Are you a fair weather ukulele player?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Just had another in store discussion with a customer who loves to play but says bad weather is their motivator. Playing chases the blues away and you are inside.
I think I play the same all year regardless(I'm the patio king) but it made me think. Do you tend to play more when the weather is bad and your forced indoors? Or do you still play when you go outdoors? Just curious :D

I play whenever I can. Sadly I'm away from home all day, due to work/university and I just arrive after 11pm, when it's too late to play loud.

Inspiration has an important role. When I was playing in a band I was playing more and better. Now that it's over I don't find a lot of motivation to learn new stuff.

I play just about every day and when I have time. We tend to spend a lot of time swimming in the summer, gardening in the spring, and closing everything down in the fall - lots of yard work and that cuts into my ukulele time. I first picked up the ukulele after I'd had the flu and was grounded on the couch getting rehydrated for a few days. I noodled just about the whole time. At the end of that, I was hooked and already doing some decent chord changes. I love to play outside too, but need a ukulele better suited for outdoor stuff.

I play pretty much whenever I'm not performing open heart surgery or restoring damaged paintings by the old masters.

I must be. I live for summer. I practice -- yes, I practice, not nec. play -- much more once summer is gone. I gotta grab all the sunshine I can.

Last edited:
During the nice 4-5 months of the year I sometimes get to play by the bon fire with friends that have guitars on weekends. Don't play so much during the weekdays. During the nasty months I tend to say at home and play more all week long

Tough question. I enjoy playing with other ukers, but don't get to do it often. It's hard practicing alone, so I don't practice as much as I should. My family keeps telling me if I practiced as much as I visit UU and "window shop" for ukes on line, I'd be a damned virtuoso. Much of my playing takes place in the "land of gonna do."

Weather doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I play absolutely everywhere all the time!! Just today we went to our local zoo. Very small place with about 4 tigers, 2 sun bears, fox, monkeys etc. I took along a uke and played for the animals. Some of them just LOVED it! Some parrots danced and these tiny, tiny monkeys were in awe.

I always play the ukulele when it's time for the fair. No matter what the weather is.

I love playing outside. When it gets cold, I cannot play as much because my family gets grouchy with me. The first thing I do when the house is empty is grab my uke and play. :)

I only play inside,but once I can make some music that sounds somewhat appealing (rank Beginner) I will play indoors,outdoors and anywhere...

I won't play in the heat....no way am I playing outdoors in the summer here, it's nasty....the rest of the time, I'm game! I love playing while watching it rain....playing and singing really warms me up, so bring on the cold!

I've been to numerous outdoor meetups, such as backyard or cafe patios and a park. If there's shade and the weather cooperates, it can be a lot of fun.

At home, though, I'm most comfortable playing in the music nook of my living room.

Maybe I should try taking my Flea or Fluke out back to play and see if the hummingbirds like it. I put up a feeder recently. :)

I don't think anyone who was at UWC this year could claim to be a fair weather player... :)

Seriously, I play year 'round though it is nice to be able to do so outdoors when the weather cools down (usually about 1 week in the spring and 1 in the fall, in these parts).

John

It was desire for an insturment to play outdoors that drew me to the uke, so I'm definitely a fair-weather player. I love playing uke at the river, at the beach, at a picnic, around a campfire, in the back yard, etc.

Living in the Pacific northwest, I'm a wet-weather player as well, of course. Love playing indoors, too, preferably with some soggy friends.

I'm a meteorologist, so there is never bad weather. Some days have more interesting weather than others.

I play every day. Inside mostly. But when it's nice out I play in the backyard or on the front stoop and watch the world go by. Fortunately the neighbors like it.

I'm with bonesigh! I play everywhere, all the time..gee you think I'd be better..I usually keep a flea in the car, so I'm always prepared. The beach is probably my favorite place to play.

I play inside my place and outside. Year round. Sometimes in the winter when I first go in the yard the cold air will throw off my tuning. Cold is a relative term living in Southern California.

Top Bottom