WTB: Vintage Martins and Ditsons from 1920´s

gaspar

Reaction score
Aloha! Im looking for vintage Martin ukes from 1920´s in Styles 0, 1, 2, 1k and 2k. I´m also looking for a Oliver Ditson dreadnought ukes. Please contact me if you want to sell yours
to gasparpozzi (at) gmail.com
I´m located in Buenos Aires, Argentina but shipping would be to Miami, Florida.

Mahalo!

Last edited:
I think Charles Ditson NY had the dreadnaughts; I don't think Oliver Ditson Boston ever commissioned dreadnaughts, gaspar.

I have a couple to consider, but I'll have to look it over and think about it.

Cheers. I enjoy your posts, gaspar. Thanks. Steve

Aloha Steve! thank you.
I think that all ofthe dreadnoughts ukes made by martin were marked as "Oliver Ditson" but I´m not sure.
Please feel free to contact me if you consider to sell one of your ukes :)
gracias!

Okay, you could be right, gaspar. Maybe it was Charles Ditson that had no dreads built. I know one of the brothers wanted no dreads, and the other had dreads and regular. It's all spelled out in Tom Walsh's new book, but I don;t have my copy with me. Anyone?

I have an Oliver Ditson that is not a dread (but that doesn;t mean there are not dreads for brother Oliver), I really like it. It's the darkest Martin that I own, wood-wise. It's a 1M style.

Did you try Gryphon (CA) and Elderly (MI) and Bernunzio (NY), gaspar. They always have some Martins. they all have good websites --- Steve

ps Here's a thread on Ditsons, gaspar.
http://theunofficialmartinguitarfor...son-Ukuleles-shaped-like-Martins#.UjOeg8ZQHNE

As Wininboy states in the thread, and I second it based on Walsh's book, about 1/3 as many Oliver Ditsons as Charles Ditsons overall were produced. So, for rarity overall, Oliver Ditsons are less common by three fold than Charles. When I looked up mine in the book a month ago or so, I think they only made something like 300 of my model overall.

But, that doesn't stop me from playing it. LOL Tell us what you get when you find it. All three of the retailers I mention above have Martins for sale, I just saw. Cheers, friend.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the info coolyaker!
Gryphon dont take paypal or I would be over that 2M they are offering right now.
Elderly is great and Bernunzio is were I got my 1k.

Im still looking! thanks! :)

Hey gapspar,

I don't know anything about this shop, but they do have some old Martins from the 20's. They also have a couple of Oliver Ditson's, one of which is a dread. Happy shopping (wish I was doing more than jsut window shopping.)

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/inventory/uke.html

Last edited:
Hey gapspar,

I don't know anything about this shop, but they do have some old Martins from the 20's. They also have a couple of Oliver Ditson's, one of which is a dread. Happy shopping (wish I was doing more than jsut window shopping.)

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/inventory/uke.html

the name of the shop is 'intermountain guitar and banjo'
i have bought from them before..........they are good people......
..........and they do have quite a few real nice ukuleles as well as other cool vintage stringed instruments

larson1951

Thank you so much everyone! :)
I have seen the "Intermountain guitar and Banjo" site.
They got some serious and cool martin ukes. Unfortunately their prices are high.
For example they have a cracked style 2K priced $2400!

still looking! thanks!

Thank you so much everyone! :)
I have seen the "Intermountain guitar and Banjo" site.
They got some serious and cool martin ukes. Unfortunately their prices are high.
For example they have a cracked style 2K priced $2400!

still looking! thanks!

I agree. Their prices are more than I paid for any of my Martins. But, nice site.

(Maybe they could reduce their inventory if they put prices more in line with market. But, hey, it's their bees wax.). Lol

Hello, I have a 2m soprano in original unrestored condition with finish crazing. No splits or cracks. I am not sure what year it was exactly built.
I saw a similar one advertised as a 1931 but I can't say for sure that is when mine was made. I have looked at the Martin site but
didn't narrow down my year. I do not have wood tuner pegs so do you know when they switched? If mine fits the bill I would be
willing to sell it since I now prefer a larger size ukulele.

Thanks.

Top Bottom