View Full Version : Season 83

Pages : [1] 2

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwkWW1Y8nc&feature=player_embedded
83rd Season of the Ukulele
Theme – Lets Get Emotional (see video)

Rules
∑ DO NOT POST ANY ENTRIES UNTIL SUNDAY 05:00 UK TIME (which is Midnight Saturday in Mainland USA (I do hope I’ve calculated that accurately)
∑ As usual, Ukulele must feature front and centre.
∑ Please state “83rd Season of the Ukulele as indicated in the video.
∑ ONLY FOUR ENTRIES PER PERSON. (OK so I changed this half way through but hey, I'm the host and have ULTIMATE POWER. ;-) No bonus songs though (all entries are valid)
∑ Please post ONLY your entry videos. Please - No video’s you made before this week. The reason for this is to be respectful and mindful that I do have time constraints in hosting and I want to give ALL entries my FULL attention.
∑ Multi-tracking – Whatever you prefer folks.
∑ DO NOT WORRY if someone has already done the song you want to do. I LOVE TO HEAR DIFFERENT INTERPRETATIONS OF THE SAME SONG. DO NOT apologise for doing the same song as someone else.
∑ Please don’t use the entries thread as a debating platform. If there are ANY issues then please MAKE A NEW THREAD.
∑ I hope to comment on ALL entries but if I don’t you can rest assured that there will be a perfectly good reason for it.

Prizes
∑ There will be THREE winners.
∑ I think I will probably send the three winners a T-Shirt each with a unique message printed on using iron-on prints designed by me.
Judging
∑ I am looking for overall star quality. Uke playing is not necessarily the centre focus of my judging.
∑ Here are some of the things I will be considering when judging…
∑ Goose bump quality; Video originality, Humour will always score extra with me (anyone who does not take themselves too seriously will score extra too); Authenticity; Playing style; Overall pleasantness of sound coming out of my speakers; Acting ability (feel free to ham up your performance); Video intro; Creativity; Can I see the whole Ukulele? I like to see your playing technique. Oh yes and 5 bonus points if you say the words “Ukey Dave” in your video. I may as well get some kudos out of this.
UU members posting to the seasons for the very first time will get 3 bonus points (Please state this either in your video or in your posting so I know your a first time seasonista);
I’m hoping the wide-ranging judging criteria will make it easier for me to choose winners and level the playing field for ALL.
Finally – YOU MUST HAVE FUN. It’s compulsory. Make me laugh, make me cry it’s all good. ;-)

PLAYLIST (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI1uUDfS9GhTHtTfN71gsicVCxNbx7xj3&feature=edit_ok)

myrnaukelele
09-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Oh that vid brought tears to my eyes - tears of joy for you and your daughter. Great theme.

DWitt
09-14-2013, 12:08 PM
You say "emotional," "songs that move you," and "goose bumps," none of which to me implies 'positive emotions only' to me. But then you also mention warmth and say this week should be therapeutic. Are you looking just for joy/happiness/love, or can the goose bumps be from loss, despair, rage, getting creeped out, etc.? Sounds like the former, but thought I'd verify.

GinnyT11
09-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Love this video, Dave! I know the song that does it to me for the theme, but don't know if I can sing it, or even get through it speaking.

chrimess
09-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Just what we need after 82, a season of harmony.

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 12:24 PM
You say "emotional," "songs that move you," and "goose bumps," none of which to me implies 'positive emotions only' to me. But then you also mention warmth and say this week should be therapeutic. Are you looking just for joy/happiness/love, or can the goose bumps be from loss, despair, rage, getting creeped out, etc.? Sounds like the former, but thought I'd verify.

For clarity - ANY song YOU find deeply moving fits the theme. The philosophical/psychological debate about what constitutes an emotion, where they come from and what exactly they are is something I wish to AVOID AT ALL costs here. If YOU think it fits from the descriptions I have given then I am perfectly happy to accept whatever you deem to fit.

Hippie Dribble
09-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Beautiful video Dave.

glass
09-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Got a couple ideas already.

Shady Wilbury
09-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Ginny, I'm glad I won't be the only one. There's a certain very famous song which causes me to freeze every time I hear it. I may be able to sing it once, and only once, for this particular occasion. Luckily, I have a reserve that gives goosebumps without an incredible amount of emotion. Great theme, UkeyDave.

DWitt
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
For clarity - ANY song YOU find deeply moving fits the theme. The philosophical/psychological debate about what constitutes an emotion, where they come from and what exactly they are is something I wish to AVOID AT ALL costs here. If YOU think it fits from the descriptions I have given then I am perfectly happy to accept whatever you deem to fit.

Okay, but the problem is that I thought that e.g. despair or rage or creepy goosebumps would *not* fit, based on your description. Well, anyway, I'll just keep with the spirit of the thing that I see in what you've said and stick with the positive/poignant end of things in thinking about possibilities. That other one I've been thinking about can wait until a "Saddest Song" week or something similar . . .

Thanks!

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Okay, but the problem is that I thought that e.g. despair or rage or creepy goosebumps would *not* fit, based on your description. Well, anyway, I'll just keep with the spirit of the thing that I see in what you've said and stick with the positive/poignant end of things in thinking about possibilities. That other one I've been thinking about can wait until a "Saddest Song" week or something similar . . .

Thanks!
Don't over-analyse. They all fit. Do the song you WANT to do.

UncleMoon
09-14-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm blubberling like a big baby, great vid, great song, great theme for week. Can't wait.

frisbee fred
09-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Well, if you don't get a vid from me this week it won't be for lack of trying. I just tried to practice it and made it through about 1 verse. We'll see.....

ukuloonie
09-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Great Theme this week Ukeydave
I should be able to find some songs that'll fit

bonesigh
09-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Okay, thanks a lot Dave........now I'm crying!!!!! Great video. Wish I had looked ahead at this weeks theme before I commented on my last video for week 82. Because one of the songs I mentioned gives me goosebumps!

greyghost
09-14-2013, 02:36 PM
I have one in mind that always gets to me--the degree to which it gets to me, however, is such that I've never managed to sing along with it without losing my composure a little. If I can get through it, I know what my entry will be. Great theme (and congratulations to your family!)!

Ukejenny
09-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Wow, your video gave me goosebumps. Great theme. I have so enjoyed my weeks as a seasonista. Every week has been therapeutic/cathartic in its own way. I have a song in mind... So many out there. Music is so emotional and so passionate.

TCK
09-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Dude- I am terrible at emotional songs!
Dang it.
Absolutely beautiful opening video mate. This is going to be fun.

ukuLily Mars
09-14-2013, 06:53 PM
No, you're not. You just do then in your own special TCK way and they come out awesome. It's always great when you do a song that has special meaning for you, and that can take many forms.

Great theme, UkeyDave! I loved your video. Thanks for sharing it with us. You get to do a song this week if you want to also, don't you?

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Great theme, UkeyDave! I loved your video. Thanks for sharing it with us. You get to do a song this week if you want to also, don't you?

Oh yes indeed I do ;-)

greenie44
09-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Well, if you don't get a vid from me this week it won't be for lack of trying. I just tried to practice it and made it through about 1 verse. We'll see.....

Same here. I knew a song immediately (in fact, 3, if I get to them), but I didn't make it through the first chorus. Actually, the same thing happened to me when I did The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll a few Seasons ago, and after repeated practice attempts, I did get through it with only internal churning.

pabrizzer
09-14-2013, 07:25 PM
OK.
Not a happy song but I love it and this will actually be my third video (maybe 4th I think I may have done a how to) of it. I have changed the key to E as I have previously done it in G.
Music can certainly give me goose bumps, stand the hair up on the back of my neck and bring tears to my eyes.
I love this song because of the simple melody and terrific lyrics.
I actually did this song with my brother at a roots and blues open mic and had a lady come up saying how much she liked it and that it had brought tears to her eyes.
The notion that your best and most reliable friend when you are feeling really low is a further dose of the blues is deliciously desperate and terribly sad.
My Old Friend the Blues by Steve Earle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyg_0PGlQwQ

Nice opening video Dave and you polish up pretty well mate.

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 07:51 PM
OK.
Not a happy song but I love it and this will actually be my third video (maybe 4th I think I may have done a how to) of it. I have changed the key to E as I have previously done it in G.
Music can certainly give me goose bumps, stand the hair up on the back of my neck and bring tears to my eyes.
I actually did this song with my brother at a roots and blues open mic and had a lady come up saying how much she liked it and that it had brought tears to her eyes.
The notion that your best and most reliable friend when you are feeling really low is a further dose of the blues is deliciously desperate and terribly sad.

Wow - I couldn't wish for a better opening to my week of hosting the seasons Brian. Thank you so much. That was very moving.

bbbannister
09-14-2013, 10:20 PM
This has the potential to be a mega good week - great theme me thinks.

BB

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 10:26 PM
This has the potential to be a mega good week - great theme me thinks.

BB

I do hope so. I'm hoping the floodgates will start to open in a few hours when America starts to stir from their beds. ;-)

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Oh that vid brought tears to my eyes - tears of joy for you and your daughter. Great theme.
That was all part of my cunning plan. Thank you. I'm so excited to see what seasonistas post this week. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop. :)

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Love this video, Dave! I know the song that does it to me for the theme, but don't know if I can sing it, or even get through it speaking.
You could always take a leaf out of Pabrizzer's book and wear sunglasses. That may disguise any tears. ;-)

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Beautiful video Dave.
Thank you sir. I'm expecting great things from you maestro.

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Dang it.

Dude - Your a terrible fibber. I beg to differ. ;-)

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Well you didn't think that just because I'm host I wouldn't post a song or two (or three) did you?
Here is one that NEVER fails to give me goose bumps. It has massive personal poignancy and meaning to me and my family and sums up my dad who kept his keen sense of humour right to the bitter end. It always provides me with wonderful memories of him. I have already made a video of this track before and make no apologies for doing it again. I can never quite seem to do it justice but I just get so much enjoyment playing it.
I thought it would be good to get this video in before the major rush of entries (fingers firmly crossed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRk8J4rCH74

bird's eye view of my ukelele
09-14-2013, 11:11 PM
before the major rush of entries (fingers firmly crossed)
i don't think you need to cross your fingers - the brilliant theme for this contest, and your super intro vid, makes me think everyone will IMMEDIATELY go, like i did, "ooooooooooooooooh yeah MY extra special goose-bumps-inducing, emotional-wreck-making song is of course..." whatever it is, for whoever it is, and off you go! my only concern is we'll all have posted by oh i dunno half past two in the afternoon today and then we'll have nothing to do for the rest of the week - oh well except for listen to everyone else's choices and have a good cry of course.

here is my entry - "like a rose" by lucinda williams (oh for goodness sake i'm welling up a bit just typing that!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwVkmvDheg

blurry webcam vid combined with super sharp voice recorder audio equals oh i dunno something in the middle???

UkeyDave
09-14-2013, 11:41 PM
here is my entry - "like a rose" by lucinda williams (oh for goodness sake i'm welling up a bit just typing that!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwVkmvDheg

blurry webcam vid combined with super sharp voice recorder audio equals oh i dunno something in the middle???

Top marks for introducing me to a new song. Lovely entry and you score extra points for video originality. How the hell do you get that shot. I have a mental image of you sitting there with a camera attached to some weird head gear. I loved your cool laid back strumming style and voice. Hopefully one day we will see your face. It took me ages before I dared to do that too.

pabrizzer
09-15-2013, 01:59 AM
I've heard that many people really rate Hank Williams as a song writer but when I saw Seasick Steve's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3KxF9pxso) of this song it just blew me away.
Another redo for me as I have already done all the songs that really do it for me. Used my Zoom H2n this time though.
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. Entry #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cViwXWAiDuY
Will have to consider my 3rd as nothing has leapt at me like the first 2.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 02:42 AM
I've heard that many people really rate Hank Williams as a song writer but when I saw Seasick Steve's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3KxF9pxso) of this song it just blew me away.
Another redo for me as I have already done all the songs that really do it for me. Used my Zoom H2n this time though.
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. Entry #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cViwXWAiDuY
Will have to consider my 3rd as nothing has leapt at me like the first 2.

Yep, that one does it for me too Brian. Great cover beautifully played with real goosebumpability. Lovely job as usual. I'm with you on the Seasick Steve version. I remember coming across that during the Hank Williams Season.

xommen
09-15-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm planning on doing a U2 song, but I'm not sure which one just yet, so I start out with a song that for me fits this theme really well. Who am I by Casting Crowns.

http://youtu.be/5h6t5whPeMc

xommen
09-15-2013, 03:40 AM
And another non U2 song that for me fits this theme. Wind at my Back by Spock's Beard. I needed to go up a whole note, which is why I used my Bach soprano as it is tuned in D.

http://youtu.be/s25-AIZsonc

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm planning on doing a U2 song, but I'm not sure which one just yet, so I start out with a song that for me fits this theme really well. Who am I by Casting Crowns.

http://youtu.be/5h6t5whPeMc

Lovely song choice and I thought it suited your voice beautifully. I listened to this through head phones and the sound was really sweet and perfectly balanced. A really great entry and another new song to me.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 04:16 AM
And another non U2 song that for me fits this theme. Wind at my Back by Spock's Beard. I needed to go up a whole note, which is why I used my Bach soprano as it is tuned in D.

Nice clean playing Wim. I've just realised how clean and sharp your fretting of the Uke is. Again I enjoyed your mellow voice.

greyghost
09-15-2013, 04:16 AM

Love the Beard! There's just not enough Prog on this forum--I'm working on a Dream Theater song for this season (OK, now I put that out there, so I HAVE to do it.)!

xommen
09-15-2013, 04:34 AM
While writing about no being sure which U2 song to do I remembered that I had never done One for a Season yet, and that is One of the U2 songs that fit this theme for me, so here it is One by U2.

http://youtu.be/yOvLLpi0AMs
UkeyDave thanks for hosting and commenting, while I've finished my three entries, I will be trying to keep up with what everybody else brings to this season.

xommen
09-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Love the Beard! There's just not enough Prog on this forum--I'm working on a Dream Theater song for this season (OK, now I put that out there, so I HAVE to do it.)!
Yes, Spock's Beard in every setting have made great music, uke4ia tries to get a lot of prog towards the seasons. I think the main issue for me is that most prog songs I like do not translate well to uke. Looking forward to your DT song on uke though.

wee_ginga_yin
09-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Inspired by Ukey Dave (do I get 5 points for mentioning your name in this post) I put together a photo montage of some old family photos. The photos were done for a 365 project on Flickr. That is where you take a photo of yourself for 365 days. Lots of people do it, but I am not that ego-centric to photograph my face 365 times so I covered my phizog with a 365 stamp, and I thought it highlighted relationships better than just a plain old photo. (That was the creative part)

The song was one by Rory McLeod and I liked the idea that a loved one would be secretly observe by a sweetheart. It is a fine thing, and it feels good to know that you are the focus of heart felt love.

