PDA

View Full Version : Which soft case to get? Mono v. Reunion Blues v. Any others? I want to downsize.

blue_knight_usa
09-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi All, after years of getting ukes that come with cases, I have piled up a collection of excellent Uke Crazy and other cases. I am going to sell off quite a few in hopes of keeping just one case for my tenors and one for my concert. Do I keep my heavy Uke Crazy case with hygrometer and thermometer inside, or can I be safe with a Mono or Reunion Blues case.

The hard shells are super heavy so I can drop 2 pounds easily by going to a padded soft case.

Wondering if the Mono or Reunion Blues or Fusion or some other higher end soft type case with dense foam can offer excellent protection. Have you seen the videos dropping those Reunion Blues cases with instruments off the roof?

Anyone have any of these softer and much lighter cases and what is your experience with them? My Uke Crazy has a nice thick inside that fits any of my ukes and holds them snug. I think the Reunion Blues looks like it might be one of the best soft cases for my needs but curious of others with them and their feedback.

If you have photos you can post of your uke inside the open case that would be great! I'm leaning toward Reunion Blues to be my one and only case and maybe keep one hard shell uke crazy to ship builders to send my uke back so I'm not getting more cases!

I rest my CASE!

Tnx all.

Craig Chee
09-14-2013, 01:39 PM
I have not tried the Reunion Blues case yet, but I have had a few years with the Mono case. I have taken it to Australia and back a few times and felt very confident with it's protection. It makes a world of a difference walking with it on your back. Extremely light and heavily padded.

Ukejenny
09-14-2013, 01:43 PM
I have a Reunion Blues case, but not for ukulele. It is for my trumpet. Love it and it is one of the best gig bags I've ever owned. If you do get a Reunion Blues bag, I look forward to you doing a review on it.

blue_knight_usa
09-14-2013, 01:45 PM
I have not tried the Reunion Blues case yet, but I have had a few years with the Mono case. I have taken it to Australia and back a few times and felt very confident with it's protection. It makes a world of a difference walking with it on your back. Extremely light and heavily padded.

Thanks. Have any photos you can post of your uke in the case? Curious of the inside. Not sure anyone local has them but am going to check their website and see if someone local carries them. Appreciate the feedback!

I'm going to Australia next year and definitely don't want to lug my Uke Crazy. Awesome case but heavy to do traveling with.

blue_knight_usa
09-14-2013, 01:49 PM
I have a Reunion Blues case, but not for ukulele. It is for my trumpet. Love it and it is one of the best gig bags I've ever owned. If you do get a Reunion Blues bag, I look forward to you doing a review on it.

I will definitely do one. Throwing guitars off a roof and having the camera rolling and seeing them open the case is one hell of a sales tactic. Now they seem to land nearly flat but still, the shock on concrete you would think would snap that neck or crack it for sure. I wonder how many they tossed off roofs and did NOT SHOW? :-)

I will have to ask them that. Hehe.

Dan Uke
09-14-2013, 02:20 PM
I think Gary has a couple of nice cases. I have the RB and I personally like the backpack style vs. over one shoulder of the Mono

Lori
09-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Here are some photos of my Reunion Blues case, concert size, with my Talsma custom semi-hollow bodied electric uke. There is a nice big pocket on the outside for cables. The backpack straps are heavily padded, so it is kind of thick. But it seems very sturdy, and I had sent this case to Dave Talsma to protect the uke in shipping, and it worked great. The electric is thinner than your average uke, so I usually add a bit of padding under the body to fill in the space so the neck can rest level on the neck rest. If I ever had to check a uke at an airport, I would choose this case.

–Lori

coolkayaker1
09-14-2013, 03:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zJVKcLAZuQ

I have a RB Continental case for baritone, tenor and concert sizes (i.e. three RB Continentals). I have a single Mono80 tenor case, also.

For quick run into a uke meeting, I could use the Mono or the RBC. The Mono case is decidedly slimmer and "lower profile". It is slightly lighter. It's outer "skin" is thinner and more tear-able.

For serious uke protection, e.g. in back of my SUV, RBC every time. It's a more substantial case. I'd use an RBC over a hard case (e.g. Fremont) every time.

If I could have one case. Any case in the world, but only one case... RB Continental.

Lori--I've never seen your Talsma before. That uke is insanely good! I love it!

greenie44
09-14-2013, 05:39 PM
I have a Reunion Blues case, which I like a lot. And the good news is that a Super Tenor fits great in it.

ksiegel
09-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Well, I've never used a mono case, but noticed many of the pro-level players at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival were using them. I think Sarah Maisel uses one for her DaSilva.

