PDA

View Full Version : I am very sorry for all the trouble (hacking) we are experiencing with the site

rayan
09-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Hey everyone. I just came in to apologize for all the trouble we've been experiencing this week. I can assure you as frustrating as it is to you, it is 100x more frustrating to me to have to try to deal with these issues. Thank you all for being so understanding. I'm doing the best that I can to try to prevent it from happening but I am a bit out of my league here. We're a tiny company and I wish we could do more to prevent these things, or hire experts smarter than me to deal with them but we just can't afford it.

Once again thanks so much for bearing with us. And apologies in advance if it happens again.

Dan Uke
09-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks Ryan...I spend a lot of my free time here and this sitenis awesome. You should start a donation drive!! Do a Kickstarter if you have to!!

Kanaka916
09-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Ryan, no need for apologies and it's not your fault. I believe all our members are very understanding of what is going on and can empathize how you feel. You do the best you can and I for one am very much appreciative of the time and effort you've given to keep this site running.

saltytri
09-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks for your efforts!

A suggestion to all: the less said here the better. This only encourages them.

vanflynn
09-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks to you this site works smoothly 99.99999% of the time. We know there E-holes out there that have nothing better to do but make people's live miserable and you get to deal with that.

You do a super job, much mahaloz

Mandarb
09-13-2013, 07:53 AM
No worries. Thanks for all that you do Ryan.

prairieschooner
09-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks for your help! Amazing that these people would target something like this forum.

dtikim1
09-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Hey everyone. I just came in to apologize for all the trouble we've been experiencing this week. I can assure you as frustrating as it is to you, it is 100x more frustrating to me to have to try to deal with these issues. Thank you all for being so understanding. I'm doing the best that I can to try to prevent it from happening but I am a bit out of my league here. We're a tiny company and I wish we could do more to prevent these things, or hire experts smarter than me to deal with them but we just can't afford it.

Once again thanks so much for bearing with us. And apologies in advance if it happens again.
Appreciate all that you do. You might want to see if there are members of the forum that might be able to come up with suggestions on how to better handle this onslaught. I am sure that there are a lot of members that are within the IT industry and or are very computer savvy.

Telperion
09-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks for your efforts, Rayan. This site runs smoothly the vast majority of the time and you guys do a bang up job! Much appreciated!

I really fail to see the point of hacking a site like this. Not much to gain other than just being a pain in the a$$. Any disgruntled members out there who happen to be programmers?

hoosierhiver
09-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Ryan, no need for apologies and it's not your fault. I believe all our members are very understanding of what is going on and can empathize how you feel. You do the best you can and I for one am very much appreciative of the time and effort you've given to keep this site running.

Exactly what I was going to say. You've given us a lot by creating this awesome place.

Barbablanca
09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
You seem to have done a good job. I couldn't access the Forum link earlier without getting a message to the Administrator saying "This site has been hacked" and a loud voice chanting Allah A'Akbah in the background.

If this was indeed Islamic Fundamentalists attacking this site, then we must be doing something right! ;) - But you never know if the Chanting was designed to put investigators off the trail of the real "e-holes" (I love that one! Never heard that before).

It is worrying in one way that we may suddenly have got mixed up in a cyber war that is probably being fought out all the time without our knowledge, but in another way it is reassuring that if they are targeting us, it is because they have found a weakness here, on a low security site, rather than in the places they'd love to get into like official sites of banks, Government, Intelligence, etc.

Whatever it was, it was a sobering experience not being able to navigate UU this afternoon. Glad to see things appear back to normal. I'm going to suss out what I need to do to become a paying member!

BTW I was concerned that in the few seconds that message was on the screen I might have been opening my PC to a trojan, or something. Anyone know whether that is a justified fear, or not?

Shastastan
09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Dittos to Mike and the donation idea, also.

dkcrown
09-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Ryan you guys are awesome. I too don't understand the motive behind hacking this site. Perhaps a disgruntled former member that was banned???????

I do know that I feel very disappointed when I can't log onto the Forum. I take it personally.

fernandogardinali
09-13-2013, 08:23 AM
This sucks. Is the attack is direct to the site or to the server that hosts it (I don't actually know anything of what I just said)

I guess they are probably frustrated mando-hackers

Newportlocal
09-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Certainly no apologies necessary. Thank you for all of your hard work. Greatly appreciated.

consitter
09-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Dude. Not your fault.