The Ukulele does not feature cos it is basically rocking back and forth between G and C chords (boring)... texture and layering were more important... so never mind the quality feel the width :-)

http://youtu.be/dg_6MAUJAsI

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Inspired by Ukey Dave (do I get 5 points for mentioning your name in this post) I put together a photo montage of some old family photos. The photos were done for a 365 project on Flickr. That is where you take a photo of yourself for 365 days. Lots of people do it, but I am not that ego-centric to photograph my face 365 times so I covered my phizog with a 365 stamp, and I thought it highlighted relationships better than just a plain old photo. (That was the creative part)

The song was one by Rory McLeod and I liked the idea that a loved one would be secretly observe by a sweetheart. It is a fine thing, and it feels good to know that you are the focus of heart felt love.

The Ukulele does not feature cos it is basically rocking back and forth between G and C chords (boring)... texture and layering were more important... so never mind the quality feel the width :-)

http://youtu.be/dg_6MAUJAsI

Full marks for video originality and creative licence. You would have received 5 marks for mentioning me in your video therefore you get 3 marks for mentioning me in writing. Tough I know, but someone's gotta step up to the plate and do it. ;-) Seriously though, a haunting and lovely song and not one that I'm familiar with. Its much improved on your 2009 version.

vct33
09-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Lovely opening video. I don't even need to learn a song this week I just need to polish up one of the first songs I learned.

greenie44
09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Great theme. There is so muck music that makes me all emotional; I will probably do multiple entries this week.

It's kind of mysterious why some music works this way. Some stuff has hit me immediately, and some has taken years - I guess until my life experiences caught up with the artistry. Sometimes a particular performance or interpretation opens up the experience of a familiar tune.

Although I typically think of songs that make me emotional, some instrumental music has the same effect. I always liked this song, but it never really hit me until I was a a show years back with three guitar players - Stefan Grossman, John Reynbourne and Larry Coryell. Grossman told a story about when the three were hanging out and getting ready for the show, and he and John were talking about how much they liked this song. Coryell said "Oh, I played on that original". And then they played this number, Good Bye Pork Pie Hat, together - nothing short of pure magic, and the song has moved me ever since.

I am a strummer and singer, but after playing uke a lot for a year or so, I decided I should at least have some instrumental stuff to improve my "chops", such as they were. I worked up this arrangement of the song. Hope you like it. When played by better players than me, it can really produce chicken skin.

http://youtu.be/1sVC_J4mD74

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Great theme. There is so muck music that makes me all emotional; I will probably do multiple entries this week.

It's kind of mysterious why some music works this way. Some stuff has hit me immediately, and some has taken years - I guess until my life experiences caught up with the artistry. Sometimes a particular performance or interpretation opens up the experience of a familiar tune.

Although I typically think of songs that make me emotional, some instrumental music has the same effect. I always liked this song, but it never really hit me until I was a a show years back with three guitar players - Stefan Grossman, John Reynbourne and Larry Coryell. Grossman told a story about when the three were hanging out and getting ready for the show, and he and John were talking about how much they liked this song. Coryell said "Oh, I played on that original". And then they played this number, Good Bye Pork Pie Hat, together - nothing short of pure magic, and the song has moved me ever since.

I am a strummer and singer, but after playing uke a lot for a year or so, I decided I should at least have some instrumental stuff to improve my "chops", such as they were. I worked up this arrangement of the song. Hope you like it. When played by better players than me, it can really produce chicken skin.

http://youtu.be/1sVC_J4mD74

Thanks for sharing your great story with us. I love the quotation at the start of your video - "Music is emotion made audible" You get extra points for that wonderful quote. Thanks for introducing me to this Jazz classic and I take my hat off to anyone who can play an instrumental on the Uke as I am somewhat challenged in that department. Nice playing Rick.

GinnyT11
09-15-2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9MlHW-Ia8&feature=youtu.be

This is my first take, because I don't think I could sing the second verse a second time.

It calls up the feelings and admiration I have for my marvelous son, who is now married and living in L.A.

ukuleledaddy
09-15-2013, 10:52 AM

This is my first take, because I don't think I could sing the second verse a second time.

It calls up the feelings and admiration I have for my marvelous son, who is now married and living in L.A.

Wow, lots of emotion here Ginny. Really lovely to watch. I find it hard sometimes to get through this song as well. Changing a few lyrics and inserting my name my mom used to sing me to sleep with this song almost every night when I was a boy. I often sing it for my girls as well. I'm so glad you did this.

TCK
09-15-2013, 11:00 AM
I rarely make it through this one, not because it is an amazing song. It is however one of my goosebump songs I have not yet played. A simple three chord wonder that reminds me of the best day of my life.
Rest of the story is in the video-
Thanks for the reason Davey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcaSz9XwSVo&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Oh my word. That was truly emotional and very moving. Goosebumpability is on the richter scale Ginny. I hope your ok. Seasonistas will be lynching me for making a grown woman cry at this rate. Danny Boy is a classic spine tingler to be sure. A very heart rendering performance.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I rarely make it through this one, not because it is an amazing song. It is however one of my goosebump songs I have not yet played. A simple three chord wonder that reminds me of the best day of my life.
Rest of the story is in the video-
Thanks for the reason Davey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcaSz9XwSVo&feature=youtu.be

Oh yes that did indeed work. What is this song? I'm not familiar with it. Great photo's and some lovely strumming and a bit of Uke melody thrown in for good measure. This is a great entry Dave and I love the way you say "it's alright" at the beginning to your dear wife who I assume ruined your first take. I do hope you meant it. ;-) Thank you so much for sharing your photo's too. This scores well in my book on goosebumpability, humour and creativity. Great stuff indeed.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Can I just say that this season is ALREADY shaping up to be everything and more I'd hoped it would be. Great stuff thus far.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 11:36 AM
And another one from me. It's one I've covered before but here it is again hopefully made a little more interesting with footage of a drive home and including a key change that is more conducive to my voice (I hope).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3swmc_GHFIA

GinnyT11
09-15-2013, 11:37 AM

This is so lovely, DaveóMr. Cloverdale singing love to Mrs. Cloverdale. It was nice to see Mel's dad in there, too, looking handsome and happy.
Thank you.

Srax
09-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Hello!

I know that the song is a low level song...but for me is very especial: I sing this song to my three year old students, and I think is the first sad song that I teach them. My sons cried when the child leave alone the poor Puff. This song is like a life lesson: the way you leaving important things (magical things) .. just why you get older. I still excites me remember the sad faces of my children about Puff. Here I'm with my little son: your video UkeyDave made ​​me realize one of the most exciting things is to sing with your child. Thank you for your hosting!

You can see the version is a verse in catalan, and another one in english!

And forgiveness for camera shake, my second son is learning to stand still! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UybaezDx4Dk&feature=youtu.be

Hugs

frisbee fred
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Hello!

I know that the song is a low level song...but for me is very especial: I sing this song to my three year old students, and I think is the first sad song that I teach them. My sons cried when the child leave alone the poor Puff. This song is like a life lesson: the way you leaving important things (magical things) .. just why you get older. I still excites me remember the sad faces of my children about Puff. Here I'm with my little son: your video UkeyDave made ​​me realize one of the most exciting things is to sing with your child. Thank you for your hosting!

Hugs
This was going to be my second choice for a song. My mother and I used to sing it together when I was very young like your boys there. Lots of memories. Thanks for posting this with your sons.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UybaezDx4Dk&feature=youtu.be

Hugs

Great to see you demonstrating with your entry that happiness is an emotion too. This was wonderful and had me grinning from ear to ear. Great strumming and your smiling son was a joy to see. It was fantastic to hear it sung in Catalan too. Top marks for goose bumps and great strumming.

rem50
09-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Here is my entry. If the playing and singing were better this would be good! :) Gotta have fun! How can you change where you tube stops the frame? It looks like I am blowing my nose! Ha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2u5XxmCGk

rem50
09-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Great job. fit your voice perfectly!
OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyg_0PGlQwQ

austin1
09-15-2013, 02:08 PM
I am so, SO mad I can't enter this week. Gah! I can think of multiple songs off the top of my head that I've been dying to do and THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN THE WEEK TO DO THEM.

Man. Stupid Mexico.

Tootler
09-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I loved the pictures of your daughter's wedding in the intro video, Dave. Reminded me of my own daughter's wedding some years ago. It was one of those days that somehow everything just went right, a good omen I thought. She has her own daughter now, my lovely granddaughter who just started school last week. My how time flies.

Anyway enough of the digression. Sometimes music just grabs you for no obvious reason and this song is one of those. It has no specific associations for me but when I first heard it, I was just so taken with the beauty of the melody and the simplicity of the words. It's just a simple love song, but all the better for that.

Brigg Fair was collected by Percy Grainger in 1905 at Brigg in Lincolnshire from a Joseph Taylor and to me it demonstrates just how beautiful English Traditional song can be.

http://youtu.be/cqJWatp597k

09-15-2013, 03:50 PM
"danny boy". wow ginny - great job. just beautiful

Can I just say that this season is ALREADY shaping up to be everything and more I'd hoped it would be. Great stuff thus far.
surely surely ginny already has this season in the bag*. but let's keep going anyway! :D

*if ginny doesn't win i will eat my new baritone**

**ok maybe not, just in case! i love my baritone too much to even take the teeniest tiniest most microscopic and sub-atomic particle sized risk i might have to eat it :uhoh:

How can you change where you tube stops the frame? It looks like I am blowing my nose! Ha!
if you go into EDIT on your vid over on youtube, at the bottom of the page you should have a choice of 3 stills to pick as thumbnails - just click on the one you prefer and then click save

rem50
09-15-2013, 03:58 PM
I changed it! Thanks!

09-15-2013, 04:05 PM
rem50 yay that's great!

Top marks for introducing me to a new song. Lovely entry and you score extra points for video originality. How the hell do you get that shot. I have a mental image of you sitting there with a camera attached to some weird head gear. I loved your cool laid back strumming style and voice. Hopefully one day we will see your face. It took me ages before I dared to do that too.

thank you! no sadly i don't have a ukelele camera hat! i either put my regular (battery bandit :mad:) camera on a tripod, high up so it's looking down on me, or with this vid i moved my webcam up to a little shelf above the computer screen so it got the same kind of view. i didn't realise you'd posted vids with just your uke and not your face until you commented this and i went on to youtube and had a good look at some of your earliest vids! i'm glad it's not just me so shy! but i'm rationalising it by saying oh look this is a way to show what chords i'm playing. (or trying to play!)

TCK
09-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Haha- the good old days when Davey was the headless Seasonista (smiling ear to ear remembering the unveiling)
Davey- thanks mate, the song is Question By Rhett Miller (lead singer of the Old 97's) and yeah, Mel totally binned my first take trying to show me a tomato horn worm...she is really into bugs.
Ginny, thank you. It was fun to work some pics in there of Mel's dad-it was a grand day for sure

prairieschooner
09-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Haha- the good old days when Davey was the headless Seasonista (smiling ear to ear remembering the unveiling)
Davey- thanks mate, the song is Question By Rhett Miller (lead singer of the Old 97's) and yeah, Mel totally binned my first take trying to show me a tomato horn worm...she is really into bugs.
Ginny, thank you. It was fun to work some pics in there of Mel's dad-it was a grand day for sure
so far one of my favorites!, disappointment wasn't!

erivel
09-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Ah, so glad Season 83 is here! :)

My wife and I were married to this song 12 years ago in Maui. One of the best days of my life! Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/tdBXNUz9GJw

Dougf
09-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Dave, your video reminded me of one I did a while back, so I decided to do it again, this time for your season. I know many people may have seen my earlier version, but this one is NEW and IMPROVED. :) Anyway, I hope it is, and I hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_UhzNfM0M

ukuleledaddy
09-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Dave, your video reminded me of one I did a while back, so I decided to do it again, this time for your season. I know many people may have seen my earlier version, but this one is NEW and IMPROVED. :) Anyway, I hope it is, and I hope you like it.

Wow Doug, what a great video! And a great song. I've never heard it before.

TCK
09-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Doug- I think the first time I saw this video, I had a little epiphany. Until that point, I had trying to play songs like everyone else did (and failing miserably)...this kind of made it OK to really be who I am (for better or worse) and just do my thing. It was the first time I saw one of us really put it all out there. Turns out I am not a great player, but I can convey an emotion I figure and really, that is probably what I set out to do in the first place. I love seeing this again my friend, one of my all time favs of yours (other than the skinny dipping to mortify the kids)- great stuff, thanks for the inspiration over these weeks.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Here is my entry. If the playing and singing were better this would be good! :) Gotta have fun! How can you change where you tube stops the frame? It looks like I am blowing my nose! Ha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2u5XxmCGk

What a wonderful emotional story Dean. Thank you so much for sharing that with us so articulately. Yet another very moving entry high in goosebumpability (I think I've invented a new word).

librainian
09-15-2013, 08:06 PM

I don't think I ever really felt the emotional impact of this song until just now Ginny. Here's those loved ones who are separated from us in time and space but not in our hearts.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 08:16 PM
I loved the pictures of your daughter's wedding in the intro video, Dave. Reminded me of my own daughter's wedding some years ago. It was one of those days that somehow everything just went right, a good omen I thought. She has her own daughter now, my lovely granddaughter who just started school last week. My how time flies.

Anyway enough of the digression. Sometimes music just grabs you for no obvious reason and this song is one of those. It has no specific associations for me but when I first heard it, I was just so taken with the beauty of the melody and the simplicity of the words. It's just a simple love song, but all the better for that.

Brigg Fair was collected by Percy Grainger in 1905 at Brigg in Lincolnshire from a Joseph Taylor and to me it demonstrates just how beautiful English Traditional song can be.

http://youtu.be/cqJWatp597k

Geoff you do a great service in keeping alive the traditions of English Folk music and your knowledge seems to me to be second to none. Another great one that I have never heard before and you have been responsible for introducing me to a number of songs over the past months for which I am very grateful. There is something very dark and mysterious about that doll in the background though (or is that just my imagination playing tricks with me? - I'm sure it winked). Many thanks for another great entry.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Ah, so glad Season 83 is here! :)

My wife and I were married to this song 12 years ago in Maui. One of the best days of my life! Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/tdBXNUz9GJw

Top notch singing AND playing in my book. I love your mellow singing on this and the crisp uke tone is also great. You are a very accomplished Uker. I hope I can match your playing ability someday.

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Well Doug, this is just the sort of thing I'd hoped for this season. A wonderful chronicle evoking memories through photography that told us all a story about our children growing up and flying the nest. I'm blown away by this. Another fabulous entry AND an original song. Wow I can't get over how much shivering with goose bumps I'm doing this week already - thank you.

