PDA

View Full Version : NUY Pono Satin Acacia Concert

Shazzbot
09-13-2013, 03:50 PM
New uke yesterday.
Hey, it's a busy time.
Beautiful satin finish (my preference), solid acacia, rosewood fretboard, too dang cool!
Thank you HMS!
I'm liking the tension and feel of the Ko'olau strings.
But I'm thinking I want brighter sounding strings.
I have set of worth clears and a set of worth browns.
Which should I try?
Or something else?

Pics coming when I get to it.
Sounders game on TV soon.
Priorities.

connor013
09-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Congrats on the Pono.

In my experience, the Worth clears will give you a brighter sound. Do you know if HMS used alohis, mahanas or golds?

Shazzbot
09-13-2013, 05:12 PM
They used Mahanas

mm stan
09-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Congrats on your new pono...they are amazing ukes...:)

vanflynn
09-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Congrats on the Pono. Great instrument, I got the same model this spring and love it.

BTW I currently have Brown Worths on mine and like them. Swap around, just remember which string is which in case you want to swap back!

Enjoy

PhilUSAFRet
09-14-2013, 06:44 AM
They used Mahanas

Mahana's their mellowest string. I have Alohi's on mine and think it sounds well balanced. I'm guessing Living Waters would sound great too, along with.............. and ................... LOL. It's a great sounding concert.

we tigers
09-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Congrats with the new uke! Those acacia Ponos are beautiful! I'm a fan of Ken's Living Water strings. They transformed my Pono MT. Love them.

AndrewKuker
09-15-2013, 07:41 AM
New uke yesterday.
Hey, it's a busy time.
Beautiful satin finish (my preference), solid acacia, rosewood fretboard, too dang cool!
Thank you HMS!
I'm liking the tension and feel of the Ko'olau strings.
But I'm thinking I want brighter sounding strings.
I have set of worth clears and a set of worth browns.
Which should I try?
Or something else?

Pics coming when I get to it.
Sounders game on TV soon.
Priorities.

Thank you!
For strings, anything will be brighter than Mahanas, Alohi are a little brighter but with a similar feel and body of tone. Any fluorocarbon will be quite a bit more snappy, articulate with a little more sparkle to the sustain.
Jack Johnson just bought 100 of this exact model (AC) from us for his world tour. Auctioning them for one of his non profits I believe. He puts so much into charitable projects. It'd be nice if more people with the means had his kokua.
Thanks again and let us know whenever we can help.

hawaii 50
09-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Thank you!
For strings, anything will be brighter than Mahanas, Alohi are a little brighter but with a similar feel and body of tone. Any fluorocarbon will be quite a bit more snappy, articulate with a little more sparkle to the sustain.
Jack Johnson just bought 100 of this exact model (AC) from us for his world tour. Auctioning them for one of his non profits I believe. He puts so much into charitable projects. It'd be nice if more people with the means had his kokua.
Thanks again and let us know whenever we can help.

Hey Andrew you want someone to deliver the Ukes to Jack Johnson...I do for free..haha
tell him to pickup at the store...hehe

Shazzbot
09-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the advice all.
I am trying to make this uke sing like my departed, lamented KoAlana concert.
I wish I had kept it, crack and all.
I will be on Oahu in October and want to revisit Andrew and crew, but my wife knows what will happen if we stop by..........
Dang!

Shazzbot
09-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Switched to Worth clears.
Holy crap!
The Pono is singing loud and clear!

UkerDanno
09-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Switched to Worth clears.
Holy crap!
The Pono is singing loud and clear!

sweet! that was going to be my suggestion!

vanflynn
09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Welcome to String Acquisition Syndrome!

Hammond
09-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Congratulations! This is wonderful that seeing ukuleles bring joy to people. String Acquisition Syndrome is another fun part. :)

Kdogg
09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Congrats on the new Pono...