My baritone has Fleas...

Kdogg

Reaction score
I put Aguila Nylgut AECG (23U) on my Lanikai CK-B. Does'nt sound to bad.The main reason for the change is most learning materials are in that tuning,I think it may help my progression Still a Little new to this to be transposing...Someday

If you're playing by yourself (which most of us are), then I don't even bother transposing when tuned in baritone DGBE. The relationships between the chords stay the same and sound good regardless. For me, it's close enough and avoids the whole transposing thing. I wouldn't mind trying a baritone GCEA though just to see. Are the string tension more or less?

String tension is higher,I broke the A string last night so back to DGBE luckily I had a set that came with the Uke (thank you Lanikai). The sound was interesting but I'm glad to be back to the sound that drew me to the Baritone in the first place. Not that i dislike the uke sound I just get frustrated trying to fit my fingers in for the chords on my concert. I know Practice,Patience and perseverance.

I play Baritone gCEA, and I have my cuatro set up as gCEA as well, and the A string is always pushing it with the tension. Need to find a place where I can order a bunch of single A strings, I break them regularly as well as the low G wound strings. The C and E strings are fine at that tension.

I bought a set to try but didn't like the high tension. Seemed like the tension was so high it really muted the uke.

Thanks ^ for everyone's feedback too. I think I'll stick with DGBE on mine. I have a baritone with Aquila DGBE, which I like and they're quite comfortable to play. I have Martin M630's too and liked those as well. I have tried Ken's Living Water Strings dGBE re-entrant on a tenor banjo, and those are really cool strings for re-entrant dGBE. I haven't tried them on a baritone yet, but will soon.
I did not like the normal linear DGBE on Worth though, way too floppy.
I think normal baritone DGBE sounds really lush and deep, and for someone like me who was never going to manage a big ol' guitar, I really enjoy the baritone's sound.

Yes thank you for the feedback,it was an interesting experiment.While it sounded good I too prefer the DGBE. Hmmm guess I may be developing a little UAS,perhaps something tuned in gCEA... Though My next purchase will be A Guitarra Portaguesa I found in a local shop if it is still there when I have the money...

I've been listening to both low-G tenor and "G-Linear" baritone--those are the same tuning--a lot lately. So I guess I need to win the lottery so I can have both...

Top Bottom