09-15-2013, 09:24 PM
i didn't plan on doing another vid for this contest

but then again... i never planned on buying more than one ukelele

and THAT never happened either!

this is "lovesong" by the cure. it really does - i don't know what the word is - it makes me feel like my scalp is contracting or something - i suppose like goosebumps on your arm - like the hair on my HEAD is trying to stand up! maybe it does - and i look like someone holding on to a van der graaf machine - but how would we know? i don't film my head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHWPEL1Bl60

goosebumpability (I think I've invented a new word).

i think you have. goosebumpability. are you measuring it on a goosebumpometer?

P.S. UkeyDave TWICE now i've said to myself ok don't forget to announce it's the 83rd season etc etc when you start filming - and twice now i'm completely forgotten the moment i clicked on the camera. in fact the second time i shouted at myself in capitals YOU FORGOT BEFORE, REMEMBER TO DO IT THIS TIME YOU OAF, but to no avail, i forgot just as much. sorry :(

UkeyDave
09-15-2013, 10:01 PM
i didn't plan on doing another vid for this contest

but then again... i never planned on buying more than one ukelele

and THAT never happened either!

this is "lovesong" by the cure. it really does - i don't know what the word is - it makes me feel like my scalp is contracting or something - i suppose like goosebumps on your arm - like the hair on my HEAD is trying to stand up! maybe it does - and i look like someone holding on to a van der graaf machine - but how would we know? i don't film my head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHWPEL1Bl60

i think you have. goosebumpability. are you measuring it on a goosebumpometer?

P.S. UkeyDave TWICE now i've said to myself ok don't forget to announce it's the 83rd season etc etc when you start filming - and twice now i'm completely forgotten the moment i clicked on the camera. in fact the second time i shouted at myself in capitals YOU FORGOT BEFORE, REMEMBER TO DO IT THIS TIME YOU OAF, but to no avail, i forgot just as much. sorry :(

I loved your introductory text and it made me laugh out loud. You get 5 points for humour that will offset the 5 points you lose for not mentioning the season. Incidentally this was something I also used to be guilty of. It will come with practice. As for The Cure. Mmmm. I was a big Cure fan and went to see them live (at least 30 years ago now) and was hugely disappointed as they were bloody awful (I suppose everyone is allowed one bad day at the office). Nonetheless, I will deduct you 100 points and hold you personally responsible for this dreadful concert (haha - only kidding of course but it did cross my mind). This did register on the goosebumpometer. Thanks for taking time to do another entry and for making me laugh with your dry wit.

Mattyukaholic
09-16-2013, 02:18 AM
Aaaaagghh...I couldn't resist. This is my first ever Season video. I've been enjoying everyone else's for ages but was always to scared to post anything.

Please forgive the bad playing and me forgetting the words every so often!

Last month I married the love of my life Sharon and this was our first dance. Not only that, but I also sang this song to her on the ukulele when I proposed to her at a gig. So it means an awful lot and I well up when I hear it.

The songs is 'If you need someone' by the Field Mice.

http://youtu.be/ZvoPNKt8DqU

Cheers,
Matt

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 02:25 AM
Aaaaagghh...I couldn't resist. This is my first ever Season video. I've been enjoying everyone else's for ages but was always to scared to post anything.

Last month I married the love of my life Sharon and this was our first dance. Not only that, but I also sang this song to her on the ukulele when I proposed to her at a gig. So it means an awful lot and I well up when I hear it.

Cheers,
Matt

Oh my god Matt. You made me bloody well cry. SPEECHLESS. I will comment in full when I can compose myself.

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 02:39 AM

Cheers,
Matt
Right then, I've managed to get myself together to comment properly. So here are my comments. In my view this is the greatest first ever entry in the history of the Seasons. Absolutely top draw and I'm really stunned and humbled to have such a fantastic first entry in my week. This was beautifully played and sung and I'm really finding it hard to put into words this entries "goosebumpability". What a great story too. This has made my week, no change that, my year. Brilliant, just brilliant.
The only problem I can see now is how on earth I'm going to get any other new seasonistas this week because of the height you have set the bar. So if there are any potential newbies reading this who are intimidated by the sheer brilliance of this entry please DON'T let it put you off. You really need to be a regular feature now Matt. Thanks again for such a cool entry.

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Here’s one that never fails to give me goose bumps. "Can't Help Falling In Love with You". If there‘s a better version than the one recorded by Elvis I’ve yet to hear it (although Ingrid Michaelson comes close). It has no particular link but just reduces me to jelly every time I hear it.
Even though I have done this one before, I am attempting it in a new (trickier for me) key (Eb) that hopefully is better suited to my voice. I do think its important to try stuff in more complex or difficult keys to enhance playing ability so apologies in advance as I am aware that I’m not fretting very cleanly but its amazing what you can do with a bit of camera trickery and well placed harmonics.
I've been toying with trying out this duet for a while now and thought no better way to introduce it than during my week hosting.
If you enjoy it one hundreth as much as I did putting it together then I will be happy man. Oh by the way, I dragged the handsome bloke singing harmony in off the streets. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVfplge7qa0

Mattyukaholic
09-16-2013, 03:21 AM
Wow thanks Dave! You've made MY year with that absolutely lovely comment. Thanks heaps!!!!

I'm going to keep taking part now. I've always wanted to but been a bit scared.

DWitt
09-16-2013, 03:31 AM
--TRIGGER WARNING--

This song reminds me of an old friend.

Daniel was one of the warmest, most outgoing people I've ever met. He drank a glass of Red Devil lye, mixed with chocolate milk to get it down. This song got into my head after the memorial service; stayed there for a good while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T6DIn0clGk

Cornfield
09-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Here’s one that never fails to give me goose bumps. "Can't Help Falling In Love with You". If there‘s a better version than the one recorded by Elvis I’ve yet to hear it (although Ingrid Michaelson comes close). It has no particular link but just reduces me to jelly every time I hear it.
Even though I have done this one before, I am attempting it in a new (trickier for me) key (Eb) that hopefully is better suited to my voice. I do think its important to try stuff in more complex or difficult keys to enhance playing ability so apologies in advance as I am aware that I’m not fretting very cleanly but its amazing what you can do with a bit of camera trickery and well placed harmonics.
I've been toying with trying out this duet for a while now and thought no better way to introduce it than during my week hosting.
If you enjoy it one hundreth as much as I did putting it together then I will be happy man. Oh by the way, I dragged the handsome bloke singing harmony in off the streets. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVfplge7qa0

Ukey Dave,

Wonderful job on the "I Can't Help Falling In Love" song and the video.
Please fill us in on the technical.
What video editing software are you using? How did you do this? Green screen?
The sound editing is something else. I assume you used a DAW and then plopped the edited video onto the recording?

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 03:52 AM
Ukey Dave,

Wonderful job on the "I Can't Help Falling In Love" song and the video.
Please fill us in on the technical.
What video editing software are you using? How did you do this? Green screen?
The sound editing is something else. I assume you used a DAW and then plopped the edited video onto the recording?

Hi John,
I just used iMovie and my plug in camera Panasonic HM-TA1. I filmed the Uke version in front of a green screen set up in my large attic room sitting on a chair leaving a big gap on "my" left hand side for the hat version of me. The green screen is just cheap lime fabric (cost about £5) set up on a horizontal pole. Then I uploaded it to iMovie. Then I filmed the hat version with a headphone sneakily placed down my shirt from my left ear and played it on iMovie whilst singing the harmony to version one.
I then downloaded the second version inserted it into the first version using the green screen setting and then tweaked it to get synchronisation between the two (I find this the most fiddly part of the process).
In effect then, the Uke/black t-shirt bit is filmed in front of green screen and the section where i'm wearing my hat is filmed in front of the background you see in the video. Each section was filmed in different rooms but I have identical chairs which were used to give the same height perspective etc.
Oh and the sound was as recorded straight onto the camera. It seems to have a pretty good mic built into it.
Hope you can follow that explanation ok.

Dave

GinnyT11
09-16-2013, 03:59 AM
Cheers,
Matt

Matt, that was beautiful! Your love for Sharon braced you enough to post your first video, and I hope you'll post many more in Seasons to come!

Now go to the Groups page and join the Seasonistas group because you now ARE one, and we won't let you go!

Cornfield
09-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi John,
I just used iMovie and my plug in camera Panasonic HM-TA1. I filmed the Uke version in front of a green screen set up in my large attic room sitting on a chair leaving a big gap on "my" left hand side for the hat version of me. The green screen is just cheap lime fabric (cost about £5) set up on a horizontal pole. Then I uploaded it to iMovie. Then I filmed the hat version with a headphone sneakily placed down my shirt from my left ear and played it on iMovie whilst singing the harmony to version one.
I then downloaded the second version inserted it into the first version using the green screen setting and then tweaked it to get synchronisation between the two (I find this the most fiddly part of the process).
In effect then, the Uke/black t-shirt bit is filmed in front of green screen and the section where i'm wearing my hat is filmed in front of the background you see in the video. Each section was filmed in different rooms but I have identical chairs which were used to give the same height perspective etc.
Oh and the sound was as recorded straight onto the camera. It seems to have a pretty good mic built into it.
Hope you can follow that explanation ok.

Dave

Thanks for the explanation. Great use of technology. I'm a windows guy so I'll have to see if I can do something like this in Photoshop

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 04:26 AM
--TRIGGER WARNING--

This song reminds me of an old friend.

Daniel was one of the warmest, most outgoing people I've ever met. He drank a glass of Red Devil lye, mixed with chocolate milk to get it down. This song got into my head after the memorial service; stayed there for a good while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T6DIn0clGk

On watching this some of the things that came to mind were words like; deep: dark: mysterious and haunting. Yet another song that I'm not familiar with. I was intrigued to look up the lyrics which are indeed deep, dark, mysterious and haunting. The mood you create in your video gets top marks for creativity and fits the song perfectly as does your playing and your dark, deep voice is also perfect match for this strange song. Thank you for another great entry.

Shady Wilbury
09-16-2013, 07:17 AM
As soon as you announced the theme for this week, Dave, I knew exactly what I would perform. The question then was 'How do I get through it?'

I thought about explaining the full story in the video, but knew instantly that would scupper everything. I came to know Chris through the official George Harrison forum (now apparently defunct) back in 2006. She lived in Argentina, and we became very close, thanks to our shared interest. She passed away from cancer in 2007, on Easter Sunday. Three days before, I learned to play this on guitar. To this day, if I hear it in a public place, I freeze. Incidentally, it was the reason why I left my school's singing club, when I realised I couldn't so much as hear the bass line begin without shaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyTwGF8ydbg

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 08:32 AM
As soon as you announced the theme for this week, Dave, I knew exactly what I would perform. The question then was 'How do I get through it?'

I thought about explaining the full story in the video, but knew instantly that would scupper everything. I came to know Chris through the official George Harrison forum (now apparently defunct) back in 2006. She lived in Argentina, and we became very close, thanks to our shared interest. She passed away from cancer in 2007, on Easter Sunday. Three days before, I learned to play this on guitar. To this day, if I hear it in a public place, I freeze. Incidentally, it was the reason why I left my school's singing club, when I realised I couldn't so much as hear the bass line begin without shaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyTwGF8ydbg

Hi Casey. Its ironic because I am just in the process of making a multi-track version of this very same song and I was thinking of using it here. I will probably put it in the links and videos section when its finished. Thank you for sharing your moving story. A touching tribute to your friend. I'm glad you managed to play it for us and found the right key eventually. This is something that I have found can be quite difficult to do although I recently read a tip on this which said find the highest note in the song that you can sing comfortably and work from there. I found that to be a helpful tip and am currently working through my playlist and making amendments. Its all good practice too. Thanks again and I hope you found playing the song cathartic thing and a nice celebration of music that moves us.

Shady Wilbury
09-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks, Dave.

Please don't let my sub-par version deter you from posting yours here. I look forward to hearing somebody else tackle it with the soul it deserves.

Take care,

Casey

vct33
09-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Here is one of the first songs I learned on the uke. Glad to have a reason to dust it off and play it for you. Garth Brooks has so many songs that choke me up and this is at the top of the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW5VmXeluk0

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Here is one of the first songs I learned on the uke. Glad to have a reason to dust it off and play it for you. Garth Brooks has so many songs that choke me up and this is at the top of the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW5VmXeluk0

This song does it for me too vct33 (sorry I couldn't see your name anywhere). Great introduction and yes you do indeed get bonus points on top of bonus points for the double shout out. I see you have paid particular attention to my judging rules. This has stood you in good stead my friend. This is a really great entry and I loved how you hammed it up with a bit of over-acting. Great humour and it did make me chuckle out loud. That is not to distract from a good solid entry. Thank you my nameless friend.

wallyboy
09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
great theme Davey, heres my bash, it was first dance at our wedding,
this song bring a lump to throat
I have gone from three hours to upload to you tube, to twenty minutes with elements 11, got to get my head around editing now,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb2DnGFncVA

The Ukelites
09-16-2013, 10:42 AM
What a great theme, Dave! Loved your wedding vid. :love:
When it comes to emotions Hank Williams is my (Miriam's) songwriter. He's got his 90th birthday tomorrow and we thought a tribute would be nice. Lost On The River may not have been a top hit for Hank, but it's one of my favs and another chance to do a duet with Steffen. Mr Williams recorded this song with his first wife Audrey in 1948. Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO3TT3TL8AU

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 11:11 AM
great theme Davey, heres my bash, it was first dance at our wedding,
this song bring a lump to throat
I have gone from three hours to upload to you tube, to twenty minutes with elements 11, got to get my head around editing now,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb2DnGFncVA

Firstly Walter I'm going to give you extra points for having such a fantastic UU Member name. Now your accent sounds more East End than Kent to me but what do I know, I'm 100 miles plus further up north. Unchained Melody is a great choice and fabulous one for a first wedding dance. You could see it was a heartfelt performance. Loved the cheeky chappie grin at the end. I could see myself down the pub having a pint with you Wallyboy. Mine's a pint of best bitter please. ;-)

GinnyT11
09-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't think I ever really felt the emotional impact of this song until just now, Ginny. Here's those loved ones who are separated from us in time and space but not in our hearts.

Thank you, Andrew. It's amazing how a song can be merely in the background to you for years, then when you have had a change in your life—loss, addition, wisdom—it magically transforms itself into an exact expression of your feelings. What's different is you. When I became mother of a son, Danny Boy became electrifying to me.

Don't you think UkeyDave is being a hard music therapist on us this week? :) But what a cathartic week-end party we'll have! It's a sensational theme.

Barbablanca
09-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Good Bye Pork Pie Hat....

