New Rumbler U-Bass VS. Original U-Bass

Ernie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Can someone detail the differences between the original Kala U-bass and the new Rumbler model?

I'd like to pick one up, but am not clear on the differences between these two models.
Your insight is greatly appreciated!!
Ernie

Okay- this is reassuring. I pieced together the same info, but wondered if I was missing something else.
I think I'll hold out for a used one from the first run.
Thanks for the feedback!

Which one sounds better?

The rumbler has an active pickup system. As said above it's all laminate. It's also cheaper than the other models.

I have one of the all solid mahogany ones. It has a passive pickup but they cost nearly twice as much as the rumbler. At least on Kala's pricing.

Details on the Kala Website here

Thanks for the link Tootler!
BigMama thats a good question. I haven't heard any of them in person, and have only heard the old model through online videos, so thats all I have to go on (that and the reports here).

I would think that except for practicing , you will play it amplified, so the best pickup would be most important, vs solid or lam. that's the one that will sound the best. you can always change the strings. I wonder if the rumbler has the same pickup as the solid body china ones? and which pu is best?

Last edited:
I would think that except for practicing , you will play it amplified, so the best pickup would be most important, vs solid or lam. that's the one that will sound the best. you can always change the strings. I wonder if the rumbler has the same pickup as the solid body china ones? and which pu is best?

I agree with that. It comes down to which pickup system is best. The type of body is largely a cosmetic matter. It is possible to play the hollow body ones unplugged but they are too quiet for practical use unplugged, even for practice much of the time. For practice, I use a Vox AC1Rhythm Bass micro amp.

I would go with strings even over the pickup, when it comes to importance. I absolutely hate the rubbery strings on my Kala UBass. (Though obviously not enough to have gotten around to replacing them with one of the alternatives - though that may be because I haven't touched the UBass since my wrist recovered so I could play my full-scale five string electric bass.)

John

I got a solid Acacia ubass from HMS a few weeks back. It is the model without the E.Q. or tuner. It has the passive pick-up. I have done a fair amount of recording over the last few decades and this thing is FANTASTIC. I ran it straight into Logic X and most of the bass presets sounded great without tweaking. I got the ubass for recording and I have hand-issues, so my standard bass is on the back burner. I cannot recommend the Acacia ubass highly enough. I would also suggesting Hawaiian Music Supply. I am not sure if the lesser models sound as good, but the solid wood models are the bomb. It is a strange little beast, but full of inspiration and low-end.

Love the ubass.

Top Bottom