Which soft case to get? Mono v. Reunion Blues v. Any others? I want to downsize.

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hi All, after years of getting ukes that come with cases, I have piled up a collection of excellent Uke Crazy and other cases. I am going to sell off quite a few in hopes of keeping just one case for my tenors and one for my concert. Do I keep my heavy Uke Crazy case with hygrometer and thermometer inside, or can I be safe with a Mono or Reunion Blues case.

The hard shells are super heavy so I can drop 2 pounds easily by going to a padded soft case.

Wondering if the Mono or Reunion Blues or Fusion or some other higher end soft type case with dense foam can offer excellent protection. Have you seen the videos dropping those Reunion Blues cases with instruments off the roof?

Anyone have any of these softer and much lighter cases and what is your experience with them? My Uke Crazy has a nice thick inside that fits any of my ukes and holds them snug. I think the Reunion Blues looks like it might be one of the best soft cases for my needs but curious of others with them and their feedback.

If you have photos you can post of your uke inside the open case that would be great! I'm leaning toward Reunion Blues to be my one and only case and maybe keep one hard shell uke crazy to ship builders to send my uke back so I'm not getting more cases!

I rest my CASE!

Tnx all.

I have not tried the Reunion Blues case yet, but I have had a few years with the Mono case. I have taken it to Australia and back a few times and felt very confident with it's protection. It makes a world of a difference walking with it on your back. Extremely light and heavily padded.

I have a Reunion Blues case, but not for ukulele. It is for my trumpet. Love it and it is one of the best gig bags I've ever owned. If you do get a Reunion Blues bag, I look forward to you doing a review on it.

I have not tried the Reunion Blues case yet, but I have had a few years with the Mono case. I have taken it to Australia and back a few times and felt very confident with it's protection. It makes a world of a difference walking with it on your back. Extremely light and heavily padded.

Thanks. Have any photos you can post of your uke in the case? Curious of the inside. Not sure anyone local has them but am going to check their website and see if someone local carries them. Appreciate the feedback!

I'm going to Australia next year and definitely don't want to lug my Uke Crazy. Awesome case but heavy to do traveling with.

I have a Reunion Blues case, but not for ukulele. It is for my trumpet. Love it and it is one of the best gig bags I've ever owned. If you do get a Reunion Blues bag, I look forward to you doing a review on it.

I will definitely do one. Throwing guitars off a roof and having the camera rolling and seeing them open the case is one hell of a sales tactic. Now they seem to land nearly flat but still, the shock on concrete you would think would snap that neck or crack it for sure. I wonder how many they tossed off roofs and did NOT SHOW? :)

I will have to ask them that. Hehe.

I think Gary has a couple of nice cases. I have the RB and I personally like the backpack style vs. over one shoulder of the Mono

Here are some photos of my Reunion Blues case, concert size, with my Talsma custom semi-hollow bodied electric uke. There is a nice big pocket on the outside for cables. The backpack straps are heavily padded, so it is kind of thick. But it seems very sturdy, and I had sent this case to Dave Talsma to protect the uke in shipping, and it worked great. The electric is thinner than your average uke, so I usually add a bit of padding under the body to fill in the space so the neck can rest level on the neck rest. If I ever had to check a uke at an airport, I would choose this case.

–Lori

Attachments

• rb_open.jpg
    rb_open.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 110
  • rb_closed.jpg
    rb_closed.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

I have a RB Continental case for baritone, tenor and concert sizes (i.e. three RB Continentals). I have a single Mono80 tenor case, also.

For quick run into a uke meeting, I could use the Mono or the RBC. The Mono case is decidedly slimmer and "lower profile". It is slightly lighter. It's outer "skin" is thinner and more tear-able.

For serious uke protection, e.g. in back of my SUV, RBC every time. It's a more substantial case. I'd use an RBC over a hard case (e.g. Fremont) every time.

If I could have one case. Any case in the world, but only one case... RB Continental.

Lori--I've never seen your Talsma before. That uke is insanely good! I love it!

Last edited:
I have a Reunion Blues case, which I like a lot. And the good news is that a Super Tenor fits great in it.

Well, I've never used a mono case, but noticed many of the pro-level players at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival were using them. I think Sarah Maisel uses one for her DaSilva.

Rick Turner has said how he is very happy with his leather RB mandolin case for his ukes - and having seen them, they are both beautiful cases, and look like they will do a great job protecting the instruments.

I bought a used case from Gerald Ross here in UU - tenor size, and it had a problem with one of the clips, so Gerald put a different connector on. Looks very strange, but works exactly as it should. And it does protect. I would not feel the slightest bit shy about putting my Sceptre in the case to bring it around with me.

But I'm not sure how well any of the soft cases would work around here in the winter, with the humidity dropping to as low as 8-10% sometimes. So I'll use the RB when it is warmer, but stick with my hard shell cases for at-home every day storage.

-Kurt​

Well, I've never used a mono case, but noticed many of the pro-level players at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival were using them. I think Sarah Maisel uses one for her DaSilva.

Rick Turner has said how he is very happy with his leather RB mandolin case for his ukes - and having seen them, they are both beautiful cases, and look like they will do a great job protecting the instruments.

I bought a used case from Gerald Ross here in UU - tenor size, and it had a problem with one of the clips, so Gerald put a different connector on. Looks very strange, but works exactly as it should. And it does protect. I would not feel the slightest bit shy about putting my Sceptre in the case to bring it around with me.

But I'm not sure how well any of the soft cases would work around here in the winter, with the humidity dropping to as low as 8-10% sometimes. So I'll use the RB when it is warmer, but stick with my hard shell cases for at-home every day storage.

-Kurt​

Yes I do use Mono- I have traveled with it all over- England, Australia, Atlanta, etc.... It hasn't let me down yet. It fits my DaSilva very nicely and it can fit the Compass Rose in it as well. I do prefer a hard case, but for travel, I love the Mono.

Here are some photos of my Reunion Blues case, concert size, with my Talsma custom semi-hollow bodied electric uke. There is a nice big pocket on the outside for cables. The backpack straps are heavily padded, so it is kind of thick. But it seems very sturdy, and I had sent this case to Dave Talsma to protect the uke in shipping, and it worked great. The electric is thinner than your average uke, so I usually add a bit of padding under the body to fill in the space so the neck can rest level on the neck rest. If I ever had to check a uke at an airport, I would choose this case.

–Lori

Tnx. Nice Uke!

Just remember there are the store bought reunion blues, and then there are the ones Glenn actually makes. I want one from Glenn. He is up there near you.
http://www.glenncronkhite.com/

Maybe you need to order one. We tried the RB and an Oahu hard case for your CR and it didn't fit well.

It is on my list. He gets a tracing from you, and makes it to order. His prices are very reasonable. I want one made in leather. Right now I am saving for a custom ukulele. Jay could take a uke to Berkeley and have Glenn trace it.

Last edited:
It is on my list. He gets a tracing from you, and makes it to order. His prices are very reasonable. I want one made in leather. Right now I am saving for a custom ukulele. Jay could take a uke to Berkeley and have Glenn trace it.

It doesn't mention any kind of pricing on his website. Can you give me a ballpark of what he might charge for a tenor uke?

I have two Mono cases, one RB, and an Access Stage III. At that level of instrument case, the similarities are greater than the differences. I like them all.

I have a Reunion Blues case, which I like a lot. And the good news is that a Super Tenor fits great in it.

My long scale William King won't fit in my RB case, but I've travelled on planes and trains internationally with other ukes with no worries or issues.

Top Bottom