Nice. Do you know Joni Mitchell's song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuCjZ2OCwqE) in which she put very emotional lyrics to this tune?

vct33
09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
This song does it for me too vct33 (sorry I couldn't see your name anywhere). Great introduction and yes you do indeed get bonus points on top of bonus points for the double shout out. I see you have paid particular attention to my judging rules. This has stood you in good stead my friend. This is a really great entry and I loved how you hammed it up with a bit of over-acting. Great humour and it did make me chuckle out loud. That is not to distract from a good solid entry. Thank you my nameless friend.

Thanks Dave for the great feedback. And my first name is Vince for future reference. :p

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
What a great theme, Dave! Loved your wedding vid. :love:
When it comes to emotions Hank Williams is my (Miriam's) songwriter. He's got his 90th birthday tomorrow and we thought a tribute would be nice. Lost On The River may not have been a top hit for Hank, but it's one of my favs and another chance to do a duet with Steffen. Mr Williams recorded this song with his first wife Audrey in 1948. Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO3TT3TL8AU

Oh my word. This is just sublime. What a tremendous spine tingling entry. I couldn't help pressing the repeat button. A truly joyus tune played with perfection. Had me tapping along with a big wide grin. Thank you so much Steffen and Miriam. What a wonderful duet you are and such great rapport between you two makes it extra special. This season is surpassing ALL of my expectations.

greenie44
09-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Nice. Do you know Joni Mitchell's song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuCjZ2OCwqE) in which she put very emotional lyrics to this tune?

Hi Berni -

No, I never heard it. I'll go look it up - thanks for the tip!

09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Oh by the way, I dragged the handsome bloke singing harmony in off the streets. ;-)
he is lovely! ;)

and your video is BRILLIANT!

:worship:

Dan Uke
09-16-2013, 08:27 PM
This song gives me goose bumps as I heard one of the students from Columbine sing it during a vigil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0oia-G0aiA&feature=youtu.be

09-16-2013, 08:30 PM
okie dokie. after i did my first video i said to myself, just the one vid this week. and then promptly posted a second. and after THAT one, i said to myself, more firmly this time, THAT'S ENOUGH MAKING AND POSTING VIDEOS THIS WEEK. TWO IS PLENTY. YOU HAVE HOUSEWORK YOU SHOULD BE DOING. but the uke won out over housework (i cannot even begin to tell you how often that happens :uhoh: )

so here is my third video. it's "everywhere i go" by amy grant. another spine tingler, for me anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyCRJkfiEZU

i'm very glad UkeyDave said just three vids per person, because a. i now have a chance with that housework :( and b. there is another song i could have done, it's "don't give up on us baby" by david soul. no really. no. REALLY. it was the first single i ever bought. i thought he was dreamy. (i still think he's dreamy :uhoh: )

I will deduct you 100 points and hold you personally responsible for this dreadful concert
yeah i'm sorry about that :p

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 08:44 PM
he is lovely! ;)

and your video is BRILLIANT!

:worship:

Hahaha thank you - you are too kind. Yes I have booked him for another multi-tracking appearance I'm currently working on.

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 08:59 PM
This song gives me goose bumps as I heard one of the students from Columbine sing it during a vigil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0oia-G0aiA&feature=youtu.be

Yet another touching song that I've never come across before. This week is really introducing me to some sweet sweet new music. I loved your strumming and that Uke sounds lovely too. I'm envious of your clean crisp playing (something I'm still striving for). Sung with real emotion too. Thanks Dan.

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
i'm very glad UkeyDave said just three vids per person, because a. i now have a chance with that housework :( and b. there is another song i could have done, it's "don't give up on us baby" by david soul. no really. no. REALLY. it was the first single i ever bought. i thought he was dreamy. (i still think he's dreamy :uhoh: )

I think you misread the rules. IT CLEARLY SAYS FOUR :rulez: and as for "housework" what the hell IS THIS STRANGE CONCEPT? (OK - I can't tell a lie, I did change the rule as you will see if you go back and look at my post but hey. It's MY week and that's all part of the fun) Yay, can't wait to hear a bit of David Soul. ;-)

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Just to clarify. I have altered one of the rules. YOU CAN NOW POST FOUR ENTRIES PER PERSON. Can I just remind anyone who is watching and has never posted to the Seasons before. Lets Be Avin You. You are amongst friends here. We have all been novices. I hope that gentle nudge is going to give you the inspiration to go for it. ;-)

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
so here is my third video. it's "everywhere i go" by amy grant. another spine tingler, for me anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyCRJkfiEZU

I think your voice is very nicely suited to this song and has a moving sad quality to it. You were probably all dreamy thinking about your upcoming David Soul entry (no pressure then). Is your name Bev. (Birds Eye View = B.E.V.) or is that just a very bad guess?

09-16-2013, 09:46 PM
o

m

G

:uhoh:

after i posted, i checked the chords for "don't give up on us baby"... and thought oh good i'm glad i CAN'T do a fourth entry! and now i CAN? "can do a fourth entry" i mean - not "can do the chords"!

:eek:

i think it's very cruel, UkeyDave! i seem to remember last time i warbled that song in the bath i was deeply, DEEPLY tuneless! oh well, go on, i like a laugh

:mad: < does my face look like i'm laughing?!

and no my name isn't bev, it's lynda. but i like your thought process. i think i might change it to bev.

TheUkeBloke
09-16-2013, 10:00 PM
I always liked this song, very emotional and meaningful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X4qW0Duzdw

UkeyDave
09-16-2013, 11:23 PM
I always liked this song, very emotional and meaningful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X4qW0Duzdw

The season number error made me smile so I suppose I'd better give you extra marks for humour (deliberate or otherwise). I liked your rendition of this track. Did I detect emotion in your voice? This was sung beautifully. Great entry. TheUkeBloke never fails to entertain me. Thank you for your entry.

pabrizzer
09-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I Am Not At War With Anyone by Luka Bloom.
Yes it would have been terrific for Charlie to sing all the song herself but she only met the song for the first time today. She comes over on Tuesdays for a half hour uke lesson and when we have to do lots of takes I can see the fun draining with every stop and redo. So I sang the verses she was having trouble with (the phrasing and country names) with her. I think she has a fine little voice and am considering maybe some vocal lessons.
She is 10 next week.
I am afraid I have to say that I really like this one and think that Charlie did a real good job.
The song I first saw on TV and it affected me very strongly.
I will add a link here of Luka doing his own song. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_bsNP-pC0)
Amazing what 2 chords can do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czyzsx0opSg

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Yes it would have been terrific for Charlie to sing all the song herself but she only met the song for the first time today. She comes over on Tuesdays for a half hour uke lesson and when we have to do lots of takes I can see the fun draining with every stop and redo. So I sang the verses she was having trouble with (the phrasing and country names) with her. I think she has a fine little voice and am considering maybe some vocal lessons.
She is 10 next week.
I am afraid I have to say that I really like this one and think that Charlie did a real good job.
I will add a link here of Luka doing his own song. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_bsNP-pC0)

Take one great lyric with a lovely tune, perform that with your grandaughter who has the voice of an angel and BOOM. Brian that was just wonderful and deeply moving. Cha's voice on this was just perfect. You must be very proud of her. I'm still working on trying to persuade my grandaughter to get past the shy wont sing stage but I live in hope. This really had the "goosebumpometer" going into orbit. Well the title of the season is "Lets Get Emotional" and it certainly doesn't come any more emotional than that. A tremendous job. Wow - ONLY TWO CHORDS.

TheUkeBloke
09-17-2013, 12:47 AM
The season number error made me smile so I suppose I'd better give you extra marks for humour (deliberate or otherwise). I liked your rendition of this track. Did I detect emotion in your voice? This was sung beautifully. Great entry. TheUkeBloke never fails to entertain me. Thank you for your entry.

Thanks Dave, goodness knows where I got 63 from - lack of communication between my brain and my mouth...!

pabrizzer
09-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Take one great lyric with a lovely tune, perform that with your grandaughter who has the voice of an angel and BOOM. Brian that was just wonderful and deeply moving. Cha's voice on this was just perfect. You must be very proud of her. I'm still working on trying to persuade my grandaughter to get past the shy wont sing stage but I live in hope. This really had the "goosebumpometer" going into orbit. Well the title of the season is "Lets Get Emotional" and it certainly doesn't come any more emotional than that. A tremendous job. Wow - ONLY TWO CHORDS.

Thank you so much Dave.
Yes TOTALLY proud of her indeed.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks Dave, goodness knows where I got 63 from - lack of communication between my brain and my mouth...!
Don't worry, I just got the margarine out of the fridge to put in my coffee (instead of milk) so I think I beat you on that one. lol

frisbee fred
09-17-2013, 03:27 AM
She is 10 next week.

No fair. How can we compete in a week about Emotions when you have Cha singing with you? That was just great.

bonesigh
09-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Now I get to do FOUR! I'm never gonna get anything done this week! Thanks Dave!

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Well it's been 5 hours and not one new entry. Where is everyone? I'm getting all emotional and lonesome :-(

The Ukelites
09-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Well it's been 5 hours and not one new entry. Where is everyone? I'm getting all emotional and lonesome :-(
Don't worry, Dave! Here's No 2::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzTU32IPvzE

GinnyT11
09-17-2013, 05:47 AM

Wonderful, wunderbar! I love Miriam's big smile looking at Steffan; you know they've been standing by each other for a long while.

Please tell where I can get a Ukelites t-shirt!

frisbee fred
09-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Dear lord I'm turning into a weepy old man. I finally (barely) got through the song. I guess we are employing the TCK rule here and giving the story behind the songs we're doing. My three kids are a total of 4 years apart. When Meredith went to college I said "Well, at least I've still got Audrey and Evan". Then went Audrey went I said "At least I've still got Evan". He graduated this past June but it really hit me in March. He was considered one of the best 2 or 3 basketball players in the state so we went to a lot of games in a lot of leagues over the years. His high school team was in the 2nd round of the playoffs. The other team planned their defense around him and he had a rough game. They lost in the final seconds. When we got home he was feeling kind of bad and said something like "I guess high school's done for me. Now it's just planning for college". It hit me then that he was leaving and I had to go down to the den (aka "uke room") and close the door. During some tears I wrote this song and put it to a simple chord progression that about a thousand other songs have. The brief basketball highlights at the beginning and end of the song are from his junior year two years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZUh1FIyPLU&feature=youtu.be
Evan's Song

Was a privilege to hold you and feed you
To watch as you took your first step
To carry you high, while you looked at the sky
Then silently watched as you slept.

Tony Hawk, Sean Palmer and Hot Wheels
Stretchies and Frisbees and toys
Was a privilege to play, all through the day
Or until you went out with the boys.

You're caring, you're daring, you're kind and you're tough
There are so many things you have done
But the words to describe you just aren't enough
I love you my friend, my son.

Was a privilege to shoot hoops in the driveway
To rebound to block and to pass
To play one on one, til one of us won
Or until I ran out of gas.

Was a privilege to watch you play ball
Even when the shots didn't fall
You were held you were hit
You gave other teams fits
And every game you gave it your all

You're caring, you're daring, you're kind and you're tough
There are so many things you have done
But the words to describe you just aren't enough
I love you my friend, my son.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 06:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzTU32IPvzE

The irony of the seasons never fails to astound me. This song comes around yet again whilst I am actually working on recording it (you will see why the irony at the end of the week hopefully if I get it finished). Steffen and Miriam have you EVER made a bad video (I don't think you have). Miriam your singing on this is just great and Steffen just kills that bass. Lovely lovely video yet again. This is a wonderful song and the more who do it the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for coming in with an entry just as I was getting worried I was on my own. I'm off out now but when I return in 5 hours i'm hoping for lots more entries. I'm beginning to wonder how the hell I'm going to judge this. The standard of the entries is just phenomenal.

estreya
09-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Pabrizzer ... that was almost unspeakably poignant. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

The Ukelites
09-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your kind words, Ginny.

Please tell where I can get a Ukelites t-shirt!

You can get one from us, but we have to warn you: producing T-Shirts in Germany and shipping them to the US is expensive. Even if we don't earn anything (which is ok, we're proud if someone's wearing our shirt), the shirt/shipping is about 36 dollars, I guess that's quite a lot. But if you (or someone else) still want one, send me a mail for details. I'll produce one for you in your fav. color.:D and send it to you.

The Ukelites
09-17-2013, 06:52 AM
The irony of the seasons never fails to astound me. This song comes around yet again whilst I am actually working on recording it (you will see why the irony at the end of the week hopefully if I get it finished). Steffen and Miriam have you EVER made a bad video (I don't think you have). Miriam your singing on this is just great and Steffen just kills that bass. Lovely lovely video yet again. This is a wonderful song and the more who do it the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for coming in with an entry just as I was getting worried I was on my own. I'm off out now but when I return in 5 hours i'm hoping for lots more entries. I'm beginning to wonder how the hell I'm going to judge this. The standard of the entries is just phenomenal.

Thanks a lot, Dave! Seems like every season has his undercover bonus song! Looking forward to your rendition!

erivel
09-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Top notch singing AND playing in my book. I love your mellow singing on this and the crisp uke tone is also great. You are a very accomplished Uker. I hope I can match your playing ability someday.

Thanks for the lovely comment Dave, cheers! :)

xommen
09-17-2013, 08:49 AM
It seems that emotional song for me are related to some extent to songs about faith/God. This song has the most effect on me when I'm feeling down, as then it seems to lift me up. As UkeyDave upped the limit from three to four either for me or for himself ;), this is Help Me by Neal Morse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElbhIs-pA90

pabrizzer
09-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Pabrizzer ... that was almost unspeakably poignant. Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Thank you.

pabrizzer
09-17-2013, 09:01 AM
No fair. How can we compete in a week about Emotions when you have Cha singing with you? That was just great.
Thank you Fred but ...
Sharing, not competing.
And your song for Evan was just wonderful Fred. And yes it made me feel very emotional but I am just a big sook really.

Doug your family photos and beautifully performed song had the same effect on me.

wallyboy
09-17-2013, 09:10 AM
cheers Davey,
born and bred in kent mate,
I would gladly dip hand in pocket to buy you a pint,

redpaul1
09-17-2013, 09:16 AM
I've gone for outright emotional manipulation this week: 3 songs by the Fureys & Davey Arthur.

Euston Station is the London terminus of the line to Holyhead and the ferry to Dublin. From the 2004 album 'The Scattering':

http://youtu.be/rteXAJLXm0g

redpaul1
09-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Another Fureys cover, this time from 1982:

http://youtu.be/3X_xNmwdBBA[/video]

redpaul1
09-17-2013, 09:20 AM
The Fureys only do the first verse. I think the 2nd establishes the fact that the singer is a widower. If that doesn't get you reaching for the Kleenex, nothing will.

http://youtu.be/W5aBMCbiw0c

pabrizzer
09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Redpaul1
Your first two videos are the same video.
Doing a TCK with deja vu all over again?

decaturcomp
09-17-2013, 09:39 AM
I just wanted to put this back up at the top again so folks could be sure to see it.
I can't watch it again without a drink of water for fear of dehydration.
America sends it's love back to Cha.