Rick Turner has said how he is very happy with his leather RB mandolin case for his ukes - and having seen them, they are both beautiful cases, and look like they will do a great job protecting the instruments.

I bought a used case from Gerald Ross here in UU - tenor size, and it had a problem with one of the clips, so Gerald put a different connector on. Looks very strange, but works exactly as it should. And it does protect. I would not feel the slightest bit shy about putting my Sceptre in the case to bring it around with me.

But I'm not sure how well any of the soft cases would work around here in the winter, with the humidity dropping to as low as 8-10% sometimes. So I'll use the RB when it is warmer, but stick with my hard shell cases for at-home every day storage.

-Kurt

Sarah Maisel
09-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Well, I've never used a mono case, but noticed many of the pro-level players at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival were using them. I think Sarah Maisel uses one for her DaSilva.

Rick Turner has said how he is very happy with his leather RB mandolin case for his ukes - and having seen them, they are both beautiful cases, and look like they will do a great job protecting the instruments.

I bought a used case from Gerald Ross here in UU - tenor size, and it had a problem with one of the clips, so Gerald put a different connector on. Looks very strange, but works exactly as it should. And it does protect. I would not feel the slightest bit shy about putting my Sceptre in the case to bring it around with me.

But I'm not sure how well any of the soft cases would work around here in the winter, with the humidity dropping to as low as 8-10% sometimes. So I'll use the RB when it is warmer, but stick with my hard shell cases for at-home every day storage.

-Kurt

Yes I do use Mono- I have traveled with it all over- England, Australia, Atlanta, etc.... It hasn't let me down yet. It fits my DaSilva very nicely and it can fit the Compass Rose in it as well. I do prefer a hard case, but for travel, I love the Mono.

blue_knight_usa
09-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Here are some photos of my Reunion Blues case, concert size, with my Talsma custom semi-hollow bodied electric uke. There is a nice big pocket on the outside for cables. The backpack straps are heavily padded, so it is kind of thick. But it seems very sturdy, and I had sent this case to Dave Talsma to protect the uke in shipping, and it worked great. The electric is thinner than your average uke, so I usually add a bit of padding under the body to fill in the space so the neck can rest level on the neck rest. If I ever had to check a uke at an airport, I would choose this case.

–Lori

Tnx. Nice Uke!

Newportlocal
09-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Just remember there are the store bought reunion blues, and then there are the ones Glenn actually makes. I want one from Glenn. He is up there near you.
http://www.glenncronkhite.com/

Dan Uke
09-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Just remember there are the store bought reunion blues, and then there are the ones Glenn actually makes. I want one from Glenn. He is up there near you.

Maybe you need to order one. We tried the RB and an Oahu hard case for your CR and it didn't fit well.

Newportlocal
09-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Maybe you need to order one. We tried the RB and an Oahu hard case for your CR and it didn't fit well.

It is on my list. He gets a tracing from you, and makes it to order. His prices are very reasonable. I want one made in leather. Right now I am saving for a custom ukulele. Jay could take a uke to Berkeley and have Glenn trace it.

consitter
09-14-2013, 09:01 PM
It is on my list. He gets a tracing from you, and makes it to order. His prices are very reasonable. I want one made in leather. Right now I am saving for a custom ukulele. Jay could take a uke to Berkeley and have Glenn trace it.

It doesn't mention any kind of pricing on his website. Can you give me a ballpark of what he might charge for a tenor uke?

bborzell
09-14-2013, 09:01 PM
I have two Mono cases, one RB, and an Access Stage III. At that level of instrument case, the similarities are greater than the differences. I like them all.

Newportlocal
09-14-2013, 09:11 PM
It doesn't mention any kind of pricing on his website. Can you give me a ballpark of what he might charge for a tenor uke?

Last time I checked approximately $258 leather, $191 cordura. These are handmade custom fit cases.

consitter
09-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Last time I checked approximately $258 leather, $191 cordura. These are handmade custom fit cases.

I may have to contact him to see if he can do a Sceptre. My FIL has his in a cheap foam case now that it rattles around in. Not good.

didgeridoo2
09-15-2013, 05:17 AM
I have a Reunion Blues case, which I like a lot. And the good news is that a Super Tenor fits great in it.

My long scale William King won't fit in my RB case, but I've travelled on planes and trains internationally with other ukes with no worries or issues.

gyosh
09-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Hey Jay, PM me. I have an RB bag I tried to sell in Napa but they forgot to put it out (I thought it sold so I didn't think anything of it). If you don't mind hardly used.

