Waiting on Gretsch Solid Tenor

harpdog cc

Reaction score
Ordered the Gretsch 9120-SM solid tenor on Aug 31. Took 14 days (there was a holiday weekend in there) before it shipped from Hawaii; during which it was set for set-up and K & K Aloha Twin pickup installation. Left California yesterday (Saturday) with Fedex warning of Colorado floods slowing some shipments.
Wonder if I'll see it in the Chicago 'burbs tomorrow???

Good thing I don't change my mind once I want something...

Congrats. You will love it. I bought one for my husband's birthday and we love it. Very sweet sounding and very nice looking. I wish they made a solid soprano. I'd order one immediately.

Gretsch.jpg

Wow, really nice ukulele! It has that light vibrant feel of finer instruments. Mine is low G, and sounds beautiful.
I especially want to congratulate the people at The Ukulele Site / Hawaii Music Supply for the excellent set up, customized perfectly to my requests.
The action could not be better. Nice job on the K & K Aloha Twin pickup installation - sounds natural.

Very beautiful finish, wonderful uke.

Congratulations on your new uke! I really like the Gretsch ukes I've tried and HMS does a great job with the set-up.

I've been waiting since Aug. 6 for a Gretsch G9121 all mahogany cutaway a/e from N'stuff in Pennsylvania for $199. They say it's on the boat and will arrive mid to later Sept. They will do the setup and free shipping. Can't wait after reading many positive things about Gretsch mahoganies.

uke3 Gretsch G9121 Tenor A.C.E .jpg

Last edited:
I love it. It has that "pop" sound of a reral well made uke. Kind of reminds me of the Ukebrand I had some years back.

Gretsch2_zpsbefd82d2.jpg

Gretsch3_zpsbf966db1.jpg

Bought one a couple weeks ago at a local shop. Tried it against Lehua Trad, Martin Koa, Vineyard and various Kala tenors. The Gretsch was hands down winner. Really thought I'd buy the Martin. Gretsch was better looking and sounding. Neck's kinda thicker, and it felt better to me. Plays like a much more expensive uke. I've had RL Saul, MP, Koaloha, vintage Martin and Kamaka's and this compares well with any of them, on a dollar for note basis. Went by Ron Saul's shop, happened upon him, Mike P., and Don Young {National}. They all had a lot of fun, and nothing bad to say about it. Ron's tooling up for tenors, I'll get one of his yet.
I've still got the stock, new type Aquila's on it. Anyone try anything else they like better? I had Guadalupe wounds on my Pono, tempted to track down another set of them. Anyway, very happy camper for $301.00......

Last edited:
I had 2 of the 9121 cutaway tenors. One I strung with red aquilas Low G , awesome sounding. I sold that one and the one now I have south coast low g light medium strings, 2 rounds G and C strings. Took that Uke into a store and played side by side with Martin T1K Mexico, the IZ Commendable model And a Vintage 50's Martin Tenor. I left the store with my Gretsch. The guys in the store were blown away by the sound.

There you go.

Top Bottom