She is 10 next week.

redpaul1
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Redpaul1
Your first two videos are the same video.
Doing a TCK with deja vu all over again?
Oops! Fixed now. Thanks for letting me know!

And top duetting btw! Thanks for sharing :)

ukuleledaddy
09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I just wanted to put this back up at the top again so folks could be sure to see it.

Wow, goose bumps for sure. What a great song and such a heartwarming rendition. Thanks Alan for putting this up top again, I had missed it previously.

pabrizzer
09-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Thank you Alan.

elmann
09-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Marvelous teaser entry, creating exactly these deep joyful emotions we want!

There are some songs (Toto-Africa, Boston-More than a feeling ...), also german songs which I cannot express, due to slang and sound, but since 2009, when I discovered the uke, I also detected this favorite goose bump creating song:
(sorry, little bit silent)

http://youtu.be/8xo1i7fOuA4

GinnyT11
09-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Dear lord I'm turning into a weepy old man. I finally (barely) got through the song. I guess we are employing the TCK rule here and giving the story behind the songs we're doing. My three kids are a total of 4 years apart. When Meredith went to college I said "Well, at least I've still got Audrey and Evan". Then went Audrey went I said "At least I've still got Evan". He graduated this past June but it really hit me in March. He was considered one of the best 2 or 3 basketball players in the state so we went to a lot of games in a lot of leagues over the years. His high school team was in the 2nd round of the playoffs. The other team planned their defense around him and he had a rough game. They lost in the final seconds.
When we got home he was feeling kind of bad and said something like "I guess high school's done for me. Now it's just planning for college". It hit me then that he was leaving and I had to go down to the den (aka "uke room") and close the door. During some tears I wrote this song and put it to a simple chord progression that about a thousand other songs have. The brief basketball highlights at the beginning and end of the song are from his junior year two years ago.

Fred, I know how hard writing and singing this kind of song can be, so applause for letting your feelings out. Evan will appreciate it, both now and more when he's older.

With the kind of character he has, he'll do much more to make you proud in college years and beyond.

GinnyT11
09-17-2013, 10:43 AM

And angel-singing Cha is a Seasonista in her own right; she signed up a while back.
Have all of you joined the Seasonistas group?

Srax
09-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Woops!

I think I have a syndrome! I can not stop thinking about what the next song I will record tor UU ... is it normal? This happens to you too?

I dared to make a second entry, please forgive my awful English spoken, so I tried to explain the reason for my choice ... I do not know if I got it, just in case you attach an explanation here:

This song is a true story about a poet Alfonsina Storni called it suicide. Legend has it the sea that came up slowly disappearing. It is in Spanish and I put English subtitles, but I have a song that is so beautiful and emotional worth of know the lyrics. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VP0YdrER_o

Hugs

Sara

Tootler
09-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Here's my entry no. 2

Graeme Miles was born in Kent but moved to the North East with his job, first to Tyneside then to Teesside. He fell in love with the area and set out to document it in song. He eventually wrote over 300 songs celebrating every aspect of the area, the industry along the River Tees, the people and the beautiful countryside nearby. I met him once briefly and found him, as he was described by most people, a quiet unassuming man. Sadly he died earlier this year of cancer and at Whitby Folk Week this August just passed, there was a concert in memory of his life and work. It was a very emotional occasion and I found this song particularly emotional, so I felt I just had to give it a go. It's one of his lyrical songs about the peace to be found when surrounded by beautiful countryside and although it was almost certainly written about the North York Moors, one of our National Parks and practically on my doorstep, it is written in universal terms as the best songs usually are. As something of a loner myself, I find I can really relate to this song.

http://youtu.be/36gX-ccfjqk

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Dear lord I'm turning into a weepy old man. I finally (barely) got through the song. I guess we are employing the TCK rule here and giving the story behind the songs we're doing. My three kids are a total of 4 years apart. When Meredith went to college I said "Well, at least I've still got Audrey and Evan". Then went Audrey went I said "At least I've still got Evan". He graduated this past June but it really hit me in March. He was considered one of the best 2 or 3 basketball players in the state so we went to a lot of games in a lot of leagues over the years. His high school team was in the 2nd round of the playoffs. The other team planned their defense around him and he had a rough game. They lost in the final seconds. When we got home he was feeling kind of bad and said something like "I guess high school's done for me. Now it's just planning for college". It hit me then that he was leaving and I had to go down to the den (aka "uke room") and close the door. During some tears I wrote this song and put it to a simple chord progression that about a thousand other songs have. The brief basketball highlights at the beginning and end of the song are from his junior year two years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZUh1FIyPLU&feature=youtu.be

What a tremendous tribute to your son Fred. Great song AND an original too. I bet he is thrilled with that. I bet you've watched that video of him scoring a thousand times. The excitement of that clip is fantastic and its just brilliant that you have that memory for all time. Great entry and it certainly sent a shiver down my spine so I can't begin to imagine what it does for you. Thank you for sharing that story with us.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
It seems that emotional song for me are related to some extent to songs about faith/God. This song has the most effect on me when I'm feeling down, as then it seems to lift me up. As UkeyDave upped the limit from three to four either for me or for himself ;), this is Help Me by Neal Morse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElbhIs-pA90

Another song and artist I've never heard of before so thanks for introducing me to yet another newbie. You seem to have a serious amount of music kit available there behind you Wim. Nice song, thanks for sharing.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
I've gone for outright emotional manipulation this week: 3 songs by the Fureys & Davey Arthur.

Euston Station is the London terminus of the line to Holyhead and the ferry to Dublin. From the 2004 album 'The Scattering':

http://youtu.be/rteXAJLXm0g

Well Paul what can I say about this. For starters you get quite a few bonus points for your unique Dylanesk voice and of course not forgetting your dry wit. I've become quite attached to my Catepillar. I was wearing head phones and the sudden emotional vocal increase in volume shook me to the core. I must remember to lower the volume sometimes. You most certainly put your heart and soul into that sir. Thanks for your entry and keep pUking. ;-)

uke4ia
09-17-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-HW_yvoZKI

I haven't been able to stop playing sad Richard Thompson songs for a full week now! After making my Season 82 video, I spent the rest of the week playing "Hide It Away" and "I Misunderstood", with an occasional "Put It There, Pal" thrown in. I hadn't tried this song until now, but this one really gives me goosebumps, so I gave it a shot. I've got the low G tuned down to really low D here.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Another Fureys cover, this time from 1982:

http://youtu.be/3X_xNmwdBBA[/video]

Paul this was just brilliant and really started to choke me up. I lost my Dad to cancer in April this year and I do miss him dearly. This was a great performance and not a song I've heard before. Just wonderful. That one is going on my list to learn. Thank you for sharing it.

greenie44
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I haven't been able to stop playing sad Richard Thompson songs for a full week now! After making my Season 82 video, I spent the rest of the week playing "Hide It Away" and "I Misunderstood", with an occasional "Put It There, Pal" thrown in. I hadn't tried this song until now, but this one really gives me goosebumps, so I gave it a shot. I've got the low G tuned down to really low D here.

I gotta tell you, one of the most emotional guitar solos I have ever heard is RT's on Calvary Cross on the Watching The Dark compilation. It sends shivers down my spine every time. But no way I could even come within a million miles of that brilliance.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 02:17 PM
The Fureys only do the first verse. I think the 2nd establishes the fact that the singer is a widower. If that doesn't get you reaching for the Kleenex, nothing will.

http://youtu.be/W5aBMCbiw0c

Another classic tear-jerker Paul. That one brings back memories of my gran who has long since gone. She used to sing that one. She always loved a good sing song and that was one of her favourites. Another heart felt performance Paul.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Marvelous teaser entry, creating exactly these deep joyful emotions we want!

There are some songs (Toto-Africa, Boston-More than a feeling ...), also german songs which I cannot express, due to slang and sound, but since 2009, when I discovered the uke, I also detected this favorite goose bump creating song:
(sorry, little bit silent)

http://youtu.be/8xo1i7fOuA4

Dark, mysterious and thoroughly entertaining. Your voice is just perfect for this one Elmann. I was enthralled by your performance of this and what a terrific song choice.

greenie44
09-17-2013, 02:41 PM
OK, here is my second entry. This is a terrific song by Lyle Lovett that hit me hard the first time I heard it, and still does. The amount of emotional terrain he covers in a handful of simple verses is staggering to me - the enormity of the story overwhelms me every time. If it weren't for the challenge of this week, I would have never attempted this one, so thanks again, Dave.

There are a couple of technical problems with the recording - the video loses synch for a few seconds at one point, and then catches up, and the sound is mainly out of one channel. But this first take caught the emotions for me, and I still managed to make it through the song pretty much intact.

http://youtu.be/mdtsI3l-C9s

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Woops!

I think I have a syndrome! I can not stop thinking about what the next song I will record tor UU ... is it normal? This happens to you too?

I dared to make a second entry, please forgive my awful English spoken, so I tried to explain the reason for my choice ... I do not know if I got it, just in case you attach an explanation here:

This song is a true story about a poet Alfonsina Storni called it suicide. Legend has it the sea that came up slowly disappearing. It is in Spanish and I put English subtitles, but I have a song that is so beautiful and emotional worth of know the lyrics. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VP0YdrER_o

Hugs

Sara

Wow an entry in Spanish AND I got a mention. I was so mesmerised by how beautiful it sounded in Spanish that I didn't even bother reading the English translation even though I don't speak a word of Spanish. That was very beautiful and highly emotional. Thank you for sharing it with us and also your great explanation in English at the start of the video. By the way, it is perfectly normal to spend lots of time thinking about your next song entry. :-)

ukuleledaddy
09-17-2013, 04:53 PM
UkeyDave, your host video was wonderful. There's no love like the love for your children. I used to photograph weddings and after my first daughter was born I couldn't help choking up every time a bride was walked down the aisle. I don't how I'm going to keep my composure when it's my turn.

Unfortunately I go out of town for the rest of the week starting tomorrow. I really wanted to participate this week. There are three songs I tried out the past couple of days which always get me but none of them sounded right and I just don't have the time this week to work on them.

Great stuff so far. I'm really enjoying this season.

TCK
09-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Shoot Daddy-o, I have gone and played all my real goose bump songs and I am sitting here with nothing (well, I got one)- Watcha got?
UkeyDave, your host video was wonderful. There's no love like the love for your children. I used to photograph weddings and after my first daughter was born I couldn't help choking up every time a bride was walked down the aisle. I don't how I'm going to keep my composure when it's my turn.

Unfortunately I go out of town for the rest of the week starting tomorrow. I really wanted to participate this week. There are three songs I tried out the past couple of days which always get me but none of them sounded right and I just don't have the time this week to work on them.

Jazzbanjorex
09-17-2013, 06:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lr7dq0uQ3g

I can't find a reason why this song fit this season but I'll think of something.

thesillydave
09-17-2013, 06:54 PM
mr. pressler was an old man, a next door neighbor,
the first person i went fishing with, a man i sat with after his wife died, a friend of mine when i was 10.
this is for him. i remember him fondly.

http://youtu.be/JPq6FVKK2EY
thanks ukeydave for getting me to do this.

ukuleledaddy
09-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Shoot Daddy-o, I have gone and played all my real goose bump songs and I am sitting here with nothing (well, I got one)- Watcha got?

Man Dave, I'd love to get one in. It's a very tough week. Maybe I'll do one when I get back next week and land it on Misfit Island.
They may not mean anything to anyone else, but here's my big 3. They get me every single time.
1. The Things We've Handed Down by Marc Cohn
2. Blood Brothers by Springsteen
3. Walk On by U2, not the studio version but the live version they did for the Tribute To Heroes album which was broadcast shortly after 9/11.

09-17-2013, 07:58 PM
really enjoying this season. FABULOUS songs and videos all the way.

can't wait to hear a bit of David Soul. ;-)
be careful what you ask for! :uhoh: here's my FOURTH :wtf: video for this season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmuoL-S83hw

This was the first time to actually hit record and sang the whole song through no retakes just went with it.
ok that's actually from a little discussion from last season, about how many takes people were doing, especially when they were posting with the last minute of the season in sight and didn't wanna miss the deadline... anyway BLAH i just wanna say this comment is now my mantra, my motto in ukulele-video-posting life... i normally say, ooh i'll do another take, (and then another, and another)... looking for truer singing, or cleaner chord changes, or to slow the tempo down a bit, or whatever i think needs doing (usually all of that and more!), but for me, it was very liberating tonight to just go for it and stop when i'd done it all the way through without dropping the uke or whatever! and better even than just being zen about it all, was being able to be zen AFTER JUST ONE TAKE! (wobbly singing and clunky chord changes and all!*) YAY! http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/lyndabeth/emoticons%20and%20mini%20anims%20etc/av-39.gif

*i can do a million takes and STILL have wobbly singing and clunky chord changes, so the first-all-the-way-through rule is good for me, saves me a load of time - i could do the housework with that time... oh no hold on http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/lyndabeth/emoticons%20and%20mini%20anims%20etc/Tuvok.jpg

thesillydave
09-17-2013, 08:08 PM
my video is taking fooooorrrreeeevvvverrr to load......might just have to re-do it...
issues with youtube......grrrrrrr!

ukuleledaddy
09-17-2013, 08:17 PM

be careful what you ask for! :uhoh: here's my FOURTH :wtf: video for this season

ok that's actually from a little discussion from last season, about how many takes people were doing, especially when they were posting with the last minute of the season in sight and didn't wanna miss the deadline... anyway BLAH i just wanna say this comment is now my mantra, my motto in ukulele-video-posting life... i normally say, ooh i'll do another take, (and then another, and another)... looking for truer singing, or cleaner chord changes, or to slow the tempo down a bit, or whatever i think needs doing (usually all of that and more!), but for me, it was very liberating tonight to just go for it and stop when i'd done it all the way through without dropping the uke or whatever! and better even than just being zen about it all, was being able to be zen AFTER JUST ONE TAKE! (wobbly singing and clunky chord changes and all!*) YAY! http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/lyndabeth/emoticons%20and%20mini%20anims%20etc/av-39.gif

*i can do a million takes and STILL have wobbly singing and clunky chord changes, so the first-all-the-way-through rule is good for me, saves me a load of time - i could do the housework with that time... oh no hold on http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/lyndabeth/emoticons%20and%20mini%20anims%20etc/Tuvok.jpg

I thought this was wonderful. Your voice here is just beautiful.
Also, I wanted to say that this is also my modus operandi. I've bee a stay at home dad for almost seven years (wow that's a long time) and I constantly struggle with ukulele vs. house work. Ukulele often wins, though to get through the guilt I post whatever take I can finally get all the way through, which is often nothing I'm happy with, except for the joy of participating in these seasons.

