Koa tenor and concert builds

Garry Petrisic

Reaction score
Built an all koa tenor with LR baggs FiveO pick up. Also a nice Koa with mango back for a friend of mine in a uke club. Decent ukes are hard to sell for a price to club types over here as most of them are retired. they all want to play 50 dollar ukes just for fun. I suppose that is what it is all about. Photo1920.jpgPhoto1923.jpgPhoto1928.jpgPhoto2080.jpgPhoto2086.jpg

looks good mate!
Reminds me of Mark Roberts ukes

Thanks for the compliment. Coming from such a skilled builder makes it worth the effort. It is a hobby for me which I am trying to turn into a vocation now that I am retired. I have also built a number of guitars. My work is not considered to be mainsteam as I enjoy making one off designs using little used bracing methods. I like all raised fingerboards and make on piece necks. I use different timbers for backs and sides on occasion and am against holes in the middle of instruments where they need the most strength. Worked so far.

Hi Garry - in the same token, sourcing ukes better than the $50 version locally is not all that easy either. (well there are a very few exceptions). I am interested (not retired and am loving my uke journey) - love the look of your tenor. Will send a PM

Shawn

Yes , top is an induced arch. Internal bracing is A frame which I use on my guitars as well. Looked at a lot of ukes all over before deciding on the leaf shape sound holes. on on top and one in the lower bout. Koa is beautiful. If you would like some more pics let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.
The tenor is for sale. The concert was made for a good friend at cost. He has shown it off all over at uke festivals and had a little interest. Main thing was the cost for the average player who just has fun. Seroius musos might look at them but there are so many really great makers out there with good names that someone like myself has no chance unless you can meet the player face to face and they fall in love with the instrument.

Thanks for the compliment. As a hobby builder I always try to make them pretty but playable for the serious muso.
Just in a steep learning curve to make them super responsive. The little archtop uke I made as my first one is a hit everywhere it is shown and played. I may make another soon.

They are beautiful ukuleles. I like the sound holes design. Envy :)

Look at theim again.
They are realy nice, sweet shapes,
and well done.
Chapeau bas!
From France.

Thanks Hammond. The design is drawn freehand. I apply a backing of lighter wood such as spruce and then drill out and file the shapes until I am happy with the proportions. This design was influenced by one of my mentors, the great Bob Benedetto. He uses leaf style patterns in some of his archtop work.
Regards Garry.

Probably around 650 dollars. The pick up was 160 by itself. I think this is an extremely cheap price for the effort. Like anything the player would need to try it out. I do not know anyone who would buy a uke from an unknown maker sight unseen and not tried out to thier satisfaction.[ATTACHPhoto2058.jpgPhoto2060.jpg=CONFIG]58825[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Photo2011.jpg
    Photo2011.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 36
I thank you again for the wonderful compliment.
Nice female shapes are always pretty. Nice and warm to hold and a sweet mellow sound. Not loud but a nice voice.
Regards Garry.

Garry,
Thank you for explaining the leaf design. They have the natural spirit from the look, especially the leaf, and the so natural wood finish. I bet you put very much effort on them. Congratulations! They are beautiful :)
Hammond

Thankyou again Hammond. I keep the wood natural and apply only Tung oil or white shellac. I like all the shiny ukes out there as well that people go to so much trouble with to put lots of added bling. I try to keep mine absolutely natural.
Regards Garry.

Top Bottom