I'll let you know what I think and why I'm parting with that one versus the F1 Fusion Limited or the Access bag that came with my CR.

blue_knight_usa
09-15-2013, 05:38 AM

I know of him and completely forgot about him. What would be cool is a custom case with two inserts so you could used it for different instruments or if its all sewn in, maybe an insert that goes inside to make it a two in one case. I will have to call him. Tnx for the reminder!

blue_knight_usa
09-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Hey Jay, PM me. I have an RB bag I tried to sell in Napa but they forgot to put it out (I thought it sold so I didn't think anything of it). If you don't mind hardly used.

I'll let you know what I think and why I'm parting with that one versus the F1 Fusion Limited or the Access bag that came with my CR.
Ok PM sent now.

cigarfan
09-15-2013, 05:49 AM

Sounds like I better give Glenn a call. My Mako came in a hard case but it sloshes around so I've had to pack soft cloths in around it.

Newportlocal
09-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Sounds like I better give Glenn a call. My Mako came in a hard case but it sloshes around so I've had to pack soft cloths in around it.

Now I get your avatar. Since I have caught lots of Makos. I thought maybe you were a fisherman. My buddy Mako Matt's boat caught a new world record Mako out of Huntington Beach.

cigarfan
09-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Now I get your avatar. Since I have caught lots of Makos. I thought maybe you were a fisherman. My buddy Mako Matt's boat caught a new world record Mako out of Huntington Beach.

LOL. A fisherman I'm not but I think I caught a big one in my Mako Tenor. Beautiful to look at and sounds fantastic.

My Dad used to live in Hungtington Beach. Spent many evenings playing music around the firepits on the beach. Good times!

Newportlocal
09-15-2013, 09:40 AM
LOL. A fisherman I'm not but I think I caught a big one in my Mako Tenor. Beautiful to look at and sounds fantastic.

My Dad used to live in Hungtington Beach. Spent many evenings playing music around the firepits on the beach. Good times!

Definitely good times. I was looking at some Mako tenors after your comment. They look very nice.

Dan Uke
09-15-2013, 11:06 AM
A custom case might be needed for some of the Maccaferri designs as they typically have larger lower bout.

blue_knight_usa
09-25-2013, 04:32 AM

Glenn does not make cases for ukuleles. I wrote him and here is his reply. Bummer!

Hi Jay

I do appreciate your interest but I do not make cases for ukuleles.
With a small crew and shop I had to concentrate on the players that
need my work the most.
People that constantly on the road and without a bag would be
checking their instrument which is a nightmare. A uke is small
enough to tuck under your arm in
the hard case so I focused in other directions.

Thanks for your inquiry, sorry not to be of help.
Glenn

cigarfan
09-25-2013, 04:43 AM
Glenn does not make cases for ukuleles. I wrote him and here is his reply. Bummer!

Hi Jay

I do appreciate your interest but I do not make cases for ukuleles.
With a small crew and shop I had to concentrate on the players that
need my work the most.
People that constantly on the road and without a bag would be
checking their instrument which is a nightmare. A uke is small
enough to tuck under your arm in
the hard case so I focused in other directions.

Thanks for your inquiry, sorry not to be of help.
Glenn

Thanks for the heads up. I did a little checking and it seems the Crossrock 800 series will fit my Mako.

coolkayaker1
09-27-2013, 04:36 PM
MKatz, I'll bump this for you. This topic comes up on UU, yes, even air and car travel for these two cases, monthly.

mkatz
09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
MKatz, I'll bump this for you. This topic comes up on UU, yes, even air and car travel for these two cases, monthly.

Thanks coolkayaker. I went ahead and ordered the Guardian so I can compare it to the RB and see if the RB is worth the difference in price.

Mitch

Curly Koa
09-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Love my RB tenor case, but my Kanilea tenor with slotted headstock doesn't quite fit. The cobra headstock will likely fit, but the slotted is a bit too big. Just barely. I take another uke around in the RB when I travel and don't worry about it at all.

blue_knight_usa
09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
I just picked up a RB case. Absolutely love it. It is almost as heavy as my hard case but the inside is much more plush, secures the neck extremely well, has many pockets to hold tuner, extra tuner batteries, strings, etc, and the backpack straps really help traveling with it so you don't have to have a uke in your hands. The quality of the case feels extremely durable. Now I can shelve my hard cases for every day traveling and my airline travel. The one thing I like is if you bump your hard case you send a shock to the uke, where this case absorbs the shock extremely well. Anyhow it's a great case, and so is the Fusion F1 and some of the other cases. I couldn't pass up the deal on this one for the price since I got it used. It has never really been used so it's like brand new. Thanks Gyosh for a great case!!