09-17-2013, 08:34 PM
I thought this was wonderful. Your voice here is just beautiful.
Also, I wanted to say that this is also my modus operandi. I've bee a stay at home dad for almost seven years (wow that's a long time) and I constantly struggle with ukulele vs. house work. Ukulele often wins, though to get through the guilt I post whatever take I can finally get all the way through, which is often nothing I'm happy with, except for the joy of participating in these seasons.
thank you for the lovely feedback. i just did a quick double check on some of your vids, i would never have guessed you were going with "first takes regardless", that has got to be a reflection on your ukelele awesomeness :worship:

if we ever do drop a uke... or a bum note... hey just don't drop that new uke from doug! :iwant: ... if we DO make a mistake... not that we ever will, but you know, just in case :uhoh: ... i'm gonna think, well it's what i thought tonight with a bit of warble and super delay while i hesitated over a chord change!... i'm gonna think if my mistakes can make a ukelele newbie realise they don't have to be super perfect to post a video and have a shed load of fun over here, those mistakes are a GOOD thing :cool:

TCK
09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Got off to a bit of a rocky start, but I think we had a solid finish.
Davey- if you would not mind, this is the entry from the Kid and his special lady friend. Hope it pushes the goosebumpety meter. Wish I had recorded the take where I said your name...but alas, that button is tricky.
Not a sad song...no story to go with it other than the one we are living.
OCCUPY CLOVERDALE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mKxox_CfpI&feature=youtu.be
Old number 233 with apologies to 23 Skidoo. Could not hold it back anymore mate.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Here's my entry no. 2

Graeme Miles was born in Kent but moved to the North East with his job, first to Tyneside then to Teesside. He fell in love with the area and set out to document it in song. He eventually wrote over 300 songs celebrating every aspect of the area, the industry along the River Tees, the people and the beautiful countryside nearby. I met him once briefly and found him, as he was described by most people, a quiet unassuming man. Sadly he died earlier this year of cancer and at Whitby Folk Week this August just passed, there was a concert in memory of his life and work. It was a very emotional occasion and I found this song particularly emotional, so I felt I just had to give it a go. It's one of his lyrical songs about the peace to be found when surrounded by beautiful countryside and although it was almost certainly written about the North York Moors, one of our National Parks and practically on my doorstep, it is written in universal terms as the best songs usually are. As something of a loner myself, I find I can really relate to this song.

http://youtu.be/36gX-ccfjqk

Thanks Geoff, another great and moving song. For me, this one was probably one of your best ever. Moving stuff and another lovely story. Your voice helped portray the emotional content for you. I've also just come to realise that I'm going to get a whole bunch of new songs to learn from this week so thank you seasonistas.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-HW_yvoZKI

Boy that was some really sweet Ukulele playing there. That low D sounded great. The overall standard this week is just incredible and its almost Ukephoric (see what I did there?). Another highly emotional entry and thanks for a great shout out. It gives me a real emotional buzz when you give my name a shout out. A bit indulgent buy hey - what the heck.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 11:51 PM
OK, here is my second entry. This is a terrific song by Lyle Lovett that hit me hard the first time I heard it, and still does. The amount of emotional terrain he covers in a handful of simple verses is staggering to me - the enormity of the story overwhelms me every time. If it weren't for the challenge of this week, I would have never attempted this one, so thanks again, Dave.

There are a couple of technical problems with the recording - the video loses synch for a few seconds at one point, and then catches up, and the sound is mainly out of one channel. But this first take caught the emotions for me, and I still managed to make it through the song pretty much intact.

http://youtu.be/mdtsI3l-C9s

I loved the gravelly voiced emotional singing and I immediately went for the repeat button after the first listening. It's incredible how these emotional songs just transform our brains and thought processes. I just loved this performance.

UkeyDave
09-17-2013, 11:57 PM

Thank you Ukuleledaddy. Stay tuned for my "finale" video at the end of the week. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about finishing it. ;-)

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 12:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lr7dq0uQ3g

I can't find a reason why this song fit this season but I'll think of something.

It is indeed a good song Rex and professionally performed too I thought. This weeks first entry that included a harmonica too I believe. Your entry also reminded me that I really must get myself a washboard. (I love those things).

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 12:27 AM
mr. pressler was an old man, a next door neighbor,
the first person i went fishing with, a man i sat with after his wife died, a friend of mine when i was 10.
this is for him. i remember him fondly.

http://youtu.be/JPq6FVKK2EY
thanks ukeydave for getting me to do this.

This was probably slightly out of your comfort zone a little Dave but I think it was well worth it. A fine tribute indeed to your friend. I found your entry very moving. Thank you for sharing it with us.

decaturcomp
09-18-2013, 12:30 AM
"I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings," is one of the top five regrets of the dying -- a sentiment that hints at the fact that people wish they'd spent less time talking about the weather and more time delving into what it is that makes their heart swell. - something I read early this morning

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 12:39 AM

"Wobbly singing and chord changes" - What on earth are you talking about. That was fantastic Lynda. You have a voice that is extremely pleasing to the ear and I didn't hear one bad chord change. I think you need your ears testing because it sound just great to me. I'm impressed that you rose to the challenge and came through with a star performance. I may have said this before (I'm losing track now with all the comments I'm making) but I also love your humour. Cheers Lynda. Now the ONLY thing you need to work on is the introduction. You forgot again didn't you? lol

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Got off to a bit of a rocky start, but I think we had a solid finish.
Davey- if you would not mind, this is the entry from the Kid and his special lady friend. Hope it pushes the goosebumpety meter. Wish I had recorded the take where I said your name...but alas, that button is tricky.
Not a sad song...no story to go with it other than the one we are living.
OCCUPY CLOVERDALE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mKxox_CfpI&feature=youtu.be
Old number 233 with apologies to 23 Skidoo. Could not hold it back anymore mate.

"Pissed off" Goose bump is fine by me. So many different emotions going on in this video. I found it joyus and uplifting. Well what can I say. Your video's are always entertaining Dave and Melissa. Another top dollar performance again from the Cloverdale Couple.

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 12:58 AM
"I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings," is one of the top five regrets of the dying -- a sentiment that hints at the fact that people wish they'd spent less time talking about the weather and more time delving into what it is that makes their heart swell. - something I read early this morning

You don't need courage - Just a Ukulele - that will do just fine :-)

xommen
09-18-2013, 01:12 AM

That was some great playing and singing there, a first take where I get through the whole song is often the best for me too. Although I think only half of my vids are first take version. I was trying to post a comment on your youtube video, as I normally do that but for some reason youtube would not let me?

wee_ginga_yin
09-18-2013, 01:21 AM
For the real shivers listen to the sublime Sandy Denny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cN2JYnBTZw) sing it with Fairport Convention.

This version is more like Moby meets Georgian chant while doing a Fairport Convention song... by the way RIchard Thompson does some tasty guitar behind Denny's vocals.

Somewhere along the line the melody was transformed to sound like it was a chant from a cosmic chain-gang and you will be hard pressed to find any sounds that vaguely resemble traditional ukulele since everything has been distorted, squeezed, pressed, wrung and chopped beyond recognition... The ballet was good though... headphone warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRK_TPvcvsM

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Hi Folks. I'm simply loving hosting this season. It really is a tremendous experience and I highly recommend it.

I just wanted to let you all know that tomorrow after a few days annual leave where I have been able to give this season my FULL attention, I am back at work. 8 hours tomorrow then three consecutive 12.5 hour night shifts. What this means in practical terms is that I will not be as quick to respond to your video entries so please bear with me. My goal is to comment on every single one but whether that is practically achievable I'm not sure. Either way I WILL most certainly enjoy watching every last one of your entries.

I have a finale video that I have made to see this season out so stay tuned for that. Can you all please make sure I have included ALL of your videos in the playlist HERE (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI1uUDfS9GhTHtTfN71gsicVCxNbx7xj3) and if not PM me.

Keep them coming and for those of you struggling with the theme don't forget you can just play a song without the need to explain why your playing it. That bit has always been optional but please DO send in a song. Remember this week is about celebrating and sharing the love of songs that move us and up to now you have NOT disappointed.

Dave

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 02:20 AM
For the real shivers listen to the sublime Sandy Denny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cN2JYnBTZw) sing it with Fairport Convention.

This version is more like Moby meets Georgian chant while doing a Fairport Convention song... by the way RIchard Thompson does some tasty guitar behind Denny's vocals.

Somewhere along the line the melody was transformed to sound like it was a chant from a cosmic chain-gang and you will be hard pressed to find any sounds that vaguely resemble traditional ukulele since everything has been distorted, squeezed, pressed, wrung and chopped beyond recognition... The ballet was good though... headphone warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRK_TPvcvsM

Another almost trance inducing quality to this unique interpretation. You must be one of the most creative and inventive seasonistas. I love your "Moby meets Georgian chant while doing a Fairport Convention song" analogy. I'd add The Tango in there for good measure. :-)

wee_ginga_yin
09-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Another almost trance inducing quality to this unique interpretation. You must be one of the most creative and inventive seasonistas. I love your "Moby meets Georgian chant while doing a Fairport Convention song" analogy. I'd add The Tango in there for good measure. :-)

It is so strange that music can elicit a physical response in your body. I wonder what is going on there,
because it happens involuntarily and you have no control over it. But I have noticed that not all people
are affected by the same piece of music, and it must be influenced by other things like upbringing or
memories.

I remember listening to the Black Watch pipe and drum band do a slow march along Alexander Street in Helsinki
and play "The flowers of the forest have aw' wee'd awe". The skirl of the pipes and the rattle of the drums (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjzfVRwr9M)
caused that tightening in the throat and shallow breathing you get when you are trying to stem the flow of tears.
Then a certain note is hit and you find yourself a grown man weeping amongst a crowd of strangers, some of whom
are unaffected by the music and look puzzled and confused by such displays of emotion.

Something that is overlooked in the West is how Estonia obtained independence from Russia through
"The singing Revolution" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm3yzSN8aVk) which just goes to show the power of music to unite people to achieve the goal
of Independence.

GinnyT11
09-18-2013, 04:08 AM

UkeyDave's theme is absolutely brilliant, in that he's asked us to be courageous in this way.

I'm having a hard time keeping up: I aim to leave at least one comment for every player, but these are not drive-by songs—they call for full attention.

greenie44
09-18-2013, 05:04 AM
Hi Folks. I'm simply loving hosting this season. It really is a tremendous experience and I highly recommend it.

I just wanted to let you all know that tomorrow after a few days annual leave where I have been able to give this season my FULL attention, I am back at work. 8 hours tomorrow then three consecutive 12.5 hour night shifts. What this means in practical terms is that I will not be as quick to respond to your video entries so please bear with me. My goal is to comment on every single one but whether that is practically achievable I'm not sure. Either way I WILL most certainly enjoy watching every last one of your entries.

I have a finale video that I have made to see this season out so stay tuned for that. Can you all please make sure I have included ALL of your videos in the playlist HERE (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI1uUDfS9GhTHtTfN71gsicVCxNbx7xj3) and if not PM me.

Keep them coming and for those of you struggling with the theme don't forget you can just play a song without the need to explain why your playing it. That bit has always been optional but please DO send in a song. Remember this week is about celebrating and sharing the love of songs that move us and up to now you have NOT disappointed.

Dave

Dave -

Thanks for the notice, and thanks for a GREAT theme this week. But, most of all, thanks for your wrm and generous comments. I know that your comments on mine really made me feel great!

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 05:33 AM
Dave -

Thanks for the notice, and thanks for a GREAT theme this week. But, most of all, thanks for your wrm and generous comments. I know that your comments on mine really made me feel great!

Hey, no problem. It's me who should be grateful to those of you willing to share your emotional songs. I feel deeply privileged and after all - playing the Uke is all about "feeling great" isn't it. Even shedding a tear can bring back some good memories sometimes. Cheers.

peewee
09-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi All,

I've been crazy busy with life, and have barely skimmed the thread, still it is such a great theme.
I worked on this entry for much longer than usual, and managed to get the first 30% or so recorded. It's a piece that always gets me in the gut, badly mangled here by yours truly. I truly hope to master this piece one day as i find it so sublime. I owe inspiration to Greenie444's beautiful Mingus piece.

Bach Prelude for Cello #1
Cue the waterworks (not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZW_e8iSQr0&feature=share&list=UURGtTtGncsPMdGF9cR5n-iQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZW_e8iSQr0&feature=share&list=UURGtTtGncsPMdGF9cR5n-iQ

decaturcomp
09-18-2013, 07:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8oakfY0yeg

greenie44
09-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Hi All,
I owe inspiration to Greenie444's beautiful Mingus piece.

Cue the waterworks (not)

Thanks for the shout out, and lovely piece that really got to me.

Oh, the subtle way you worked out Seasons leader into this one . . . . :bowdown:

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi All,

I've been crazy busy with life, and have barely skimmed the thread, still it is such a great theme.
I worked on this entry for much longer than usual, and managed to get the first 30% or so recorded. It's a piece that always gets me in the gut, badly mangled here by yours truly. I truly hope to master this piece one day as i find it so sublime. I owe inspiration to Greenie444's beautiful Mingus piece.

Cue the waterworks (not)

Well that was special. Here I was all caught up in the emotionality of such lovely playing and you go and sing "ukeyukey Dave" I almost choked on my coffee and couldn't stop laughing. Thanks peewee thatís what I call a shout out. You get full marks for originality, humour and playing ability. That was just fantastic. I've not laughed so much since attempting to sing in French which as you know I do not speak. Yes I still remember your season. That brightened my day no end.

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8oakfY0yeg

Mythology? Nice rendition of one of Johnny Cash last covers Alan. You have some dark moody lighting going on there. Doesn't quite seem right if I can't see your "hippies use side door" sign.

peewee
09-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the shout out, and lovely piece that really got to me.

