Tuning pegs

Chuck Dubman

Reaction score
First uke build. Mahogany cigar box body, Martin Style 1 neck from a Scott Antes' plan set. Shooting for finished value of around $200 - $300. What's everyone's preference? Grover? Waverly? Friction pegs? Geared machines?

Last edited:
Friction pegs all the way. I like Waverly, but they're expensive. I guess you can't go wrong with Grover 4B.

I like the cleaner look and lighter weight, closer to banjos, which I've been playing for years, however about half of the reviews I've read lead me to believe they're overly prone to slipping. Reviews being what they are, I have to take them with a grain of salt.

at a finished value of $2-300, you can probably afford a $5 set of Chinese tuners if you work fast, and pull off a half playable instrument.

Very fast...

For the first one, first I don't know how many, it might be useful to let go of any sort of value, short of what the experience is worth to you..

Otherwise, definitely go for the Waverly's!

at a finished value of $2-300, you can probably afford a $5 set of Chinese tuners if you work fast, and pull off a half playable instrument.

Very fast...

For the first one, first I don't know how many, it might be useful to let go of any sort of value, short of what the experience is worth to you..

Otherwise, definitely go for the Waverly's!

That's the beauty of cigar boxes. You can buy a nicely-made (and sounding) body for next to nothing. The job is half done, only needs a neck. I don't mind spending a bit for tuners if they complement the instrument. It's the only hardware I'll need to buy, anyway.

yes, sorry, I was teasing about the Waverly's. They are nice, but expensive.

I like the Gotoh tuners that cost about $55 per set. (do not recall the model) They are nice tuners. I do not like any geared tuners that hold the worm gear shaft by a 'hook' tab of metal. I like them fully captive, like the Gotoh's or the Waverly's. There may be some Chinese tuners made this way, I have not felt the need to look.

First uke - go to ebay and get cheap Chinese geared ones. Second and 3rd ukes ditto.
Miguel

I can get ebony violin pegs for 88 cents each from International Violin (only 2 miles up the road from me!). The
necessary reamer and shaver are not so cheap, since they must match closely, probably best homemade unless I hit
the Powerball. Custom-made luthiery tools are a project in and of themselves, easily as involved (and sometimes as
beautiful) as a finished instrument.

First uke - go to ebay and get cheap Chinese geared ones. Second and 3rd ukes ditto.
Miguel

Grover makes a nice set of open-back machines for about $15. I've used similar (CB Gitty, Shane Speal "Signature Model")
on cigar box guitars. Plastic buttons, could be improved by melting them off and replacing with ebony or rosewood. For the
work involved, it would probably make more sense to pay more for a set that already had them.

Hi everyone-

Where is the best place to buy the opened backed Grovers and Gotoh's in the US- i dont want to ship them from Australia to Colorado so i'll be needing a new supplier as of next month.

Thanks,

beau

Top Bottom