Gave away a Dolphin uke

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just gave one of my Makala Dolphins to a guy named Francisco, who's a server at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Details to follow...

Good for u ...I get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I think of ukes that I've given away. I think fondly of the person I gave them to and love that they are getting so much enjoyment out of them.

Nice! I just ordered a Dolphin for my dad. We'll see if he takes to uke. If he does, then he might get a little upgrade come Christmas time. I hope you report back on Francisco.

Here's the story: I have this favorite Mexican restaurant that I frequent, uh frequently. The manager knows me, the servers know me, and the regulars at the bar know me. Whenever I go in, they show me to my favorite booth in front of a TV on the wall and bring me the remote control, while they mix one of my special margaritas (large, top shelf, no salt, easy on the juice, heavy on the tequila). Plus, the food is great and reasonably priced.

I was eating there not long ago, and Francisco was practicing his guitar during his break time, so we started talking about music and I was telling him about playing ukulele and how easy and fun it is. He said he'd like to learn and I said I'd bring him a uke the next time I came in.

So the following Friday night, me and the woman and one of the grand-daughters went to dinner there, and I brought along a light blue Dolphin for Francisco. (I've got a half-dozen of them because for a while I went through a phase of trying to find the perfect Dolphin, but that's another story.) I picked the blue Dolphin to give away, because it has good intonation and plays nicely. I also included a Snark tuner and the little starter booklet that comes with Kala ukes. I played a couple of quick tunes for Francisco. He really liked when I did a little fingerpicking on the uke. Francisco seemed happy with his new uke, and said he will practice and learn to play it.

The best part is Francisco bought me two margaritas in return. Heck, I might bring him another uke next week! :)

Last edited:
Super! I bet he gets lots of pleasure out of it!

Welcome to the "gave a uke away" club. There's no better joy than seeing that smile.

Thats an awesome story Steedy. Viva la Margaritas!
I have a local customer who comes in and gets Dolphins to play at work, take to the park , etc. and then when someone walks up and shows sincere interest he gives them a ukulele. Ya know I've never met a tuba player that did that.:) Ukulele players are the coolest!!!
I think so many have been introduced to ukulele because of the Dolphin. Oh and everyone probably knows that the Sharks are coming in very soon.

Thats an awesome story Steedy. Viva la Margaritas!
I have a local customer who comes in and gets Dolphins to play at work, take to the park , etc. and then when someone walks up and shows sincere interest he gives them a ukulele. Ya know I've never met a tuba player that did that.:) Ukulele players are the coolest!!!
I think so many have been introduced to ukulele because of the Dolphin. Oh and everyone probably knows that the Sharks are coming in very soon.

I'm looking forward to when you get those Sharks in. Might have to order one of those, but it might be one I keep for myself.

Here's the story: I have this favorite Mexican restaurant that I frequent, uh frequently. The manager knows me, the servers know me, and the regulars at the bar know me. Whenever I go in, they show me to my favorite booth in front of a TV on the wall and bring me the remote control, while they mix one of my special margaritas (large, top shelf, no salt, easy on the juice, heavy on the tequila). Plus, the food is great and reasonably priced.

I was eating there not long ago, and Francisco was practicing his guitar during his break time, so we started talking about music and I was telling him about playing ukulele and how easy and fun it is. He said he'd like to learn and I said I'd bring him a uke the next time I came in.

So the following Friday night, me and the woman and one of the grand-daughters went to dinner there, and I brought along a light blue Dolphin for Francisco. (I've got a half-dozen of them because for a while I went through a phase of trying to find the perfect Dolphin, but that's another story.) I picked the blue Dolphin to give away, because it has good intonation and plays nicely. I also included a Snark tuner and the little starter booklet that comes with Kala ukes. I played a couple of quick tunes for Francisco. He really liked when I did a little fingerpicking on the uke. Francisco seemed happy with his new uke, and said he will practice and learn to play it.

The best part is Francisco bought me two margaritas in return. Heck, I might bring him another uke next week! :)

That's a great story. And cheers! (clinks margarita glass)

Giving ukes away is always cool and I like to do it too. Should be a requirement of being a uker once UAS kicks in (heck, we all have more ukes than we know what to do with, dont we?)

Feels good when you give a uke away...I always make sure the recipient will keep playing it .....I've only had one who did not, the person just wanted to know me....

Sure is a good way to bring some musical enjoyment to folks. Good on you! The ukuleles in the schools program is another way to promote ukulele interest.

Great story! You are very kind! :)

Last edited:
You inspired me Steedy. It was my uncle's birthday last week so I ordered a dolphin for him from Uke Republic. My sister is now expressing an interest, so I might need to pick one up for her too. :)

Good job! I asked Francisco about his Dolphin uke and he said he's really enjoying it. He's learning to play by watching ukulele videos on Youtube. I'll have to tell him about Ukulele Underground. :)

I've given away some of my starter ukes that just weren't getting played much but lately I've been seeing super buys from Butler music on ebay for blemished lanikais and I think it would be a great idea to occasionally pick up one of those $35 ones and have on hand to give away when the spirit moves.

Top Bottom