Oh, the subtle way you worked out Seasons leader into this one . . . . :bowdown:

Well that was special. Here I was all caught up in the emotionality of such lovely playing and you go and sing "ukeyukey Dave" I almost choked on my coffee and couldn't stop laughing. Thanks peewee that’s what I call a shout out. You get full marks for originality, humour and playing ability. That was just fantastic. I've not laughed so much since attempting to sing in French which as you know I do not speak. Yes I still remember your season. That brightened my day no end.

thanks gents, I really do intend to learn to play this piece, but it's going to take more than a couple of run throughs, I'm afraid. Glad I got a chuckle, I actually tried to sing "ukeydave" to the whole second section but it was too damn hard. And I recall your fabulous phonetic Piaf Dave, that still cracks me up when I think of it.

bonesigh
09-18-2013, 09:29 AM
This has been one of my favorite songs to play since I first heard it. Just today this song has changed and has new meaning and gives me "chicken skin". Out of respect I never played this for open mic since I felt this was one of Gordon and Debi's songs. You'll see what I mean when ya watch the vid. Took me a bit to get through this song without tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKBmsakJclc

Barbablanca
09-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Here is my contribution this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vI0ptaj_c&feature=youtube_gdata

And here is Story Behind the Song

This song was conceived when I met Robert Jurjendal (a fabulous Estonian Guitarist) at the Baltic States Pavillion in "Expo '92" at Seville... (Though at the time I had no idea this song was on the way :) )

When he returned to Tallin, Robert and I kept in touch and began to swap cassettes (remember them?) of the music we were currently creating. One day he sent me an LP he had collaborated on by an Estonian Singer called Tonis Magi. One track in particular sent shudders up and down my spine. I knew I just had to write words for that melody. I had no idea what the original Estonian lyrics were about, but the title, translated into English as "In Some Far Field" gave me the image of soldiers posted far from home in a land in which they were unpopular... and the song wrote itself from that idea.

When he heard it, Robert informed me that the original does indeed talk of such soldiers... but without the compassion for the individual recruit I tried to express here. I would make a lousy mercenary, I wouldn't be able to stop myself thinking of the home life behind the "enemy" soldier in my sights.

Lyrics

In Some Far Field

My love you don't need me to tell you,
I'm thinking of you all back home.
Nothing else here seems to matter -
Why we came here least of all.
Even the bells here sound different;
The landscape's barren and bare.
There are no trees to match our beeches,
Our rolling hills beyond compare.

They say that we're liberators,
Then why do we need to mount guard?
Why do the locals resent us?
Why are their looks cold and hard?
We daren't go walking in the city,
Except in groups of more than three;
And they say our mates sent home in coffins,
Died defending liberty.

You ask if I keep all your letters,
Yes, and I've read each one a thousand times,
What you call "the boring details" -
Are the things that are keeping me alive.
When you next walk down our high street,
Greet everyone you meet for me.
Tell them I long to tread the cobbles,
Of a place I might never see more.

greyghost
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
A phrase I didn't expect to ever type: Here's a ukulele version of a Dream Theater song. I picked this one because I've broken down a bit every single time I've tried to sing along with it in the car. I listen to DT a lot, so that is a lot of attempts... A sad song about letting go of a spouse and trying to rebuild a life. I've been happily married for 25 years now, so this song confronts my greatest fear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2YY1wq9Qg&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
This has been one of my favorite songs to play since I first heard it. Just today this song has changed and has new meaning and gives me "chicken skin". Out of respect I never played this for open mic since I felt this was one of Gordon and Debi's songs. You'll see what I mean when ya watch the vid. Took me a bit to get through this song without tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKBmsakJclc

Janet that was quite simply, beautiful. What a lovely tribute and thank you for sharing that with us. I hope you will continue to sing that song because I for one thought your rendition was lovely. I found that very touching and moving. Condolences on the loss of your friend.

~dave~~wave~
09-18-2013, 10:41 AM

I agree, most anything Sandy sings gives me the goosebumps.

She also has the distinction of being the only guest vocalist ever to sing on a Led Zeppelin record, so "Battle of Nevermore" will stand as her memorial in perpetuity even for those who've never heard of Fairport Convention.

Another Fairport tune she wrote as well as sang was my pick this week.
The video has photos of the Sandhill Crane migration that takes place 100 west of us every spring and autumn.

http://youtu.be/yUtCOKu6Z34

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Here is my contribution this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vI0ptaj_c&feature=youtube_gdata

And here is Story Behind the Song

This song was conceived when I met Robert Jurjendal (a fabulous Estonian Guitarist) at the Baltic States Pavillion in "Expo '92" at Seville... (Though at the time I had no idea this song was on the way :) )

When he returned to Tallin, Robert and I kept in touch and began to swap cassettes (remember them?) of the music we were currently creating. One day he sent me an LP he had collaborated on by an Estonian Singer called Tonis Magi. One track in particular sent shudders up and down my spine. I knew I just had to write words for that melody. I had no idea what the original Estonian lyrics were about, but the title, translated into English as "In Some Far Field" gave me the image of soldiers posted far from home in a land in which they were unpopular... and the song wrote itself from that idea.

When he heard it, Robert informed me that the original does indeed talk of such soldiers... but without the compassion for the individual recruit I tried to express here. I would make a lousy mercenary, I wouldn't be able to stop myself thinking of the home life behind the "enemy" soldier in my sights.

Great lyrics and touching song Berni. You are the seasonista king of the originals sir. Oh yes I remember the cassette well AND vinyl (oh I do miss that crackling of a record). Loved the sentiments of the song. Thanks for this gem.

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 11:19 AM
A phrase I didn't expect to ever type: Here's a ukulele version of a Dream Theater song. I picked this one because I've broken down a bit every single time I've tried to sing along with it in the car. I listen to DT a lot, so that is a lot of attempts... A sad song about letting go of a spouse and trying to rebuild a life. I've been happily married for 25 years now, so this song confronts my greatest fear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2YY1wq9Qg&feature=youtu.be

Heartfelt and soulful performance and yet another tune I've never come across before. There is just so much music out there and so little time. Thank you for sharing.

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I agree, most anything Sandy sings gives me the goosebumps.

She also has the distinction of being the only guest vocalist ever to sing on a Led Zeppelin record, so "Battle of Nevermore" will stand as her memorial in perpetuity even for those who've never heard of Fairport Convention.

Another Fairport tune she wrote as well as sang was my pick this week.
The video has photos of the Sandhill Crane migration that takes place 100 west of us every spring and autumn.

http://youtu.be/yUtCOKu6Z34

Nice singing and strumming Dave. I love seeing all your ukes on the wall. Thatís a lovely sounding Uke your playing too. Great use of photography. Thanks for posting.

UkeyDave
09-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I was watching TV earlier and this song came on. When I hear Marianne Faithful sing "As Tears Go By" I just melt. I really haven't got a clue why because it has no personal meaning to me and I was probably only about 6 or 7 when it was released but it just moves me almost to tears. I didn't get the same vibe when I sang it so it must be Mariannes voice that does it. I wish I could do it justice. The chords are easy so I learned it in about two attempts and filmed it on my web cam which is pretty crappy in artificial light. It was just an impulse thing to post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T80GujCpvXU

we tigers
09-18-2013, 12:45 PM
So, it's early 2005 and we are in our car. We have recently lost our second pregnancy, this time by EUG, which led to a grueling time in hospital for Saskia and a painful recovery at home. This song comes on, and we both break down. The melody that opens New Slang just echoed our pain and our longing, so much so that we couldn't hear it anymore and actually haven't until now. Practicing and playing it has proved very therapeutical.

This is our version of The Shins' New Slang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OftpTnrAX8&feature=share&list=UUB3-3J6EjfJg9hKPxCIPtTQ
Ukulele - Glockenspiel - Vocals - Ubass - Tambourine

Barbablanca
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
I took another break from this big translation I am doing to record another original song. People have said that they know where I am coming from on this one... and that's sad. The truth is that the physical side of a relationship can be a minefield. This song outlines how I felt years ago when a relationship I valued greatly started to fall apart as she drifted further and further from me physically.

I'd love to do a full "soul" version of this. I imagine a Wilson Picket type arrangement with Stax saxes and soulful backing singers. But here is the 8 String Uke version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvEr9J1MaTo&feature=youtube_gdata

And here are the lyrics:

I WANT U 2 WANT ME

I want you to want me
I want you to want me
I want you to want me
And come on strong.
Donít want you giving yourself to me,
Thatís not the way itís supposed to be.
I want you to want me.... all night long.

As the autumn winds kill off the flowers,
As the first frost bites into the bone.
We stare across the distance of the hours
The ice now finely turning into stone.

CHORUS

The wind howls its complaints into the distance,
The window panes all shake rattle and roll.
We follow the line of least resistance.
And dig ourselves still deeper in this hole.

CHORUS

Like Lear on the heath my mind is raging,
Futile threats I canít put into words.
This theatre is absurd that we are staging,
As meaningless as talking to the birds.

CHORUS (x 2)

Hochapeafarm
09-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi, everyone! Hey, UkeyDave -- thank you for hosting this week's Season -- I LOVE your theme! So, this entry could have been used for last week's Season, too, as this song is about heartbreak...but, per your theme this week, it will also fit as this song has always moved me so much. The song came out during a time when I was going through...yup, you guessed it -- a lot of heartbreak!!! So, the first time I recorded it (yesterday), I did cry! But, after having to re-record a GAZILLION times (you know me!), I was able to get it done with dry eyes. :-) Here is Jewel's beautiful "Foolish Games" song off of her album 'Pieces of You' (1997). Can't wait to get to everyone else's entries -- and UkeyDave -- thanks, again, for being our host this week! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3odwkxhUvA

Jazzbanjorex
09-18-2013, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_n-z8VXn4

Jazzbanjorex
09-18-2013, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPRxCQLFSg&feature=youtu.be

09-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Now the ONLY thing you need to work on is the introduction. You forgot again didn't you? lol

thank you for the lovely and very encouraging positive comments. and yes i did forget! i forgot a full four times out of four! if my intention had been NOT to do the intro, i'd be doing brilliantly :cool:

I was trying to post a comment on your youtube video, as I normally do that but for some reason youtube would not let me?
the internet is a strange mysterious force with a mind of its own, the same goes for computers generally, printers are just an entirely alien species, and technology generally tends to do my head in. i think you just have to pat yourself on the back if you get through the day without setting light to these things and chucking them out the window. (i'm not quite sure how to DO that with the whole internet... :uhoh: )

Cue the waterworks (not)

wow. i was just amazed and in awe of this, and then you did the ukey dave thing and i was laughing out loud! awesomeness+++ on both counts!

decaturcomp - wow again. pabrizzer did a version of this for another season, i love both your versions, i can listen to this song all day

we tigers very moving. thank you guys and everyone for sharing stories if there was story to share. i had a look at the songs i've done for this season to see if there were stories that might be shared, there weren't really, but just reading through the four song TITLES brought a lump to my throat, so i don't know how this old music lark works BUT IT'S POWERFUL STUFF

re. she moved through the fair - here is a version i really love, it's by all about eve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052DGZh2_3s

uke4ia
09-18-2013, 05:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTRdtk42mp0

Aaarrrrgh! Thursday be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, and ye can keelhaul me as a scurvy knave if that noteworthy occasion not be giving me goosebumps! So raise yer grog and shake yer booty and show ye some respect, for I am a Pirate King!

mythinformed
09-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Excellent theme this week Dave and I'm sure your Inspirational comments for the entries have been greatly appreciated. Great things come from Inspiration and the entries so far have proven this oh so evidently !!

I'm still milling around a thousand toons in my head that I want to do but I'm a bit like Doctor Spock and find 'Emotion' totally Illogical !! :D

Hang on I feel this stiff upper lip dropping a little so .........watch this space !! :)

TheUkeBloke
09-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Ok - this season calls for emotional, then to me this song is definitely that. Although I did manage to fit "Ukey Dave" into the first verse for you Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsk9iG9g6qA

max2173
09-19-2013, 04:49 AM
I almost didn't do this. This is the song that was played at my dad's funeral when I was 6 years old. I wanted to be able to do it more justice but in the end I think the emotion is worth more than the music in this case.

I love this season, music is the thing we dance to at the best of times, and the thing that is there during our lowest lows. This song has caused me more tears than any other, and I still love it and smile when I hear it.

http://youtu.be/bJm-kw_asvI

GinnyT11
09-19-2013, 05:09 AM
I almost didn't do this. This is the song that was played at my dad's funeral when I was 6 years old. I wanted to be able to do it more justice but in the end I think the emotion is worth more than the music in this case.
I love this season, music is the thing we dance to at the best of times, and the thing that is there during our lowest lows. This song has caused me more tears than any other, and I still love it and smile when I hear it.

Max, I always like to watch your videos—they're always brimming with energy. This one is brimming with heart, and I was very touched. Thanks so much for sharing it here.

DWitt
09-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Haven't heard this song in a long time. I enjoyed your version very much—thanks for this!

Hi, everyone! Hey, UkeyDave -- thank you for hosting this week's Season -- I LOVE your theme! So, this entry could have been used for last week's Season, too, as this song is about heartbreak...but, per your theme this week, it will also fit as this song has always moved me so much. The song came out during a time when I was going through...yup, you guessed it -- a lot of heartbreak!!! So, the first time I recorded it (yesterday), I did cry! But, after having to re-record a GAZILLION times (you know me!), I was able to get it done with dry eyes. :-) Here is Jewel's beautiful "Foolish Games" song off of her album 'Pieces of You' (1997). Can't wait to get to everyone else's entries -- and UkeyDave -- thanks, again, for being our host this week! :-)

DWitt
09-19-2013, 05:22 AM
A second entry from me. I've got a third in mind, if I can find the time. That one is more positive, I promise.

This one . . . it's not a feel-good classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps41kRa7OCg

decaturcomp
09-19-2013, 05:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35Wem4itew

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 07:02 AM
So, it's early 2005 and we are in our car. We have recently lost our second pregnancy, this time by EUG, which led to a grueling time in hospital for Saskia and a painful recovery at home. This song comes on, and we both break down. The melody that opens New Slang just echoed our pain and our longing, so much so that we couldn't hear it anymore and actually haven't until now. Practicing and playing it has proved very therapeutical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OftpTnrAX8&feature=share&list=UUB3-3J6EjfJg9hKPxCIPtTQ

That Glockenspiel sounds wonderful and I think it is excellently suited to this weeks theme.That was a lovely song and I love your subtle use of multi-tracking and cool laid back uke playing. I'm really pleased that you found playing it therapeutic because that was an important factor for me in my choice of theme this week. I have also noted the spread of love coming to you and others from seasonistas this week and that is an unexpected good thing that seems to be emerging as the week goes on. Great performance as always from you both.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 07:11 AM
I took another break from this big translation I am doing to record another original song. People have said that they know where I am coming from on this one... and that's sad. The truth is that the physical side of a relationship can be a minefield. This song outlines how I felt years ago when a relationship I valued greatly started to fall apart as she drifted further and further from me physically.

I'd love to do a full "soul" version of this. I imagine a Wilson Picket type arrangement with Stax saxes and soulful backing singers. But here is the 8 String Uke version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvEr9J1MaTo&feature=youtube_gdata

Another great song from our expert lyricist. Great topic to write about. That hat reminds me of Guy Fawkes (Now there's a great title for a song). Perhaps you should write a song about him and wear the hat whilst performing it. (Sorry - couldn't resist) ;-)

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 07:25 AM

Hi Chelle. I love the intensity of your performance. For me, your enthusiasm and focus shines through whenever you have that Uke in your hand. I also love your infectious laugh at the end. Great stuff. Thank you.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 07:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_n-z8VXn4

I thought your singing on this was exceptional Rex. The emotionality in your voice gave it a special edge. Great song. I really enjoyed that and this registered high on my goosebumpometer. A nice tribute Rex.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 07:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPRxCQLFSg&feature=youtu.be

Some neat strumming there on number 3 Rex.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 07:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTRdtk42mp0

Aaarrrrgh! Thursday be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, and ye can keelhaul me as a scurvy knave if that noteworthy occasion not be giving me goosebumps! So raise yer grog and shake yer booty and show ye some respect, for I am a Pirate King!