Just glad that you've been able to get it resolved thus far.

AKuker
09-13-2013, 08:34 AM
No apologies required! You guys are the best!!

Ukejenny
09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Thank YOU and all the UU folks for bringing us a great forum. This is just a little bump in the road, no problem.

buddhuu
09-13-2013, 08:38 AM
No worries, Ryan. You're doing great. :shaka:

Just shout when we can help.

UncleElvis
09-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Thank you, Mr. Esaki!
You are amazing

we tigers
09-13-2013, 09:28 AM
No apology necessary! I actually feel bad for you guys when I see spam or all of a sudden hear Allah Akbar. You're the ones having to clean the stuff up. You're all doing a great job!

caukulele
09-13-2013, 09:49 AM
You guys do a great job!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work!

Skinny Money McGee
09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Good job Rayan getting the threads cleaned up. You can google the names, let google translate, and you can kind of see who these guys are. Iraqi hacker group

quiltingshirley
09-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Hey, these hackers need to get a ukulele and learn how to play. Then they can be happy (and better productive) making music like the rest of us here. Not to worry Ryan, play something and relax.

PhilUSAFRet
09-13-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm just grateful you got it "sorted out" as quickly as you did. I did kind of panic earlier though. You guys do a great job. Keep up the good work and screw Mr ToMaHok.

mm stan
09-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Mahalo nui for all you do ryan....where would UU be without you..you and aldrine are the heart and soul of UU no appoligies needed, was not your fault ...hip hip hooray Ryan is da man dat
saved UU again... :)

ogg
09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Someone needs to introduce these hackers to a software upgrade by Mr. Radiator Hose...jus sayin :)

Spud1$
09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
It was probably good for me, I never understood those addicted to face book until I found this site!! I'm addicted to it and it just made me appreciate it more. You know kinda like when the power goes out in 100 degree weather and you remember to appreciate all the conveniences we have.. Lol

Markbailey
09-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm a relative newcomer here but this site has become my favorite by far. You guys do a hell of a job. Nothing to apologize for, hackers are not your fault.

ChaosToo
09-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Best forum that I've EVER been a part of, so absolutely no apologies needed!

I'm sure that, as a community, we can make sure that the right processes are put in place so that hacking doesn't become an issue, whether that's from donations of money or expertise.

:D

blue_knight_usa
09-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi Ryan. Not sure if you got my email. If not PM me. If so, great. I know your hands have been full today.

PereBourik
09-13-2013, 04:47 PM
No worries. It's a great forum and we know how hard you work to keep us in touch.

bunnyf
09-13-2013, 04:48 PM
No worries. Minor hiccup. What's to complain about? You are doing a wonderful job!

UkuEroll
09-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Nothing to apologise for man! There will always be haters, usually a little Billy no mates sat in his bedroom. I log on everyday and didn't experience anything! What acurred?

The Big Kahuna
09-14-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm pretty sure the latest version of vbulletin is 5.0.4, which puts the UU forum quite a way back. As with Java (and anything else, but Java is particularly susceptible to exploits, so serves as an example), it's very important to keep it up to date. This is nothing more than a simple SQL injection vulnerability, and something that even an averagely competent penetration tester could perform. These people like to think of themselves as "hackers", but what they are doing is nothing more than picking on the weedy kid in the playground.

If there is a serious cost to upgrading your version of the forum back end, I (and I'm sure a lot of other members) would be happy to make a donation towards an update.

Niq

vanflynn
09-14-2013, 07:34 AM
If there is a serious cost to upgrading your version of the forum back end, I (and I'm sure a lot of other members) would be happy to make a donation towards an update.

Niq

What he said!

The Big Kahuna
09-14-2013, 07:38 AM
I've also posted on my regular forum, in the web development section, asking if any of my friends would be willing to help/offer advice. A bunch of them are serious devs/coders, and are way ahead of me in terms of this kind of stuff. I'll keep you posted. Looks like UU has popped up on someone's radar, as we use vbulletin 3.7, and haven't had anything remotely similar happen to us.

cantsing
09-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Definitely.