And to answer Ukejenny, both of my ukuleles are made from koa.

Wow, Rick! that's a load of ukes! I asked my repair guy today if my condo could be too dry for my uke cause teh AC runs nonstop, but he said nope....it's a satin....

Plus, Gnomes.

Is the tennor case or concert case easer for gnomes to break into and steal the water. Out part of Florida is riddled, simply riddled with water stealing Gnomes. You would think with the amount of rain we get they would be happy with rain water but NO! they love to squeeze the water out of them crystals.

Maybe get a cat or two. But they have been known to befrend cats, so that may not work either.

Gnomes. It's the Gnomes.

Wow, Rick! that's a load of ukes! I asked my repair guy today if my condo could be too dry for my uke cause teh AC runs nonstop, but he said nope....it's a satin....

Wow..not to sure what to make out of your thread...haha

seems to me air conditioning will take moisture out of the air...and you have it on all the time...I would get a second opinion...

and being Satin should not make any kind of difference...it is still made with wood... IMO

Top Bottom