Question: Why are Pirates called Pirates? Answer: Because they Aaaaaarrrrrrr I'm going to take you to task on your ability to wear a patch. Next time can you wear it with your eye in a central position because it looks like you have an eye half way up your forehead. lol You definitely need to work on your dressing up skills meharty. That was so emotional I think I cried ALL THE WAY THROUGH with laughter. You get bonus points on top of bonus points for humour. Just great. Now go away and adjust that bloody eye patch. I love the surprises being thrown up this week. Just brilliant.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Excellent theme this week Dave and I'm sure your Inspirational comments for the entries have been greatly appreciated. Great things come from Inspiration and the entries so far have proven this oh so evidently !!

I'm still milling around a thousand toons in my head that I want to do but I'm a bit like Doctor Spock and find 'Emotion' totally Illogical !! :D

Hang on I feel this stiff upper lip dropping a little so .........watch this space !! :)

Hahahaha - well thats the general idea sir. Go for it.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Ok - this season calls for emotional, then to me this song is definitely that. Although I did manage to fit "Ukey Dave" into the first verse for you Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsk9iG9g6qA

I liked your playing technique on this. I never cease to be amazed by the innovative nature of seasonistas. Dropping my name in at the beginning got me reaching for the replay button ('did he just say Ukey Dave?"). Hahaha. Nice entry David.

DWitt
09-19-2013, 08:56 AM
This is just fabulous. Thanks so much for doing it.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 09:00 AM

http://youtu.be/bJm-kw_asvI

I think the emotion is worth more than the music in this case too Max (I hope your name is Max). That quotation will stick with me. Very profound and mature words to come from such a young man. A fine performance and lovely tribute to your dad. I lost my dad a few months ago and miss him far more than I could have ever imagined. Thank you for sharing

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 09:20 AM
A second entry from me. I've got a third in mind, if I can find the time. That one is more positive, I promise.

This one . . . it's not a feel-good classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps41kRa7OCg

When you said "it's not a feel good classic" you weren't kidding were you? My word what depressing lyrics. I like your voice but I'm really struggling to find anything good to say about the song. Uplifting it definitely aint. Nonetheless I thank you sir for giving me such a thought provoking philosophical challenge which this song definitely IS.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 09:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35Wem4itew

I am very envious of your playing ability Alan. That was played and sung beautifully. I love the way you sung and played it so gently to match the mood of the song. Great work sir.

peewee
09-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Here's another Wire song - Outdoor Miner - (http://youtu.be/JWPBuoFs3Mg) it gives me the old goosebumps for sure. Don't know why, the lyrics are absolute nonsense - or maybe that's why..I always thought it had something to do with a fellow working at a serpentine quarry, but it turns out to be a plant pest..maybe.. would have been good for garden week!

I wanted to go full multitrack on this, but there's no time. Here's the Gugug version (http://youtu.be/mgTFuqB91DI) if you want to hear a good one

background info
http://www.stereosociety.com/outdoorminer.shtml

http://youtu.be/_uXVm56ofwI

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Here's another Wire song - Outdoor Miner - (http://youtu.be/JWPBuoFs3Mg) it gives me the old goosebumps for sure. Don't know why, the lyrics are absolute nonsense - or maybe that's why..I always thought it had something to do with a fellow working at a serpentine quarry, but it turns out to be a plant pest..maybe.. would have been good for garden week!

I wanted to go full multitrack on this, but there's no time. Here's the Gugug version (http://youtu.be/mgTFuqB91DI) if you want to hear a good one

background info
http://www.stereosociety.com/outdoorminer.shtml

Great stuff again and excellent Ukeing Peewee. Not familiar with this song so thanks for introducing me to it. I'm a big fan of GUGUG. Those guys are just brilliant. You ALMOST managed to sneak that "ukeydave" in without me noticing. Loving your work (and your sense of humour). Thanks.

alemarco
09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
I've been grading papers all day, which makes me really grumpy. And the best remedy for that is ukulele and the Seasons!

At college, I met my best friend and during those years we shared wonderful times and got each other through some really difficult ones. After graduation I moved to Boston and she moved to SanFran, so we never see each other. "Friend of Mine" by Kate Wolf reminds me how much I miss her every time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voMQSlcTEPQ

Tootler
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Entry No 3

One of the things that revived my interest in folk music after more than 30 years was discovering Northumbrian Piper, Kathryn Tickell. The opening track of her "Northumbrian Collection" Album was the tune "Rothbury Hills" written in the 1940s by another Northumbrian Piper, Jack Armstrong. I was bowled over by it, it was just a magical tune beautifully played by a superb musician. It inspired me a few years later to write a tune of my own about the Cleveland Hills which are practically on my doorstep. I have put the two tunes together here played on tenor recorder with ukulele accompaniment. The ending is a little untidy & I thought about re recording but then I thought, just go with it. I've just bought a new bit of kit for recording which is making multi tracking a lot easier and I'm still learning to use it properly.

http://youtu.be/1w7w2__6i64

09-19-2013, 03:19 PM
max - beautiful song, lovely vid

bonesigh
09-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Whew, took me a while to get caught up on the season even though I was just on the other day. There's some great songs on here and plenty of emotion! I'm loving every minute of it. Wanted to say thanks to all for your nice posts on YT too! Hope we get a lot more entries cuz I love the songs that make me feel (: Thanks to you UkeeDave.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I've been grading papers all day, which makes me really grumpy. And the best remedy for that is ukulele and the Seasons!

At college, I met my best friend and during those years we shared wonderful times and got each other through some really difficult ones. After graduation I moved to Boston and she moved to SanFran, so we never see each other. "Friend of Mine" by Kate Wolf reminds me how much I miss her every time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voMQSlcTEPQ

Your voice has a really sweet, haunting and moving quality to it. That really got my goosebumpometer activated. Beautifully strummed too. Wow this week is going to be impossible to judge. Thank you for a lovely entry.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Entry No 3

One of the things that revived my interest in folk music after more than 30 years was discovering Northumbrian Piper, Kathryn Tickell. The opening track of her "Northumbrian Collection" Album was the tune "Rothbury Hills" written in the 1940s by another Northumbrian Piper, Jack Armstrong. I was bowled over by it, it was just a magical tune beautifully played by a superb musician. It inspired me a few years later to write a tune of my own about the Cleveland Hills which are practically on my doorstep. I have put the two tunes together here played on tenor recorder with ukulele accompaniment. The ending is a little untidy & I thought about re recording but then I thought, just go with it. I've just bought a new bit of kit for recording which is making multi tracking a lot easier and I'm still learning to use it properly.

http://youtu.be/1w7w2__6i64

Geoff - that was quite simply - beautiful. It sent a shiver down my spine. Just wonderful. Thank you.

UkeyDave
09-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Whew, took me a while to get caught up on the season even though I was just on the other day. There's some great songs on here and plenty of emotion! I'm loving every minute of it. Wanted to say thanks to all for your nice posts on YT too! Hope we get a lot more entries cuz I love the songs that make me feel (: Thanks to you UkeeDave.

Thank you.
"I love the songs that make me feel" Wow Janet - Thats a great quotation.

decaturcomp
09-20-2013, 02:52 AM
I am thinking of this as catharsis week. Had to head out for an extra ration of facial tissues to continue listening.

TCK
09-20-2013, 04:39 AM
Every week is catharsis week innit?
I am thinking of this as catharsis week. Had to head out for an extra ration of facial tissues to continue listening.

we tigers
09-20-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm working my way through the playlist with a big box of tissues by my side. Man, what a season.
I tend to switch back to the thread from the youtube playlist so I can read the stories as well.

This is a special week, folks.

we tigers
09-20-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm trying to find a way to get Jesus' Blood by Gavin Bryars done...
Not going to happen, I think.

frisbee fred
09-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Entry #2. This song is special for a couple of reasons. We had the real pleasure of hosting Berni Armstrong and his family this summer. He slept in my oldest daughter's bedroom (she is a teacher in Milwaukee). She used to ride horses and compete and her competition ribbons were hanging in her room. He asked me about them and I told him we used to have two horses. We have a horse barn that is no longer used for horses now that Meredith is gone. One night we had a campfire going and were all playing and singing songs. He came up with the melody to this song that evening. The next morning I wake up and he had the lyrics. It's a beautiful song that captures the spirit of a young girl growing up. I also think it's interesting that he was inspired to write a song by the only member of my family that he has never met....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WbPvOPh24o&feature=youtu.be

The Empty Stable by Berni Armstrong

They took her to a horse show when she was just a kid,
She dreamed on day that she would win her spurs.
She showed her folks her passion was not just a passing phase,
And one day she got a horse that was all hers.

But the stable doorís now bolted and the horse is long gone,
The stall is piled with firewood today.
The little girl whose eyes shone bright when she won her first rosette,
Has grown so fast and upped and gone away.

Girl and beast together became the ideal team;
She thought sheíd never have a better friend.
Maiden novice, limit, they won everything in sight,
The cups and prizes never seemed to end.

CHORUS

But the day came round when she began to put away childish things;
The thrill of competition lost its shine.
She grew to a young woman and her horse was soon forgot,
Alone in his dark stable he would pine.

CHORUS

But sheíd learned that life is for the ones who learn to stay the course,
Who rise up to the challenge of the track,
Who keep their eyes on the winning post whatever that might be,
Who donít spend their whole life simply looking back.

CHORUS

bonesigh
09-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Second entry...on a happier note! Not my best key (should have changed it) but here it is. My wedding song, the one we think of as "Our song". We got married in Hawaii and it was just a beautiful intimate wedding! Sorry for the cruddy video. I was filming the T.V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSsA5D1yak

pabrizzer
09-20-2013, 09:22 AM
It is beautiful. I came across it when checking out Tom Waits here on yt.
It is one that weegingayin would do so well.
I may give it a went as I do really like it. It is listed as being arranged by Gavin Bryars as the melody is actually taken from the song that the homeless person is singing - recorded while doing a production on homeless people. Some irony there given the song title.
It really needs a string quartet.

UkeyDave
09-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Entry #2. This song is special for a couple of reasons. We had the real pleasure of hosting Berni Armstrong and his family this summer. He slept in my oldest daughter's bedroom (she is a teacher in Milwaukee). She used to ride horses and compete and her competition ribbons were hanging in her room. He asked me about them and I told him we used to have two horses. We have a horse barn that is no longer used for horses now that Meredith is gone. One night we had a campfire going and were all playing and singing songs. He came up with the melody to this song that evening. The next morning I wake up and he had the lyrics. It's a beautiful song that captures the spirit of a young girl growing up. I also think it's interesting that he was inspired to write a song by the only member of my family that he has never met....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WbPvOPh24o&feature=youtu.be

The Empty Stable by Berni Armstrong

Thanks Fred. 10 bonus points coming your way. I really should be careful what I wish for shouldn't I? It did give me a laugh though. Well - we now have a seasonista writing a song performed by another seasonista. Just great. I'm sure you are thrilled. Great lyrics from the master lyricist (Berni). Thanks for sharing along with the story.

UkeyDave
09-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Now that would be interesting to hear.

glass
09-20-2013, 09:43 AM
So I got two, I am not sure why this gives me goose bumps but it just does...

so youtube says its an infringement, working on getting it published with sound

glass
09-20-2013, 09:56 AM
So hopefully this one will upload without a dispute....

it gives me goose bumps as it was sung at my BIL funeral....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNSC6eYC9ko

UkeyDave
09-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Second entry...on a happier note! Not my best key (should have changed it) but here it is. My wedding song, the one we think of as "Our song". We got married in Hawaii and it was just a beautiful intimate wedding! Sorry for the cruddy video. I was filming the T.V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSsA5D1yak

Great that you shared some of your wedding video with us Janet. It surely doesn't come much better than Hawaii for your wedding location does it. Nice songs and I'm so glad the birds joined in with your singing too. Thanks again for sharing this personal stuff. I hope your hubby wasn't too upset with you for including the make up shots. ;-)

greenie44
09-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Looks like I am not the only one here who wants to lighten the mood a bit. As I mention, happy is an emotion too, and this song has given me goosebumps from a deep feeling of warmth from the first time I heard it. Like another of my entries, I would have never thought of doing this without the spur of this Season's theme, so thanks again Dave. This is the first time I have ever done 3 entries.

The song is from a wonderful album of the same name, Morning Bugle - look for it if you can. I even managed to get in a point-plea with a single lyric change. Hope you all like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFbxsT2358&feature=youtu.be

laura809
09-20-2013, 10:14 AM
This week's theme has really brought out some excellent performances. I was almost too intimidated to post anything because most of the songs that came to mind weren't ones that I thought I could even half way sing. One of the most emotional albums I can think of is Jewel's Pieces of You. I've never been able to sing any of it very well, but it has always been one of my favorites because of the raw emotional vocal performances and songwriting. I also associate the album with a very emotional time in my own life, because it was all I felt like listening to for a few months following a miscarriage. A friend of mine even expressed concern that the album was making me more depressed. Even though I really wish I could do this one more justice with my vocal, this season was a great excuse to keep working on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCRGazFa24k

UkeyDave
09-20-2013, 10:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNSC6eYC9ko

I love your camera. That’s a real clear crisp picture it produces.The children chattering in the background totally oblivious to your performance made me smile too because it reminds me of me when I'm looking after my grandkids and they just totally ignore my stunning uke playing ;-) I hope that isn't your second performance because I can't find the first one so assume that was the one you had problems uploading. Another intense performance and I like the colour of your uke too.

frisbee fred
09-20-2013, 11:15 AM

If I was going to do a third one this would have been it. I love this song and you did a great job with it.

UkeyDave
09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Looks like I am not the only one here who wants to lighten the mood a bit. As I mention, happy is an emotion too, and this song has given me goosebumps from a deep feeling of warmth from the first time I heard it. Like another of my entries, I would have never thought of doing this without the spur of this Season's theme, so thanks again Dave. This is the first time I have ever done 3 entries.

The song is from a wonderful album of the same name, Morning Bugle - look for it if you can. I even managed to get in a point-plea with a single lyric change. Hope you all like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFbxsT2358&feature=youtu.be

Loving the T Shirt and the fact that itís the first time you've entered three. The single lyric change was very neatly done too.Not familiiar with this song so thanks for introducing it.